Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2024 3:03:38 AM EDT
Well they are at it again, with plans to close thousands more miles of trails in neighboring counties.

I hate these motherfuckers so fucking much!

https://etvnews.com/discussion-meeting-hosted-for-possible-road-closures-in-the-swell/
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Nine mile canyon makes sense. Good closure.

Douchebag off-roaders and constant heavy oilfield traffic has destroyed the roads in nine mile. Vandals also have defaced and destroyed easily accessible petroglyphs in the canyon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a guy who goes out and uncloses forest roads . Knocks down the berms they build. Cuts up and removes the large trees they knock over the roads.  Fun hobby when it's not hunting season while cruising around in the woods.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s just like gun control with these assholes.  “Common sense trail closures.”   Then they always come back next year wanting another piece of the pie.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I know a guy who goes out and uncloses forest roads . Knocks down the berms they build. Cuts up and removes the large trees they knock over the roads.  Fun hobby when it's not hunting season while cruising around in the woods.
View Quote

We need more like this guy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]
They did it here.
They made a rule of no non tagged vehicles on numbered roads.
Thy then remapped and numbered every road.
Then they built 2 or 3 specific ohv trail areas( which require a tag/sticker permit )....bike trails and horse trails...closed 75% of the non fee primitivecamp areas..and said enjoy the outdoors kiddos...
Now the main roads get tore up by the mall crawlers instead lol

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#6]
They aren't at it again though. They have lobbied for redistricting of a ton of areas and are are working with blm a section at a time.
Follow
BlueRibbon Coalition for more info.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By protus:
They did it here.
Then they built 2 or 3 specific ohv trail areas( which require a tag/sticker permit )....bike trails and horse trails...closed 75% of the non fee primitivecamp areas..and said enjoy the outdoors kiddos...

View Quote

@protus
Which wma’s I ride north Florida and it it my living to do so with horses.
I have not noticed it where I ride, but I’m trying to expand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m torn. On one hand, I am instantly suspicious of the motivations of these people.
On the other hand, if I wanted to walk around dodging vehicles, I would just take a walk in downtown charlotte.
Fuck, I don’t even want to share a trail with mountain bikers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:
I'm torn. On one hand, I am instantly suspicious of the motivations of these people.
On the other hand, if I wanted to walk around dodging vehicles, I would just take a walk in downtown charlotte.
Fuck, I don't even want to share a trail with mountain bikers.
View Quote
So basically it's ok for you to use it how you want but no one else ?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fingas:
So basically it's ok for you to use it how you want but no one else ?
View Quote

Need to have  trails/areas for different uses. 4x4 and horses do not mix at all. That is a safety issue.

An enjoyment issue is motorized vehicles and pedestrians. It is also one sided. A pedestrian does not disturb a rider nearly so much as a rider disturbed a pedestrian.

There is enough space for everybody. Separate but equal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 80085:

Douchebag off-roaders and constant heavy oilfield traffic has destroyed the roads in nine mile. Vandals also have defaced and destroyed easily accessible petroglyphs in the canyon.
View Quote

There's a better way, man.

Limit daily entry by number.  Regulate non recreational heavy and oversize loads, and ticket vandals and drunks.

Don't eliminate access.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m torn. On one hand, I am instantly suspicious of the motivations of these people.
View Quote

I'm with this guy.  Hell  I've been rock crawling, and even then I thought it was dumb.  Going super slow and banging up your truck, when it's faster to just walk.

Now driving on the beach, that makes some sense.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:30:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#15]
Sadly, once they start, you never get it back.

I've been involved in many such issues. The way to do it is head them off with others and force them to rethink an entire management plan. Bring it to light instead of just letting them close it all. They are government workers. Lazy and they don't care. If it gets chained off, they get to do nothing. that's really their goal. To sit on their asses and collect a check.
Network, organize with other groups and fight for multi-use trail access.
Yes, you will be fighting alongside mountain bikers, horse people, hikers, etc., but together you can force them to keep access to areas.

It's a lot of work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

This right here......everyone wants public land for their own thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By protus:
They did it here.

View Quote

I am still scratching my head over why they changed the forest road numbers that have been the same for over 50 years that I know of. Still makes no sense to have to replace every sign. Not counting the cost of doing that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#18]
They do the same stuff here in NY but it’s all the state level, almost no Fed acreage here.  

