Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 8:06:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredsaint]
It does float down nicely

ETA: serious question, if there was tactical nukes on board, could it technically got boom or not since there's safeguard i guess? but it is Russia

Russian Tu-22 nuclear bomber shot down: Ukraine claims responsibility

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Ukraine’s GUR claimed this as an s200 shoot down.

I’m skeptical but they’re pretty reliable.

Good kill
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

ETA: serious question, if there was tactical nukes on board, could it technically got boom or not since there's safeguard i guess? but it is Russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDK__7plKv8
View Quote

If it was American, I'm going to go with no. Given how shitty most Russian/Soviet weapons are, no clue. Presuming it doesn't go boom and the shielding is destroyed, whoever is doing the recovery is going to catch some zoomies. My brother caught one during weapons handling of Trident missiles back in the day. He got yelled at, and he asked if he was supposed to see it coming and move out of the way. My berthing on a sub tender was a buffer zone between the outside of the ship and the missile compartment. My wife served on the same ship, and her berthing compartment was above mine. We never wore TLDs, but we have kids, and they're pretty normal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Ukraine's GUR claimed this as an s200 shoot down.

I'm skeptical but they're pretty reliable.

Good kill
View Quote
Well, we can be reasonable sure it wasn't a PAC-2, as the cockpit appears to be still attached.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:01:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: treelow] [#6]
Good

In b 4 Russia claims it was accidental friendly fire…again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Good kill
View Quote
Who's reliable?  The GUR or the S200?

Stavropol is over 300 miles from the front, or about 100 miles more than the maximum range on the S200.

Which incidentally provides a good indication of the reliability of the GUR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Goose, we're in a flat spin headed out to sea! Eject! Eject!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
2nd one today
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:

Stavropol is over 300 miles from the front, or about 100 miles more than the maximum range on the S200.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good kill

It really doesn't matter. The bird is still dead.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Good kill

Or maybe the Ukes used something else, but don’t want to show their hand?

Or maybe it’s more trigger happy drunken Russians shooting down their comrades?

Splash one Backfire!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

1. You don’t know what the actual range of an S200 is.
2. If you actually looked at the video, you’d know that the plane was downed 190 miles from the Russian border, not 300. That’s within the range you claim a S200 is capable of.

Which incidentally provides a good indication of both your reliability and and the higher relative reliability of the GUR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]
S-200 kinematically can do 400+ km. Whether it can hit anything is another question.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like Russia is claiming a “technical malfunction”.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Good. It'll be one less  deal with in case our troops get sucked into that conflict.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By treelow:
Looks like Russia is claiming a "technical malfunction".
View Quote
usually that happens when a Patriot missile hits you
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Flat spin with a burning engine is a "technical malfunction"
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for sharing the good news, OP!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Doesn't the detonation stuff have to go boom in a specific order to make it do mushroom things? The explosives which begin the process of nuclear detonation can still scatter radioactive bomb debris, effectively making it a dirty bomb, though.

I'm sure a crew would love to eject into that mess.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:
Doesn't the detonation stuff have to go boom in a specific order to make it do mushroom things? The explosives which begin the process of nuclear detonation can still scatter radioactive bomb debris, effectively making it a dirty bomb, though.

I'm sure a crew would love to eject into that mess.
View Quote

Still, all in all, it's probably preferable to not ejecting...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, that's not something you see often.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cherenkov] [#22]

View Quote

Sincerely doubt nukes on board - the nuclear material is far too valuable to lose in conventional battle and carrying is an escalation not needed at the moment.

Nuclear weapons are generally well safeguarded, cannot accidentally go off from multiple fire/destructive forces including radiation dose!  Nothing ruins your day when your nuke fails because someone elses nuke ionized the air around it. Or sudden burst of neutrons causes a smaller unwanted criticality

Back in the day -generally not easily to disperse even if engulfed in flame.  DOE had numerous test facilities dedicated towards testing materials used in all sorts of nuclear components Short term and long term destructive tests.  Many are designed to go on rockets - which is a lot of stress - Anyway the tests include fire/heat ignition and withstand >1200F heat for some time - to represent a transport accident and aircraft alloys burning  (shot down)

There was also some aspects for multiple tiers of thermal safeties - fire safeties will also melt in the process to make it fail safe but robust enough not too accidentally melt.

