[#1]
My body is ready
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:48:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#2]
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna147065

Supreme Court to decide if Biden administration can regulate ‘ghost guns’
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought we already had a win on that in the 5th, SCOTUS taking it up isn't necessarily a good thing. I won't hold my breath for a Bruen-like opinion excoriating the ATF and gutting Chevron deference. The Court should be taking up the cases from state laws and state courts expressly sticking their thumb in Bruen's eye.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#4]
Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Aweaome, but would rather see them take up the state AWB's first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackTuono:
I thought we already had a win on that in the 5th, SCOTUS taking it up isn't necessarily a good thing. I won't hold my breath for a Bruen-like opinion excoriating the ATF and gutting Chevron deference. The Court should be taking up the cases from state laws and state courts expressly sticking their thumb in Bruen's eye.
View Quote

Time to settle it for good
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Fingers crossed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah we might not like the ruling on this one
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The cognitive dissonance is real here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chase45:
View Quote

That's the chance in every case.  But it's a sure thing that we don't like the final rule as is, much less the ATF's apparently perceived power to write laws themselves.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TW52:
View Quote

Get Texas to pass one
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#13]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What gun case has scotus ever settled “ for good “ ? Every issue we had before their cases is still on going today as either scotus ruled so weakly and narrowly it was basically useless for the average citizens second amendment rights or democrats simply ignore their ruling as they please and simply pass whatever anti second amendment laws they want anyway, knowing there are never any consequences, that it will take many years to ever reach scotus, ( Biden gave a speech on this , so why not pass unconstitutional laws ? he said )  if they even take the second amendment case to begin with, which they usually don’t in second amendment cases.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
This. Keep in mind Scalia figured out a way to concur in Gonzales v. Raich.

I'd much rather see the state level end runs around Bruen litigated.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

That's the chance in every case.  But it's a sure thing that we don't like the final rule as is, much less the ATF's apparently perceived power to write laws themselves.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Or, after circulating draft decisions saying Chevron is toast in Loper Bright/ Relentless, the SC is tired of ATF's bullshit.

The SC decided previously, and the Solicitor General already conceded that it was the proper decision, that the DOJ is not afforded Chevron deference in situations with criminal penalties. So then under what authority does ATF have to make all of these off-the-wall determinations, flip flopping their position based on political whims? This case is a great venue to decide that question.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

What gun case has scotus ever settled “ for good “ ? Every issue we had before their cases is still on going today as either scotus ruled so weakly and narrowly it was basically useless, or democrats simply ignore their ruling and pass whatever they want anyway, knowing it will take many years to ever reach scotus, if they even take the case to begin with, which they usually don’t in second amendment cases.
View Quote

Complete bans on handguns.

May issue carry requiring good cause
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
FPC and SAF both claiming credit
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:05:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#20]

View All Quotes

What gun case has scotus ever settled “ for good “ ? Every issue we had before their cases is still on going today as either scotus ruled so weakly and narrowly it was basically useless, or democrats simply ignore their ruling and pass whatever they want anyway, knowing it will take many years to ever reach scotus, if they even take the case to begin with, which they usually don’t in second amendment cases.

A kit containing a receiver, pistol grip, rifle stock, pistol barrel, and rifle barrel is not an SBR because all parts have a legal use. Thompson Center.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:10:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#21]

View All Quotes

Let’s look at abortion rulings, in regards to how scotus “ FINALLY RULES / ENDS ISSUES PERMANENTLY VIA RULINGS “, it just proves they can roll back any previous rulings, or dozens of previously established rulings or decades of precedents via saying , “ oops, we ruled wrong previously/ those previous justices were idiots, thus, now we feel banning all handguns is now the correct ruling “.

scotus could rule tomorrow they were wrong when they blocked handgun bans previously , thus, it’s okie dokie to ban all handguns / semi auto rifles, all privately owned citizens guns now. I understand what you meant, I’m just saying there is no concrete rule of law anymore based on legal facts, legal precedents, and especially the “ INTENT” of the constitution. It’s all political warfare, feelings, and corruption, and they simply do what they want, even acknowledging publicly “ this new law is probably unconstitutional, but so what ?” Joe Biden speech. Thus, I understandably  have zero faith in any government institution , agency, office, process, civil right, or anything else they touch anymore, especially scotus.

But yes, I hope they rule in favor of 80% receivers, as they are obviously covered by the second amendment and I 100% believe the founders would have whole hardedly approved of the average citizen being able to manufacture their own firearms in their own house, with very basic tools, it’s no different than a citizen being able to write / publish their own book at home, or teach a Bible study.

They would have wanted criminals, especially violent criminals who abuse the plentiful firearms in our society and who abused the rule of law, to suffer the maximum penalty available, even death for abusing guns / committing violent acts. Not punished every citizen for those violent acts by suggesting guns be banned, or heavily restricted from the average citizen.