The green weenies have their power base and have taken over most groups that have the ears of the state agency.  They closed down vehicular access to 2/3 of one recreational area I used  go and my family camped in since I was in diapers.  The groups get grant money to do trail grooming.  They take the grants and do almost nothing.  Literally walk the trail with hand pruners.  No removal of downed trees across the trail, no fixing washouts, nope, just clip new branches up to 3mm thick.   Why bother.  Then after half a mile and the photo op they leave.  

Their latest win was to get drones banned as motor vehicles or aircraft,....I think the latter when I put my pre coffee brain to it.

They constantly close down fire truck roads and trails used by ATVs and snowmobiles.   Snowmobile trails that have been there for 50 years.  Then on the ones that are remaining the weenies fight them on those trail maintenance specs, trying to force them to be so narrow in width that they’re no longer safe for two way traffic and not up to code for trails.  

They shut out the float plane service that had been a thing since the thirties and forties.  They are now restricted to pretty much lakes you can drive a car to.

I get so sick of those sanctimonious fucks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

I'm with this guy.  Hell  I've been rock crawling, and even then I thought it was dumb.  Going super slow and banging up your truck, when it's faster to just walk.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm torn. On one hand, I am instantly suspicious of the motivations of these people.

So you two are the arbiter of what people can do
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a friend that would purposefull go ride those trails. He had a motorcycle small enough to pick up and carry around obstacles. I asked if he was afraid of getting ticketted. He said "how they gonna catch me on foot"
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By phil3333:
So you two are the arbiter of what people can do
View Quote

Yep.

Deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lorax:
Sadly, once they start, you never get it back.

I've been involved in many such issues. The way to do it is head them off with others and force them to rethink an entire management plan. Bring it to light instead of just letting them close it all. They are government workers. Lazy and they don't care. If it gets chained off, they get to do nothing. that's really their goal. To sit on their asses and collect a check.
Network, organize with other groups and fight for multi-use trail access.
Yes, you will be fighting alongside mountain bikers, horse people, hikers, etc., but together you can force them to keep access to areas.

It's a lot of work.
View Quote

This.
Next will be to close the trails to horses and bikes because of "erosion". You will be able to use any trail you can walk to from your domicile.
Their actual goal is to force everyone into their ten minute cities. Sheboygan is working on this now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

There's a billion hiker-only trails you can use.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#24]
It might not be an exact comparison but if it's like the UTV/ATV crowd in WI they can be their own worst enemy. There seems to a minority that will do everything in their power to give the anti's great examples of reasons to limit or not expand trail systems. You know, the straight brim brothers who think doing donuts on the local golf course with their lowered Can-Am is a good way to raise community support.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Yeah, but the nimby's want yours too.

This thread is exposing them quicker than the corner crossing thread.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Some of the western public land areas are so vast and big that if you can't drive in to go hiking somewhere you weren't going to be hiking there at all. Are you really going to walk dozens of miles just to get to the trailhead?
Closing some of these areas to vehicles effectively close the land.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#27]

Need to have  trails/areas for different uses. 4x4 and horses do not mix at all. That is a safety issue
View All Quotes

Need to have  trails/areas for different uses. 4x4 and horses do not mix at all. That is a safety issue

Around here, ATVs, SxS, and 4x4s safely share trails with hikers, cyclists, motorcyclists, cattle, and yes, even horses - It's kind of uncommon for us to do a trip and not see at least one person on a horse.  Utah and North Carolina are super different places, my man.

Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Some of the western public land areas are so vast and big that if you can't drive in to go hiking somewhere you weren't going to be hiking there at all.

Yeah, anyone talking about western trails and downtown Charlotte in the same sentence probably has no concept of what's actually being talked about in this article.  Some of the places we go, we see other humans maybe once or twice a day, or maybe none at all.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Move to a free state?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I may have missed it, was there ever any (good) reason given by the BLM or whoever for wanting to close these trails?

I have a feeling if they do close them, some SxSs and a lot of dirt bikes will just route around the closures making things even worse.
That's what I have seen in many areas we have ridden. I've even seen them doing it.
I am always respectful of any road closures or private property signs when I see them.

View Quote

I just have to wonder how many folks and how often walk the majority of these trails???
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#30]
The NPS is not concerned about visitation
They are only concerned about protecting the resource and bowing to Indians.
They are an entrenched leftist bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#31]
F*ck these bastards. Not everyone is 20 something with a government job that gets thirty days paid vacation that can go “hike the wilderness”. You’re talking very vast and harsh regions. These roads already exist. Many for over a hundred years.
Like Cox would even try to tell them to pound sad…🤬
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Yeah, no. Now only the privileged get to see it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#33]
UTV/ATVs ruined it for everyone else. UTV owners are universally hated, have no trail manners and are almost always newbies that are clueless. Ruined trails and access all over the United States.

