BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Roll fatty, post pics. (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2021 8:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColdboreDreamer]
I hardly ever ride my 29er anymore. My Specialized FatBoy has been so great in all kinds of terrain, and we've been to some great spots.
Where have you taken yours?

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice bike,  expected Sgt Sugar cookie.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Nice bike,  expected Sgt Sugar cookie.
View Quote
Yeah... working on it. I can definitely lose a few pounds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
whoo fatty thread.

gonna have to dig up some pics but I'm right next to, probably the biggest year around fat bike only trail system in the world.

Attachment Attached File

pointing out a red tail watching from the cliff.

funny watching even plus bikes just sink and become un-rideable. fatty's just cruise on by.

I have more pics I'll post later.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:07:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#4]
Just realized all my cool fatty pics are on my old phone that died...

This the only other pic I got.Attachment Attached File

Strava screen cap.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
I'm right next to, probably the biggest year around fat bike only trail system in the world.

View Quote

Tell me more, friend! Where is this Valhalla of which you speak?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#6]
Attachment Attached File

Hundreds of miles. I don't even know how many anymore.

Nearly everything is one way, lots of loops.

Here's a great vid of the place.

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:04:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColdboreDreamer] [#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/317810/Screenshot_20210626-163927_Trailforks_jp-1992250.JPG

Hundreds of miles. I don't even know how many anymore.

Nearly everything is one way, lots of loops.

Here's a great vid of the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEwWbTQOs3Q
View Quote
That's stunning! Add Tex Mex local food post ride for a win-win. That is getting added to the travel destination list! We've been adding golfing to bike trips for rest days and looks like nice courses in that area too!
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, except the texmex. Thats a bad word in NM.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColdboreDreamer] [#9]
Yes, except the texmex. Thats a bad word in NM.
View Quote
Copy that. Fixed.

The river pics are from the Bend, OR area. Lots of bike trails and "snow parks". Cross country skiing, snowmobile and fat tire trails.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ColdboreDreamer:
Copy that. Fixed.

The river pics are from the Bend, OR area. Lots of bike trails and "snow parks". Cross country skiing, snowmobile and fat tire trails.
View Quote

If you end up making your way out here, give me a shout and I'll show you the trails.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]

If you end up making your way out here, give me a shout and I'll show you the trails.
View Quote
THANKS! Will do!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PrincipsPistol] [#12]
Foes Mutz. 4.8" minions. Through rivers, up and down mountains
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
That area looks killer!
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#14]
That area looks killer!
View Quote

I was thinking that about everyone elses pics. I need to ride out west sometime.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:05:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#15]
Originally Posted By PrincipsPistol:

I was thinking that about everyone elses pics. I need to ride out west sometime.
View Quote
Agreed.  I live on the intersection of the great plains and the Eastern forests and all of the singletrack around here is technical.  They build "beginner" trails but I think the people into mountain biking enough to devote time, money and effort to building trails are so far from beginners that their perception of what is comfortable for a "beginner" is highly skewed to the technical side. Huge roots, tight off-camber turns and trees so close together on either side of the trail that modern MTB handlebars will barely fit between them are not the way to entice beginners into sticking with mountain biking.  

Many of the photos in this thread look a bit technical but I see so many photos of Western states that are more flowing trails.  This photo is probably not from a Western state, but man, if I could go out and do 5, 10 or 15 miles on something like this....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Moab and Bend have LOTS of easy beginner trails that don't require much skill beyond the basics.
You can always walk the technical parts.

What I find both in dirt motorcyclists and mountain bikers is a lack of instruction starting out.
It's really worth it to take a class and learn the difference between counter-weight(leaning the bike under you) and counter-steering(leaning into a turn).
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:trees so close together on either side of the trail that modern MTB handlebars will barely fit between them
View Quote

out here trail builders use very tight sections of trail to discourage horse riders from going through.

in a few places there are tight spots designed to keep wild horses from crossing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
Agreed.  I live on the intersection of the great plains and the Eastern forests and all of the singletrack around here is technical.  They build "beginner" trails but I think the people into mountain biking enough to devote time, money and effort to building trails are so far from beginners that their perception of what is comfortable for a "beginner" is highly skewed to the technical side. Huge roots, tight off-camber turns and trees so close together on either side of the trail that modern MTB handlebars will barely fit between them are not the way to entice beginners into sticking with mountain biking.  