I miss the era where slide rules used by guys smoking cigarettes made good crap like nukes - I'd like to think the Russians built theirs to same or even higher safety as the west does, I sort of think so - they like to design stuff well initially so less educated masses later on don't start a war or a big mess.  
Russians were not as typically as individual safety conscious as the west - Soldiers tend to be more disposable, but they tend to engineer to robust standards as they know someone won't be smart enough or care enough to maintain things properly.

Then again every time someone makes something idiot proof darwinism pushes out a new winner in the idiot evolutionary path.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Looks like Russia is claiming a "technical malfunction".

LOL…..

Yeah, but something blew the ass end off, Patriot usually goes for the cockpit area (from my understanding).
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

View All Quotes

Hey, I didn’t say I believe them.

Maybe some drunk conscripts forgot to prep the Fetzer valve with 3 in 1 oil. It’s all ball bearing these days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#25]
It is hard to tell who shot it down based on past history. It is a flip of a coin as to which side shot it down. It could have been his wing man with a bugger hook on the bang button.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Maybe shitty Russky engine lost a few fan blades.  It happens.  I will be interested to read the definitive history of this war someday.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Arent lot of the russki AA automatic?   They detect and if no friendly transponder, it shoots?

I bet it was friendly fire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Say deep inside Russian territory 190 miles from the frontline. Not sure if Ukraine engaged it from that distance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Looks like the empennage was destroyed / damaged, resulting in a spin.

Heat seeker targeting an engine?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Hey, I didn’t say I believe them.

Maybe some drunk conscripts forgot to prep the Fetzer valve with 3 in 1 oil. It’s all ball bearing these days.
View Quote

The Underhills wont be picking up the tab on this one…
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Stravropol Krai governor Vladimir Vladimirov said in a statement all four on board had managed to escape the wreckage.

'Two pilots from the plane that crashed in the Krasnogvardeisky district have been found,' he said.

'They are alive, we are taking them to the hospital. All services went to the scene.'

Later reports said the two other crew members had been located and were being hospitalised.

Vladimirov said in a Telegram post later Friday morning that the third member of the plane's crew had died, and that they were still looking for the fourth, per RIA.

'Updated information has been received on the incident with a Russian military aircraft in the Krasnogvardeisky district,' he said.

'Unfortunately, the third crew member died. I express my condolences to his family and friends. The search for the fourth pilot continues.'

The Russian defence ministry claimed a 'technical malfunction' was the likely cause of the downing while admitting the plane was returning from a bombing mission over Ukraine.

The Russian defence ministry said: 'A Russian Air Force's Tu-22M3 crashed in the Stavropol region after performing a combat mission while returning to its home airfield.

'The pilots ejected, three crew members were evacuated by a search and rescue team, and a search for one pilot is underway.

'There was no ammunition on board, the aircraft went down in a deserted area. There is no damage on the ground.

'According to preliminary data, the cause of the accident was a technical malfunction.'

Ukraine meanwhile claimed the plane had been downed by the airforce working in conjunction with Ukrainian intelligence.

'For the first time, anti-aircraft missile units of the Air Force, in cooperation with the Defence Intelligence of Ukraine, destroyed a Tu-22M3 long-range strategic bomber, a carrier of Kh-22 cruise missiles used by Russian terrorists to attack peaceful Ukrainian cities,' the Air Force Commander Mykola Oleshchuk said in a statement via Telegram messaging app.

A witness to the crash also suggested it was not a technical problem, per Russian reports.

'Now I have a lot of questions,' he said, suggesting that friendly fire may have been the cause.

The crash site is some 250 miles from the closest border with Ukraine.

Link
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top