Magpul just announced AR mag compatible Hunter stocks for these

Magpul - Hunter American SA STANAG

Magpul - Bolt Action Magazine Well – Hunter American Stock
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
So it does not work with AR mags?

The video shows a rear release
not the AR side button

it works with Stanag or is that old video?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

not the AR side button

View Quote

Videos were published today as SHOT Show previews. So I guess we’ll see them in stock around December, lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Went looking for one of these after seeing this thread.  Was looking for the 223 ranch version that takes AR mags.  Subscribed to grabagun and hit the notify me when in stock thing.  They had them last Friday so I grabbed one.  Just waiting for it to ship.

Should be able to mount my 308 can to it.  Just gotta find a scope and rings now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

not the AR side button

View Quote

New video that was posted today.  Looks like they figured out a way to have the mag release at the rear instead of on the side.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By born2lose76:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEYioyzb7BQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmQFHO_bVyw
View Quote

Hmm.. wonder if this would work for the 7.62x39 models.
I've always wanted to put the Hunter stock on, but the lack of Aics style mags for x39 has been iffy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

I've always wanted to put the Hunter stock on, but the lack of Aics style mags for x39 has been iffy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By born2lose76:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEYioyzb7BQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmQFHO_bVyw

I'm think it isn't going to work with the X39 Ranch. It was clearly stated in the videos that it was for American models that came from the factory using AR mags.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#8]
Originally Posted By 2A373:
I'm think it isn't going to work with the X39 Ranch. It was clearly stated in the videos that it was for American models that came from the factory using AR mags.
View Quote

I remember seeing a mod done with the x39 versions to accept AR mags. If I remember correctly, it was as simple as swapping to the Ruger 223/556 stock with specific paddle mag release you could buy from Ruger. Not sure if it was this forum or another.
Regardless, this has me thinking about that project again.

Eta: I can't spell/type
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

View Quote

I remember seeing a mod done with the x39 versions to accept AR mags. If I remember correctly, it was as simple as swapping to the Ruger 223/556 stock with specific paddle mag release you could buy from Ruger. Not sure if it was this forum or another.

View Quote

You are both correct.  The x39 ranch drops into the Magpul stock perfectly.  No wiggle at all.  Lack of AICS magazines in x39 is the deal breaker.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

There's a video about that on YouTube.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Originally Posted By Smashy:

View Quote

What stock are you referring to?  The Ruger OEM stock x39 with stanag compatibility or the Magpul AICS version?

Have a link to the video or a better description?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#12]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

What stock are you referring to?  The Ruger OEM stock x39 with stanag compatibility or the Magpul AICS version?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Originally Posted By Smashy:

@Steamedliver
7.62x39 Ruger American Ranch with AR15 Magazines

Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 AR Magazine Conversion Range Test
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
@Steamedliver

Here’s the first video
7.62x39 Ruger American Ranch with AR15 Magazines
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for clarifying that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#15]
That's the video I was referring to.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Had been on the lookout for a CZ527 Suppressor-Ready in .223, but with the 527 line being discontinued it seems like availability has really dried up fast.

The Ruger American Ranch offers pretty much everything I was looking for and a little more in terms of features. What's the overall view of quality and accuracy of these rifles?

Thanks
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have one in 7.62x39 and one in 450BM. They are fantastic rifles.

The targets are at 100 meters and that's regular wolf 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
This little guy followed me home today.  RAR in 5.56 with a Vortex 4x12 scope.  

Attachment Attached File

$700 OTD.  Out of the way gun shop had 2 brand new ones in .300 BO and one of the bigger calibers.  I asked if he had one in 5.56 and he dug this one out of his personal collection.  Said it has around 50 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone try a Sharps Bro's Heatseeker chassis with one of these?  Pros/Cons?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a Ruger American in 30-06 a few years ago when Wal-Mart was blowing out their guns.  Got it for around $200 or so, but haven't ever shot it yet.  No idea if they even make after-market Long Action stocks for this or if I'd be stuck using the OEM one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By IceAuger:
View Quote

Can’t use a cleaning rod
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Can't use a cleaning rod
View All Quotes

Can't use a cleaning rod
Why is that?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Uses AICS magazines.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Why is that?
View All Quotes

Can't use a cleaning rod
Why is that?