Many of the photos in this thread look a bit technical but I see so many photos of Western states that are more flowing trails.  This photo is probably not from a Western state, but man, if I could go out and do 5, 10 or 15 miles on something like this....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42575/Ogre__6__jpg-2011051.JPG
View Quote

Personally I rather like chunky, natural tech, particularly for descending, but there is a point where its too much. It can be humbling when you're starting out, especially on a rigid bike.  Just keep at it, youll get better and stronger at it.
 Fat bikes tend to help float over the chunk, but they are heavy on a climb and bounce a bit if you hammer hard on the downhill, still though, they can be the right tool sometimes.

I do however also hate tight tree bar scraper shit. Really no reason for it nowadays.

Nice bike btw!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Fatty trail pic.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Hell yeah, looks like a sweet ridge ride, thats in NM?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#21]

Hell yeah, looks like a sweet ridge ride, thats in NM?
View Quote

yep, one of the trails from the place I posted above.

edit
@PrincipsPistol
fresh vid from the builders.

More Trails Less Concrete/Save the Trails

Link Posted: 9/12/2021 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]

yep, one of the trails from the place I posted above.

edit
@PrincipsPistol
fresh vid from the builders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCfc17Ys620

View Quote
That looks so festive!
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks so festive!
View Quote

I bent a wheel and damaged a tire out there last weekend.

Crazy rains washed a big ass loose rock down the hill into the trail I didn't see it pulled up the front wheel nailed it with the rear.

Bent wheel. Pooched tire.

Banged the wheel back close enough with a rubber hammer, new tire went with a slightly wider than on the front,  just to see.

Weird. Turns in way faster, I can really push the front into turns now. Only downside it's a bit rough on my wrists. I didn't think going from 4 to 4.4 would be that much change.

If it wasn't for wrist pain I'd be sold. Don't know what I should do now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing with the wider tires I've noticed is a few pounds pressure difference completely changes the ride, especially on the front tire. I normally run front and back around 8-10psi. If I haven't ridden in 3-4 days I notice the pressure drops and the turning is harder. Try some pressure changes on front vs. back and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I know all about the tire pressures. I usually run about 8 in the front and 10 ish in the rear so I can slide the tire around a bit. this depends on the trails, I go some where rocky and 11 front and rear but in the sand they're happy lower.

summer rains have totally collapsed the trails I posted above. they get dangerous in wet season so we're just starting to go back in there now.

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#26]
Nice 20 mile day out on the fat trails this am.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#27]
OP - where are the first two pictures from?  They Central Coast “ish”.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Global fat bike day.

17 riders, 21 miles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:22:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColdboreDreamer] [#29]
Originally Posted By brian4wd:
OP - where are the first two pictures from?  They Central Coast "ish".
View Quote
Palo Comado and Guadalasca Trail in SoCal.

This last weekend near Bend, OR. Rode out to Todd Lake at about 6000'. That's Broken Top mountain behind the lake in pic 2. The lake is just starting to freeze over.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Palo Comado and Guadalasca Trail in SoCal.
View Quote

I’ve ridden both of those areas - I grew up in Thousand Oaks and still have friends in the area.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By brian4wd:

I've ridden both of those areas - I grew up in Thousand Oaks and still have friends in the area.
View Quote
Dos Vientos has some nice singletrack!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#32]
baahhh...

whats that white stuff and why are your bikes in it!?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#33]
baahhh...

whats that white stuff and why are your bikes in it!?
View Quote

It was thick yesterday.

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I can hear your brakes all the way from here.

*angry honking noise*

speaking of brakes, upgrading the guide T's to Magura MT's tonight.

chances I cut the hoses either too long or too short?

high.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Late to the party here but at least I got out before the rain.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElrodCod] [#36]
Delete
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColdboreDreamer] [#37]

Nice conditions at Wanoga snopark yesterday. They tow a small, weighted trailer with a groomer behind a snowmobile along some of the single track routes. The downhill sections are like a luge run! Banked and super fun!

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Did some snow riding today.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:31:21 PM EDT
[#39]
My brother bought a 16 foes Mutz.

got a hell of a deal, 26" fatties, 27.5" plus, both on carbon fiber wheels, bike totally decked out, looks like it was hardly ridden.

I took it home to repair some stuff (wicked badk brake bleed, bound up dropper/cable) then rode the hell out of it the next day, you know, to make sure everything worked.

holy shit, I'm hooked. amazing bike, feels like a plush version of my Evil Following. just so damn smooth, quick turning, snappy handling.. except it has grip for days and the fatty sail over sand.. what a awesome bike...

so I emailed Foes this morning to order one

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a sickness.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#41]
NICE!

How does it work with the multiple tire types? Are all the hubs spec'd to a certain width? Do you need to adjust brakes when switching tire diameters?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#42]
NICE!

