Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2024 3:53:32 PM EDT
I have a mid-2015 retina MacBook Pro that has a swolen battery (which is causing the case to bulge).

I have checked the serial number, and unfortunately it is not one of the ones that is eligible for a free replacement from Apple.

So I would like to replace it myself, with an aftermarket battery.

I've watched several YouTube videos, so I have a good idea of what's required to do the replacement.

I've found many suppliers on eBay and on amazon that offer replacement battery packs for my model - which is A1398.

The reviews are all over the place, with some claiming that they got a great battery from a certain vendor, while others claim that what that same vendor sent them is crap that either doesn't hold the advertised charge, or causes even worse problems. I've had problems with fraudulent aftermarket batteries that I've purchased from eBay or amazon before (for a smartphone), and I'd expect that fraud is rampant in both places.

While I'd like to avoid problems, I'm also not ready to pay Apple prices for a battery replacement for a laptop that is close to 10 years old (but still would have adequate life left in it if I were able to get a properly-functioning battery for it, replace a few keytops, air out the accumulated dust inside the case, and maybe consider renewing the CPU's thermal compound).

Anyone here care to share their experience with any such aftermarket replacement battery vendors, either positive or negative?  (OK, that 'positive or negative' battery pun was unintentional - I swear it!)

The system claims to have only gone through a little over 100 battery recharge cycles - but I have my doubts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
We had Apple do ours. Made an appointment - cost was at the time not bad. Showed up and no battery.
Got a voucher for a free battery and they called us when it came in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Not helping with a new battery,  I am typing this on a late 2015 iMac.  It will no longer update to the latest software.  Essentially living it's last year.  Bite the bullet and get a newer macbook.  or not.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've replaced macbook pro and air batteries, but I always bought from iFixit.com. But you're probably looking at or near Apple prices. Looks like their battery kit for your dinosaur is about $120, as compared to the $40-45 on eBay.

I'd spend Apple money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:
Not helping with a new battery,  I am typing this on a late 2015 iMac.  It will no longer update to the latest software.  Essentially living it's last year.  Bite the bullet and get a newer macbook.  or not.  

View Quote

Monterey is only what - one release behind current Sonoma? Or is it two?

I just bought a refurb 2019 retina MacBook Pro to replace it for critical stuff for work (migrating to that one right now) - but the 2015 has plenty of life left in it once the battery and other stuff are taken care of.

And that's not my only computer, rather on the Windows side I just got a new Lenovo Slim Pro i9 laptop, and a Lenovo 10th gen i7 SFF desktop - and I have a Dell 5530 12-gen i5 as well as some others.

So I do want to go ahead with a fix, but paying Apple prices is a non-starter.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

I just bought a refurb 2019 retina MacBook Pro to replace it for critical stuff for work (migrating to that one right now) - but the 2015 has plenty of life left in it once the battery and other stuff are taken care of.

And that's not my only computer, rather on the Windows side I just got a new Lenovo Slim Pro i9 laptop, and a Lenovo 10th gen i7 SFF desktop - and I have a Dell 5530 12-gen i5 as well as some others.

View Quote

OK.  I'm not sure how far back Monterey is.  But I already have issues.  But you got a later mac for crucial stuff and a lot of computers so you know what you are doing.

Last year I bought a Macbook Pro M2 and was awed by the performance.  Yeah I get it a shit ton of money for a damn computer.  I am still typing this on the old iMac though cause I LOVE the 27" screen.  If they still made an iMac 27" I'd buy it.  I'm gonna figure out how to convert the iMac into a screen for the Macbook so I don't have to give up on the larger screen.  Probably not hard just need enough motivation and the next time the iMac gives me problems it's a done deal. Wish I had info on a battery exchange.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]

OK.  I'm not sure how far back Monterey is.  But I already have issues.  But you got a later mac for crucial stuff and a lot of computers so you know what you are doing.

Last year I bought a Macbook Pro M2 and was awed by the performance.  Yeah I get it a shit ton of money for a damn computer.  I am still typing this on the old iMac though cause I LOVE the 27" screen.  If they still made an iMac 27" I'd buy it.  I'm gonna figure out how to convert the iMac into a screen for the Macbook so I don't have to give up on the larger screen.  Probably not hard just need enough motivation and the next time the iMac gives me problems it's a done deal. Wish I had info on a battery exchange.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah - it would certainly be nice to get an M2 - someday…

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I put ubuntu on my older macbook pro after the Brave browser stopped updating due to outdated macOS

I forget what model it is now... but you can get a few more years out of them if you move away from macOS

sorry i cant help with the battery info.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
macsales.com has basically everything you will ever need.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

It's a life changing performance difference just for the record.  This M1 I'm typing this on is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:58:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#10]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
i can guess from your cycle count.  you never used the battery and kept it plugged in all the time

my 2021 battery has almost 200 battery cycles.    yours is years older and barely has that.

unplug the laptop when its not in use.   and use the battery....

at that age i would replace the device.... or remove the battery and use it as a desktop which i am guessing you have been for the life of the laptop... the batteries you would buy would all be end of shelf life anyways

View All Quotes
i can guess from your cycle count.  you never used the battery and kept it plugged in all the time

my 2021 battery has almost 200 battery cycles.    yours is years older and barely has that.

at that age i would replace the device.... or remove the battery and use it as a desktop which i am guessing you have been for the life of the laptop... the batteries you would buy would all be end of shelf life anyways

Yes, I have mostly left it plugged in.

the batteries you would buy would all be end of shelf life anyways

Are you suggesting that since the laptop model(s) that the aftermarket batteries are targeted for are 'old', that the batteries themselves would likely not be from current production runs, or something else?

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Are you suggesting that since the laptop model(s) that the aftermarket batteries are targeted for are 'old', that the batteries themselves would likely not be from current production runs, or something else?

View All Quotes

the batteries you would buy would all be end of shelf life anyways

I'm pretty sure that's not an accurate assertion by him. take a look at macsales, they've got everything, and I'm sure they're not selling batteries that are past their shelf life.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Google lithium ion shelf life

you are wasting your time and money if you pursue this
View Quote

You are glossing over too many unstated assumptions in order to arrive at your conclusions for me to accept that as "the last word".

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]

You are glossing over too many unstated assumptions in order to arrive at your conclusions for me to accept that as "the last word".

View All Quotes
Google lithium ion shelf life

you are wasting your time and money if you pursue this

I have personally replaced a battery in a MacBook the same series as yours. I know others who have as well.  It will be fine.  It's not like we forgot how to make batteries and the only ones in existence stopped being made twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I would just pay the $129.
that covers parts labor and gives the machine a new 90 warranty.

Not all aftermarket batteries are created equal and none of them are equal to OEM.
That's not to say you couldn't use an aftermarket and be fine, but just know there are components in the OEM you are not getting in the aftermarket that effect usage, life and safety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top