To keep the bore axis low, the buffer tube/stock attachment point is very high.  No room for a rod, you’re. relegated to bore snakes with the heat seeker
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#24]

To keep the bore axis low, the buffer tube/stock attachment point is very high.  No room for a rod, you're. relegated to bore snakes with the heat seeker
View All Quotes

Can't use a cleaning rod
Why is that?

To keep the bore axis low, the buffer tube/stock attachment point is very high.  No room for a rod, you're. relegated to bore snakes with the heat seeker
That's what I assumed you were getting at in your last post but wanted to make sure it wasn't some other oddity preventing the use of a rod that I was overlooking.  

It probably depends on the type/size of stock used that might obstruct a cleaning rod as well.  Either way, probably not a big deal and there are alternatives available.  Folding stocks are an option as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:42:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#25]
That's what I assumed you were getting at in your last post but wanted to make sure it wasn't some other oddity preventing the use of a rod that I was overlooking.  

It probably depends on the type/size of stock used that might obstruct a cleaning rod as well.  Either way, probably not a big deal and there are alternatives available.  Folding stocks are an option as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
View All Quotes

Can't use a cleaning rod
Why is that?

Thanks for the feedback.

You know, I stand corrected.  My apologies.  I went and took a look and the heatseeker made for the Ruger is different.  I only was familiar with the Heatseeker for the Howa Mini (which I don't even see listed on their website anymore).  

Here's the Howa version.  You can see that a cleaning rod is a no-go...

Looking at it though it doesn't look like the heatseeker is for the American Ranch, just the American and AICS type mags.  I gotta say though, that's a nice looking chassis.  Some of their Thompon Contender stuff looks pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah, I see what you're saying with the Howa.  We're on the same page now.  Thanks.

Sharps put out a video a while back with a .223 in their Heatseeker chassis because people were asking if it would fit.  He said it was a .223 American, but it looked like the 5.56 Ranch with the 16" barrel (or do they have a .223 with the 16" barrel??).  He did state that some slight modifications to the mags are recommended to help with cleaner feeding.  He didn't say if you'd have to do the same to the Magpul AICS mags (he was using Accurate-Mags) but assumed that you would.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#27]
They make a predator with 22" barrel on the "regular" American action that takes AR mags.  I'm imagining it you dropped it in a Heatseeker you could use any .223 AICS mags...maybe?  Maybe the American you saw with the 16" barrel was the one in 350 Legend?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
You better do your research before you go down the Ruger American 223 AICS road as a lot of them don't work. Even Magpul has a warning that their mag won't work. The other mag manufacturers won't guarantee them.  If you want an American 223 stick with AR mags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JuanPing] [#29]
They make a predator with 22" barrel on the "regular" American action that takes AR mags.  I'm imagining it you dropped it in a Heatseeker you could use any .223 AICS mags...maybe?  Maybe the American you saw with the 16" barrel was the one in 350 Legend?
View Quote
He was illustrating that a .223 fits in their chassis (along with other short actions), so it was definitely a .223.  Not sure if you do Facebook or not, but if you click on "videos" on the Sharps Bro's page it is there if you want to check it out.

Here is a screenshot.  The top is the Predator you mentioned with the 22" barrel, but the bottom one in their chassis is a 16" (the Heatseeker handguard is 14"), so I wonder if he just wasn't clear and meant that the 16" Ranch in 5.56 was the one they used even though he kept mentioning .223.  The only difference between the two is the Ranch models have shorter barrels, I think...

I'm not sure why I went down this rabbit hole, but here I am and now I need to figure this out because I'm already totaling how much this could cost me before I'm done.  Damn you, ARFCOM.  Ha.

jsharps showing and shooting a .223 Ruger American built into our #Heatseeker chassis - and talking about magazine selection / modification for this type of build. Heatseeker was designed for the short action calibers .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor but Heatseeker is also compatible with Ruger's .223, 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel and 450 Bushmaster Ruger Americans: with a bit of work: 223/300 Blk requires minor mag modification. 6.5 Grendel works with a mag converter (from @primalrights) and 450 works in standard AI pattern short action mags (they just 'look' kinda short in them).

