Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 2:13:51 PM EDT
Google Fiber came to town last year and I've had their 1Gig (up and down) service for about 9-10 months. It's a dramatic improvement over Comcast and the bill never changes, unlike Comcast.

They've recently turned on 2, 5 and 8 Gigabit connections here. My newer switch and Wifi gear (Unifi) supports 2.5G wired and 6E and 7 Wifi support greater than 1Gigabit as well (even if a single device won't saturate it).

Currently, I have a Unifi Dream Machine (not the Pro or SE). It looks like a little white R2D2. It's been pretty good, but starting to show limitations. If you turn on the firewall and intrusion detection/prevention, its throughput drops considerably below 1 Gbps.

The Google Fiber modem has a fiber ONT plugged into the SFP jack. I see reports on Reddit and elsewhere of people plugging the ONT directly into the SFP+ ports on their router and the ONT will train at 2.5/5/10 Gbps, thereby bypassing the modem completely. Some say they've done this on the UDM Pro or SE, but it doesn't seem to universally be the case, or the setup is a bit janky.

Anyone doing anything like this, either with Unifi routers or another router setup? Maybe a dual SFP+ Mikrotik.

For those who wonder why I want more speed, there are two reasons. One is that I look at radiology images at home and more speed makes this more efficient. The second reason is because I can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#1]
I spent two days trying this with Verizon FIOS. Didn't work. Come to find out, the ONT is necessary on all Verizon drops. Copper then, to the UDMPro-SE. I can connect at 2.5Gb to the AP, again copper. Doesn't really bother me, but fiber all the way would have been nice.

I have no experience with Google fiber. Is it simplex or duplex?

I have UniFi UDMPros in four locations. I like the ease of configuring without a command line being necessary. The SE is nice.

I do have a 10Gb fiber trunk from one floor to another at one site, so I do know that the fiber SFP transceivers do work well with the SE.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#2]
If you sign up for service beyond 1 gbps they should provide you with an ONT that has a >1gbps port to connect to the rest of your network.  Don't forget to get your computer connected with a 2.5 or 10 gbps wired interface as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SR712:
I spent two days trying this with Verizon FIOS. Didn't work. Come to find out, the ONT is necessary on all Verizon drops. Copper then, to the UDMPro-SE. I can connect at 2.5Gb to the AP, again copper. Doesn't really bother me, but fiber all the way would have been nice.

I have no experience with Google fiber. Is it simplex or duplex?

I have UniFi UDMPros in four locations. I like the ease of configuring without a command line being necessary. The SE is nice.

I do have a 10Gb fiber trunk from one floor to another at one site, so I do know that the fiber SFP transceivers do work well with the SE.
View Quote
Google Fiber is 1/1 (down/up), 2/1, 5/5, and 8/8. I'm not sure why the 2Gig plan is only 1Gig down. It looks like a simplex fiber cable coming in to the house.

I have 10 Gb fiber from my workstation to my Unifi switch downstairs and it's connected to my NAS. So that part is great. I have the 10GTek transceivers off Amazon, which are much cheaper and work great with the Intel card in the computer and the Mellanox in the NAS.

I have read reports of people pulling the Google Fiber ONT out of the modem and plugging it directly into the SFP+ WAN port on a UDM SE with some success. That's what I'm hoping to figure out before I go out and buy a UDM Pro SE.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
If you sign up for service beyond 1 gbps they should provide you with an ONT that has a >1gbps port to connect to the rest of your network.  Don't forget to get your computer connected with a 2.5 or 10 gbps wired interface as well.
View Quote
I'm reading that once you sign up for 5 or 8 Gig, the GF replaces the ONT and modem with another one.

My workstation is 10Gb fiber. I've changed out a few of my NICs to 2.5Gb, since they're Cat5e and it's not yet worth the hassle to pull new, faster cable.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#5]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
I'm reading that once you sign up for 5 or 8 Gig, the GF replaces the ONT and modem with another one.

My workstation is 10Gb fiber. I've changed out a few of my NICs to 2.5Gb, since they're Cat5e and it's not yet worth the hassle to pull new, faster cable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sartorius:

If the provided router has a 10gbe or sfp+ lan port I would just connect your switch to that, turn off the router's bullt in wifi if any, and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They have an updated UDM pro Max  that's made for faster, larger setups
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just build a cheap pfsense/opnsense box with a dual port/quad port SFP+ NICS. connect SPF+ to Brocade or other used enterprise gear SFP+ switches. 10G Fiber is cheap.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx-series-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If Google delivers their ONT device as a standard SFP+ transceiver (yes there are XGPON SFP+ transceivers out there) then you theoretically just need a hardware device with SFP+ that will recognize the transceiver. The only gotcha is what AAA does Google use and does your device (whether that be Mikrotik, xSense, etc) support it.

Personally, I'm 100% Mikrotik for my home use but I also have several Mikrotik certifications and was at one point managing around 7,000 of the buggers. I'm also a big fan of VyOS over opnSense or pfSense but that's because I'm more into routing than I am advanced firewall (and I am not a fan of the UI used by xSense as I feel it's too slow and could do things more effectively in a CLI environment which is not where it should be for those two solutions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]

If the provided router has a 10gbe or sfp+ lan port I would just connect your switch to that, turn off the router's bullt in wifi if any, and call it a day.
View Quote
The WAN port on the Google modem is an SFP+ cage. There's a 10 GBe LAN port to connect to the router (which I'm doing now). But I've read about people pulling the SFP+ out of the cage and plugging it directly into the SFP+ cage on some routers (like the Unifi Pro SE) and it will connect directly, completely bypassing the modem. This is what I'd like to do. I could run Cat 6 from the 10 GBe on modem to a 10GBe transceiver plugged into the SFP+cage on a router. But it's not guaranteed that the AAA (as below) will allow it.
Originally Posted By zapzap:
If Google delivers their ONT device as a standard SFP+ transceiver (yes there are XGPON SFP+ transceivers out there) then you theoretically just need a hardware device with SFP+ that will recognize the transceiver. The only gotcha is what AAA does Google use and does your device (whether that be Mikrotik, xSense, etc) support it.

Personally, I'm 100% Mikrotik for my home use but I also have several Mikrotik certifications and was at one point managing around 7,000 of the buggers. I'm also a big fan of VyOS over opnSense or pfSense but that's because I'm more into routing than I am advanced firewall (and I am not a fan of the UI used by xSense as I feel it's too slow and could do things more effectively in a CLI environment which is not where it should be for those two solutions.
View Quote
The AAA is the gotcha. The /googlefiber and /unifi subreddits describe ways to do this. I do have a small Mikrotik switch with 4 SFP+ cages and a 1GBe management/POE port. I'm just a home user and hobbyist, but may try playing with this a bit more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top