But here we are, corrupt tyrannical government attempting to disarm the citizens so they can pass whatever offensive law they wish, violate your rights, property and self without fear of it’s citizens, and accomplishing it via empowering hysterical Karen’s, women voters and democrats to ban scary guns for “ safety”. Later, once guns are banned, violence worse than ever, and citizens in much, much greater danger, from criminals and corrupt government, those same crusader idiots will say “ well, why did you LET me ban guns? You SHOULD have said this might happen, you should have stopped me ! So, it’s not my fault “. Same as no other problem, same as looking after their own safety / doing safer things “ wasnt their responsibility, not their fault, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Get Texas to pass one
View Quote

1000% THIS

I've been saying it for a long time, if we want SCOTUS to weigh in on AWBs then get Texas to pass one with the intention of striking it down in the 5th and the state appealing to SCOTUS.

We need to start generating circuit splits to force SCOTUS's hand.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#23]
FPC and SAF both claiming credit
View Quote

The NRA will show up if it is a positive ruling .
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Y'all better pray to whatever deity you subscribe to that Clarence Thomas doesn't die or retire before then.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

1000% THIS

I've been saying it for a long time, if we want SCOTUS to weigh in on AWBs then get Texas to pass one with the intention of striking it down in the 5th and the state appealing to SCOTUS.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

Get Texas to pass one

1000% THIS

Have Texas pass a $5 tax on any magazine that is 29 rounds or less for a rifle, 14 rounds or less for a handgun, saying they are not suitable under US v Miller. Exempt anyone with a CCW or hunting license from paying the tax.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's hoping for a good outcome. Hopefully none of you did this:

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Yeah.

My "right to carry" in NYS is really valid. What is it, over $1,000 plus multiple days off work. While I like the decisions, states like NY need to have their dicks/vaginas slapped hard to get progress. We LOST rights here after Breun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Another twisting of the Commerce Clause in 3.....2.....1.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Y'all better pray to whatever deity you subscribe to that Clarence Thomas doesn't die or retire before then.
View Quote

Considering how Biden treated him during his confirmation, I'm pretty sure Thomas is not going to give that Pedo mother fucker the satisfaction of replacing him by retiring.
Kicking the bucket? that's different, he is an overweight black man in his 70's. The numbers aren't in his favor, or ours.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#30]
BREAKING NEWS: Supreme Court Takes Up ATF Frames & Receivers Case!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Fall would be a Dec published opinion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#33]
What about the other 3 cases regarding magazines and AWBs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
View Quote

Late June 2025. Anything telling the federal government they're wrong waits until the end of the term.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:48:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#35]

Use the tweet button, change X to twitter.

Edit: seems they finally fixed the tweet button and just use it and paste the URL in it and submit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Have Texas pass a $5 tax on any magazine that is 29 rounds or less for a rifle, 14 rounds or less for a handgun, saying they are not suitable under US v Miller. Exempt anyone with a CCW or hunting license from paying the tax.

Kharn
View Quote

I was thinking ban on possession of LCMs and AWs punishable by a $1 fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
View Quote

Major cases come out in the summer. So it will depend on how big a deal they think the decision is
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#38]

Looks like they fixed the tweet button here and you don't need to change the X to twitter anymore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't know how it will go but I know I want to hear Justice Thomas' takedown of that bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

We will lose and this will turn into all sorts of parts requiring serial numbers, just watch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#41]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
What about the other 3 cases regarding magazines and AWBs?
View Quote

My best guess is they will wait for a case to reach final judgment in on of the circuit courts. Maryland and California seem to be betting on that and delaying as long as possible
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

We will lose and this will turn into all sorts of parts requiring serial numbers, just watch.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

Looks like they fixed the tweet button here and you don't need to change the X to twitter anymore.
View Quote

Finally
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I believe it will go our way, whether the states or the feds go along with it is a different matter.  That being said if it were “not” to go our way I wonder what would happen to all of the stuff already in the wild since  milling and bending receiver flats have been a thing for quite some time.  Also what about commercial guns that are pre 68?  Would they need to be serialized thus destroying some of their value?   I have some family guns that are definitely pre 68 like a bolt action 22 smooth bore that was my grandfather’s he used to shoot tweety birds out of his trees that would poop on his car.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

No doubt.  Plenty of us getting screwed by state level commies on AWB and mag bans lately.  Putting an end to the stuff that affects tens of millions of gun owners seems like it should be a priority.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Kharn
View Quote

ohh... interesting...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

Considering how Biden treated him during his confirmation, I'm pretty sure Thomas is not going to give that Pedo mother fucker the satisfaction of replacing him by retiring.
Kicking the bucket? that's different, he is an overweight black man in his 70's. The numbers aren't in his favor, or ours.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
Originally Posted By jos51700:

Pancreatic cancer is like a averaged to a 10% 5 year survival rate. RBG was diagnosed in 2009 and died 10years later. AND was already a cancer surviver when they found it(gound super early, and best doctors in the world). Id imagine that statistics for the SC are less than "typical" though they are a bit anecdotal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#49]
We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#50]
it does not matter.  the states are ignoring everything they don't like (NY, NJ, CA, etc) as well as soon-to-be converted to commie states (ex. VA dems passed 35+ bills that directly violate not only the 2A but also Heller, Miller, Bruen - all vetoed, but coming back).  Another Bruen ruling will lead to simply more of the same.

The big mistake in our Founding or somewhere is the AJ is appointed by the President.  So, commie Garland would be who would/should be suing the crap out of states for these violations and you see how that is going.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top