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone seen the Magpul AR15 magazine compatible stock yet?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish Ruger would make a new batch of 7.62x39 versions of this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
View Quote

With left handed actions!
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By narphenal:
Accuracy? Insane.

Ruger Americans are one of the most underrated rifles on the market.

Swap out that flimsy ass stock for one of the many options. Throw a Timney in there.

You will have an incredibly capable rifle.
View Quote

So, in other words just buy a better rifle like a Tikka or Bergara and save all of the money replacing crappy parts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Vegitan:
Anyone seen the Magpul AR15 magazine compatible stock yet?
View Quote

Being that they announced a month ago, I wouldn’t expect to see the Stanang stock for several months. If I were to guess I’d say Q3 or Q4
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]
RAR .450 bushmaster 16"
Bittersweet experience here, i do appreciate a bit of savings being passed on with these models. Good barrel, action is fine for the price of entry.

OEM stock was over formed/warped to the extent that it was rubbing on the barrel. OEM magazines had molding lines on feed lip, hanging up feeding. Both issues solved with a bit of careful sandpaper work.

Switching optics around, also in a position where the longest shots may come drastically under 100 yards for hunting. I am trying out a basic strikefire 2 and VMX3T optic theme, just worked out that way for not spending any more $ right now. It doesn't seem too bad, gonna give it a try
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I have owned three different iterations, and sold every single one. Cheap and clunky. They shoot OK, but just about any modern bolt gun shoots OK. There is nothing about them that something else doesn't do better.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#37]
In for any info on someone 3D printing a mag body for a few extra rounds of capacity of 450... that fits just as the 3 round factory mag does.

Thoughts are that they can possibly be made to work fine with stanag or AICS parts. 250/300 gr OAL, 450 follower, spring and floorplate... even if a bit of hand modification or fitting is needed. Id be in for a few
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Zebra120:
I have owned three different iterations, and sold every single one. Cheap and clunky. They shoot OK, but just about any modern bolt gun shoots OK. There is nothing about them that something else doesn't do better.

View Quote

Who else makes a better bolt action 5.56 that uses AR mags?

And don't post some chassis contraption with a MLOK hand guard the length of the barrel, a crap cheek weld, and a $1k+ price tag.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

And don't post some chassis contraption with a MLOK hand guard the length of the barrel, a crap cheek weld, and a $1k+ price tag.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
Originally Posted By Zebra120:

Nobody, because AR mags in a bolt gun are dumb.

AICS pattern mags are a much better solution for .223 detachable mags. Why in the hell would I want a 30rd mag that will only handle 2.30 COAL when there are readily available mags that will easily swallow 2.55"?

If I want to shoot AR mags, I will shoot an AR. If I am running a bolt gun, it better do something an AR can't.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Keep checking gunbroker. I got one a month ago. Usually only one or two are listed at a time for $529-599 and they sell fast
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#41]
I have two forends but I usually keep the full handguard mounted and use a saddle mount for the tripod instead of the full arca.

But it's one bolt and I can pop the arca on...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I found one in stock.  Paid a little more than I wanted, but probably a realistic retail price.  Hopefully it arrives at my FFL next week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I found one in stock.  Paid a little more than I wanted, but probably a realistic retail price.  Hopefully it arrives at my FFL next week.
View Quote
Good catch.
I found a 7.62x39 back in December the week before Christmas while nobody was looking, I guess. Is the action as smooth as my Bergara Premier? No. Is it a light and handy rifle that I can use a can on and easily mount optics right out of the box? Yep. I have mini 30 mags so I actually like that aspect. I see this rifle as one of the better all around values. I give it a lot of points for that. And I like the balance of it, which the glass and the can ruin slightly but it's still handy. Trigger is ok. No plans to change. Keeping it "stock."
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ExecutiveMendicant:
Good catch.
I found a 7.62x39 back in December the week before Christmas while nobody was looking, I guess. Is the action as smooth as my Bergara Premier? No. Is it a light and handy rifle that I can use a can on and easily mount optics right out of the box? Yep. I have mini 30 mags so I actually like that aspect. I see this rifle as one of the better all around values. I give it a lot of points for that. And I like the balance of it, which the glass and the can ruin slightly but it's still handy. Trigger is ok. No plans to change. Keeping it "stock."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExecutiveMendicant:
Good catch.

