Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 11:50:49 AM EDT
I know, asking for the impossible.  But our glass cooktop said do not use with cast iron pots and pans. I’m assuming they will scratch the glass very easy.
I hate the typical black teflon lined pans because I hate trying to use a plastic spatula to get a nice crispy “burn” on foods like burgers and corned beef hash.  A thin metal spatula cuts between the food and the pan. Ours are now destroyed after three years of use.

How are the new diamond finished pans?  Anything else?  I never could get my hash the way I like it off a stainless pan.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbon steel?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Carbon steel?
View Quote

fpni
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
We've been using cast iron on the same glass top for 16 years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It would appear that you just moved your cooking operation outside and bought a new Blackstone Gas Griddle.
Congratulations
What Temperature To Cook at On Your Griddle
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottsGT] [#5]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
It would appear that you just moved your cooking operation outside and bought a new Blackstone Gas Griddle.
Congratulations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhdxmvAykqs
View Quote

I’ll starve before cooking outside in the SC summer with 97% humidity.  If my wife wouldn’t lose her shit I’d buy a hot plate and keep it on the counter top just for the cast iron.  She hates anything on the countertops.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I like to do a wok toss and pan flip with most of my things.  Glass is not for professionals.  Cure the disease, not the symptom.

86 that shitty cook top.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#7]
Carbon steel and stainless clad if you know how to use them. These are by made in.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

I'll starve before cooking outside in the SC summer with 97% humidity.  If my wife wouldn't lose her shit I'd buy a hot plate and keep it on the counter top just for the cast iron.  She hates anything on the countertops.
View Quote

I just bought an induction portable for experimentation.  So far, I would highly recommend following this path.  My kitchen is going to be torn apart for at least a month during remodel and I needed a back up plan.  Many cooktops and portables say they are induction and they are not. Some also have glass tops, which are garbage.

I have been doing wok tosses on this for a couple weeks now:

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I like to do a wok toss and pan flip with most of my things.  Glass is not for professionals.  Cure the disease, not the symptom.

86 that shitty cook top.  

View Quote

I cut my granite and installed that new shitty cooktop less than a year ago. Not gonna replace it anytime soon. Nope. Besides, I’m far from a pro. But I do like to get a good sear from a nice skillet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

I just bought an induction portable for experimentation.  So far, I would highly recommend following this path.  My kitchen is going to be torn apart for at least a month during remodel and I needed a back up plan.  Many cooktops and portables say they are induction and they are not. Some also have glass tops, which are garbage.

I have been doing wok tosses on this for a couple weeks now:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/cooktop-3188688.png

View Quote

+1 love induction cooking. Quickly gets pans hotter than hinges of hell but also makes stuff like cooking perfect rice super easy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:51:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been using cast iron and carbon steel on my glass cooktop for 8 years.  I have yet to see even a scratch.

Just don't drop them and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
The glass on your cooktop is harder than your cast iron pans. You're not going to scratch it. I literally clean my glass stop with chainmail.

But if you really want to try something different (but still kinda the same), go ahead and pick up a carbon steel skillet.

EDIT: I no longer own any coated non-stick cookware. Everything I own is either cast iron (one of them an enameled Dutch oven), carbon steel, or stainless.
View Quote

I also have a glass-top stove and use cast on it all the time; my deep skillet from great-grandma and my enameled Dutch oven get used a couple of times a week, at least. We've had it for over 5 years now and haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Carbon steel will do pretty much everything Cast Iron will do besides searing quite as well.  

Cast iron will hold heat better, however, for 95% of cooking, carbon steel will mimic cast iron perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I know, asking for the impossible.  But our glass cooktop said do not use with cast iron pots and pans. I’m assuming they will scratch the glass very easy.
View Quote

Glass cooktop, cast iron pans here.

What you want to do is this:  Take an orbital sander, an angle grinder with a flap disk, whatever, and sand the bottom of the pan.  Now it really doesn't take much at all, don't go crazy.  What you want to do is just go from when you drag it and it sounds like it's scratching the counter to where you drag it and it's nice and smooth.   Something like a 120 flap disk, it probably takes less than 30 seconds, maybe even as little as 10 seconds of sanding for that to happen.  You don't need to go crazy to where it's mirror-flat, you just need to take off the high spots.  Then they do quite fine on glass stovetops.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Sort of an update.  
Pulled grandmas old cast iron skillet off the shelf in the laundry room and sanded the bottom.  
Old skillet has a raised edge around the outside perimeter and the inside is full of old crusty seasoning from a hundred years of use.   I did get it pretty smooth.

Haven’t used it yet, but the wife wasn’t happy. She’s wanting a non stick wonder pan that browns like a real seasoned pan she can simply throw in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Sort of an update.  
Pulled grandmas old cast iron skillet off the shelf in the laundry room and sanded the bottom.  
Old skillet has a raised edge around the outside perimeter and the inside is full of old crusty seasoning from a hundred years of use.   I did get it pretty smooth.

Haven't used it yet, but the wife wasn't happy. She's wanting a non stick wonder pan that browns like a real seasoned pan she can simply throw in the dishwasher.
View Quote
When you find one you like, go back to the store and get a second.  They last, at best, 6 months of use.

The rim of your cast iron was supposed to go in the round hole of a wood stove. The lid comes out and the pan goes in and the rim makes it not move.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I've long held that the attraction to non-stick pans is one of maintenance (especially post-cooking cleaning), and that that was also solved, by just making the cleaning step easier. In other words, just wipe them clean with chainmail - it's like using a magic eraser. Follow it up with soap and a sponge if it makes you feel better. But you don't have to.

Doneski.

I've taken that one step further, and I actually use chainmail to (gasp!!!) scrub the burnt bits off of my glass stove top. It doesn't even blink at it. The stainless chainmail is honestly softer than the glass.
View Quote

Agreed. My cast irons plus chainmail and hot water, I have never had to scrub. Quick swipe, rinse, dry, and a film of oil, g2g. Rewind 7 years ago, using "nonstick", I'd have to scrub that bitch till I swore I was removing metal to get it clean.

I don't think you're gonna find anything that can go in the dishwasher. I don't think you're supposed to put any pan in there, iirc.

Carbon steel is what you seek.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
The danger of cast iron to glass cooktops is dropping your big skillet or dutch oven and shattering the glass.
Cast iron cookware is actually fairly soft and won't scratch glass, though grit particles that are embedded in the cast iron may scratch glass. Cast iron that is heat treated, for example machine ways on lathes, mills etc., can be incredibly hard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top