I personally can't stand them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Privatize everything.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Lots of areas here in WA that I used to explore with my dad in his Bronco as a kid, where you are now met with the sight of a locked yellow gate at the entrance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I won’t condone vandalism, but I’ll bet off-roaders visit and enjoy that area 100:1 over petroglyph enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Any area they close should be closed to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By refidnasb:
UTV/ATVs ruined it for everyone else. UTV owners are universally hated, have no trail manners and are almost always newbies that are clueless. Ruined trails and access all over the United States.

I personally can't stand them.
View Quote

Retard chariots certainly haven't helped the cause.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

That place looks cool.

9 Mile Canyon Tour - Rock Art, Granaries, and Beautiful Canyons
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By callmestick:
Any area they close should be closed to everyone.
View Quote

That's the objective.

Animals are sacred, humans must die.  Reduce global population to 500 million and all that.

Misanthropy masquerading as virtue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

People that want to close public lands can kiss my ass.

Just because you don't personally enjoy off-roading doesn't mean you get to stop everyone else from doing it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Need to have  trails/areas for different uses. 4x4 and horses do not mix at all. That is a safety issue.

An enjoyment issue is motorized vehicles and pedestrians. It is also one sided. A pedestrian does not disturb a rider nearly so much as a rider disturbed a pedestrian.

There is enough space for everybody. Separate but equal.
View Quote

lol, gun owners wanting government to "solve" their problems are like having a pedo babysit your kid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#43]
If entitled assholes did not tear up, fuck up, deface and leave piles of trash, the trails would not need to be closed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

So just because you don't like it, then the rest of us shouldn't be able to enjoy our passion?

I hope some of you tools that want what other people love to do taken away lose something equally as important to you, maybe then you'll understand why allowing government to rule your life is wrong.

This shit pisses me off so much, then we have so called small government conservatives saying it's a great idea.

I like my account, so I'm not saying what I really want to say about this crap.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fordtuff] [#45]
If people are fucking shit up then arrest them,  just like anything else in society.  If some dude went to the water park and started throwing m80s into the water you arrest him not close the water park.   Regardless if you like offroading or not this is bad.  It's just another way they're closing us off
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
If entitled assholes did not tear up, fuck up, deface and leave piles of trash, the trails would not need to be closed.
View Quote

You know how I know you've never spent much if any time on these trails?

There's very little garbage in Moab, I've spent hundreds of days on those trails, and when I do find garbage, I pack it out, always have a large trash bag with me, and 99% of the time I don't use it.

The people that are the problem are the morons that go out on forest roads and dump trash piles or take their RV's and cook meth.

It's pretty tough to destroy solid rock with rubber tires. As long as people stay on the trail there's no problem, and people do go off trail at times for different reasons, but the vast majority cause no trouble.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fordtuff:
If people are fucking shit up then arrest them,  just like anything else in society.  If some dude went to the water park and started throwing m80s into the water you arrest him not close the water park.   Regardless if you like offloading or not this is bad.  It's just another way they're closing us off
View Quote

They're not closing these trails because people are causing problems, they're closing the trails because they want people to stay out, period, they don't want humans out there. I've talked to these people closing the trails many times in meetings, and they've admited that they don't give a shit about anyone, they just want the land closed to human use.

And yet, we have idiots here that are siding with environmentalists that want you in the city where you belong, and never out in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By zukguy:

Just because you don't personally enjoy off-roading doesn't mean you get to stop everyone else from doing it.
View All Quotes

He sounds like a gun grabber
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#49]

There's very little garbage in Moab, I've spent hundreds of days on those trails, and when I do find garbage, I pack it out, always have a large trash bag with me, and 99% of the time I don't use it.

The people that are the problem are the morons that go out on forest roads and dump trash piles or take their RV's and cook meth.

It's pretty tough to destroy solid rock with rubber tires. As long as people stay on the trail there's no problem, and people do go off trail at times for different reasons, but the vast majority cause no trouble.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

I was shocked at how clean Moab is, I’ve been a few times and have almost never seen trash anywhere
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

If the roads and glyphs are already destroyed, what's the harm now?  Fuck the BLM.  Both of them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top