How does it work with the multiple tire types? Are all the hubs spec'd to a certain width? Do you need to adjust brakes when switching tire diameters?
View Quote

It'll just be on 26"

they say it can run up to a 4.8. I dunno yet.
150mm front 177mm rear. I wish they would have made the 197 rear since that's way more common now and might fit 5" but I think I'll be fine on 4.8, even 4.6 I'll be happy with.

I'm going with the Wren 150mm inverted fork up front.

Still haven't settled on wheels but probably the Atomik with the onyx hubs.

Getting a Garbaruk cassette. probably GX AXS and Magura MT7 brakes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Sweet! I run mine (see above) mostly with 4.8 minions, heavy, tankish, but plows through anything. Fun bike.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PrincipsPistol] [#44]
This thread always makes me want to GTFO of town. NM looks amazing!

I skied more than FB'd this winter but finally got a new rigid fatbike built up and knocked out a good ride today.
On One fatty frame, random build. HPG frame bag.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#45]

I skied more than FB'd this winter but finally got a new rigid fatbike built up and knocked out a good ride today.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/KIMG3182_JPG-2344965.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/KIMG3180_JPG-2344967.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/KIMG3124_JPG-2344970.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/KIMG3182_JPG-2344965.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/KIMG3180_JPG-2344967.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/540320/KIMG3124_JPG-2344970.JPG

Looks good, I like the frame how the top tube splits. Is that the same frame Ali Clarkson runs on his trials fat bike?

Tree Lines : Fat Bike Trials

Sweet! I run mine (see above) mostly with 4.8 minions, heavy, tankish, but plows through anything. Fun bike.

That's such a sweet bike.

I don't think the weight on them is so bad, my brothers weighs less than my Cannondale.

I think it work great out here, where a ride can be loose sandy steep with a rock garden at random.

When I swapped from minions to schwalbe they weigh quite a bit less. Faster rolling and better in sand. Not as good on hard pack.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Looks good, I like the frame how the top tube splits. Is that the same frame Ali Clarkson runs on his trials fat bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qie8iaZZn8
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qie8iaZZn8

Yeah, same bike, On One Fatty. I love the split top tube, and it has pretty short stays, which was what made me look for one.  Nimble bike, pretty impressed with it for a lower end frame. Found it cheap on PB.
 Great vid, nice to see a simple edit with some solid, natural trials, and he left a few of the hiccups in, good stuff.

I was pretty into trials for a while before Enduro/DH stole my soul and money....

That's such a sweet bike.

I don't think the weight on them is so bad, my brothers weighs less than my Cannondale.

I think it work great out here, where a ride can be loose sandy steep with a rock garden at random.

When I swapped from minions to schwalbe they weigh quite a bit less. Faster rolling and better in sand. Not as good on hard pack.

Yes, I was referring particularly to the Mutz with the big Minions on it being tankish. I run it with 4" Dillinger's studded when conditions permit and it is noticeably lighter handling. I still love it with the minions though, gets up over and through anything as long as the lungs and legs are there.

Are you running Jumbo Jim's now? Aren't those like 1000 grams? Super light. Haven't tried those yet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Rad, and.... I probably would.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:00:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#49]

Yeah, same bike, On One Fatty. I love the split top tube, and it has pretty short stays, which was what made me look for one.  Nimble bike, pretty impressed with it for a lower end frame. Found it cheap on PB.
 Great vid, nice to see a simple edit with some solid, natural trials, and he left a few of the hiccups in, good stuff.

I was pretty into trials for a while before Enduro/DH stole my soul and money....

Yes, I was referring particularly to the Mutz with the big Minions on it being tankish. I run it with 4" Dillinger's studded when conditions permit and it is noticeably lighter handling. I still love it with the minions though, gets up over and through anything as long as the lungs and legs are there.

Are you running Jumbo Jim's now? Aren't those like 1000 grams? Super light. Haven't tried those yet.
View Quote

The jj have been fantastic.

They seem to be just as durable as the minions  as well.

The weight difference is huge. Feel much more snappy.

I run big Betty on my enduro. They grip like no others. However the rubber is super soft. The cornering knobs are looking like DHR with twice as many miles.

Buddy posted a new vid from the fat bike trails.

Broaden Your Horizons With Fat Tires, Desert Mountain Biking
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Enduro rig is down and rehabbing the Mutz so I've been riding the Fatty.

Hadn't spent much time on a rigid bike these last few seasons and I've really been enjoying the change of pace. It's nice not having to repair or replace parts every other ride.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Roll fatty, post pics. (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top