I’m definitely not going to try and turn this rifle into something super fancy.

I’m going to chestnut it, mount an optic and start shooting.  I have a lot of 7.62x39, and a lot of reloads.  

Since I started buying up brass case 7.62x39 lately, I’m hoping this rifle can be used to shoot  the factory loaded ammo, recover the brass in good condition.

Then use the Ruger to shoot 1st and 2nd reload of the brass.  At that point 3rd reload can go through my AK, which is not kind to brass and slings it into the next county.

Probably the only mods/upgrades I’m considering are to eventually install an oversized bolt handle and buy the stock insert from Ruger to try AR mags.  I currently have a bin full of 7.62x39 AR mags but zero Mini 30 mags.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#46]

I’m going to chestnut it, mount an optic and start shooting.  I have a lot of 7.62x39, and a lot of reloads.  

Since I started buying up brass case 7.62x39 lately, I’m hoping this rifle can be used to shoot  the factory loaded ammo, recover the brass in good condition.

Then use the Ruger to shoot 1st and 2nd reload of the brass.  At that point 3rd reload can go through my AK, which is not kind to brass and slings it into the next county.

Probably the only mods/upgrades I’m considering are to eventually install an oversized bolt handle and buy the stock insert from Ruger to try AR mags.  I currently have a bin full of 7.62x39 AR mags but zero Mini 30 mags.
View Quote

When it comes to the bolt handle and knob check out Anarchy Outdoors, their bolt handle is perfect and they offer many different bolt knobs.  Also consider the AD Arms billet cocking piece to replace the Ruger MIM cocking piece; plenty of reports of the Ruger piece breaking.  Add the firing pin removal tool when you're ready to change out the bolt handle, it makes life simple.

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/

Grabbed this image while I was polishing the bolt and doing the upgrades on my Ruger American 5.56; it ended up in an AR magazine compatible MDT LSS-XL chassis.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

When it comes to the bolt handle and knob check out Anarchy Outdoors, their bolt handle is perfect and they offer many different bolt knobs.  Also consider the AD Arms billet cocking piece to replace the Ruger MIM cocking piece; plenty of reports of the Ruger piece breaking.  Add the firing pin removal tool when you're ready to change out the bolt handle, it makes life simple.

Grabbed this image while I was polishing the bolt and doing the upgrades on my Ruger American 5.56; it ended up in an AR magazine compatible MDT LSS-XL chassis.

https://i.imgur.com/AiDhLXi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/niyVfz7.jpg

View All Quotes

I did all that stuff to both of my RAR's    made a world of difference, made great, inexpensive  rifles  even better.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

@DarkStar  how did you polish the bolt?  Dreadlocks, felt pad & compound?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#49]

@DarkStar  how did you polish the bolt?  Dreadlocks, felt pad & compound?
View Quote

I like to do my Ruger bolts by hand using wet/dry sandpaper; use the firing pin removal tool to remove the firing pin assembly and the bolt handle.  I start with 400 grit and continue using finer and finer grit; 1500 makes them glass smooth, then I do a final polish with Flitz; they turn out like mirrors and are butter smooth in the receiver.  If you change out the cocking piece to the AD Arms billet piece the cocking action of the bolt is night and day improved as well.

It doesn't take long to polish them by hand; a friend just bought a Predator in .308 and it had one of the roughest finished bolts I've run across in a Ruger; it took me about an hour to turn it in to a mirror.  The Ruger American's are inexpensive and with a bit of work, they really are top performers.

Disassembly is easy peasy:

Ruger American bolt handle!

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#50]
That little tool looks like a must have for disassembling the bolt.
Page / 48
Ruger American Ranch (Page 5 of 48)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top