Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2022 10:53:38 AM EDT
Never had a beard for more than a few weeks, the itching just drives me crazy. Would beard oil help?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Mineral and coconut oil and add whatever essential oils tickle your fancy.  

No need to buy some ridiculously priced snake oil.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a base of apricot seed oil cause it's less greasy than coconut and other oils.

Added about 25% argan oil and drops of essential oils supposedly good for hair.

I had to recently shear off 7 years of growth for a job interview...so sad...it went all they way down to my my belly button and I didn't even get the job.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By muntz:
I used a base of apricot seed oil cause it's less greasy than coconut and other oils.

Added about 25% argan oil and drops of essential oils supposedly good for hair.

I had to recently shear off 7 years of growth for a job interview...so sad...it went all they way down to my my belly button and I didn't even get the job.
View Quote

Is that you Si?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I’d find a good moisturizing wash first, clean the dirt and beard-ruff out. That’s what helped me.

As for oil, it will help but every oil I used made my beard shiny and glistening which I hated. Also my finger would be shiny any time I touched it. I’d recommend looking into a balm instead. It will moisturize, help style and be nice and matte (usually).
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Came here looking for the same advise. After over 30 years in the fire department where beards are verboten, I think it’s a requirement to grow one as soon as you retire. But I’m looking for something to help soften it up. My wife is complaining about how coarse it is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried some hippy dippy organic beard product everyone said was awesome and found the natural oils would go rancid in under 24 hours and it would stink.

Now I use this, and it’s awesome. No more itch and it tamed it down good. I don’t care if it’s 100% synthetic petroleum distillates that kills penguins. It works great and doesn’t go bad by the end of the day.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
I tried some hippy dippy organic beard product everyone said was awesome and found the natural oils would go rancid in under 24 hours and it would stink.

Now I use this, and it's awesome. No more itch and it tamed it down good. I don't care if it's 100% synthetic petroleum distillates that kills penguins. It works great and doesn't go bad by the end of the day.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-dukhrgn8mp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/447/1618/gillette-kcg-beard-oil__62312.1605028353.jpg?c=2
View Quote
Does it actually soften the hair?

I've been using a beard balm and it's alright.  Helps tame some of the fly aways.  Mostly just letting it grow right now, probably need to give it a trim up.  My wife is not a huge fan of beards though so if I can make it less "prickly" then all the better.  She keeps saying if I keep it trimmed shorter it will be less rough...not sure I believe her on that one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
A little but beard oil is to keep it soft, supple, and under control.

My favorite is Magnamonious Beard Products  its not greasy like some others, it will absorb in and disappear after a while. Dude gives a vet discount also if you qualify.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:

I've been using a beard balm and it's alright.  Helps tame some of the fly aways.  Mostly just letting it grow right now, probably need to give it a trim up.  My wife is not a huge fan of beards though so if I can make it less "prickly" then all the better.  She keeps saying if I keep it trimmed shorter it will be less rough...not sure I believe her on that one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

Now I use this, and it's awesome. No more itch and it tamed it down good. I don't care if it's 100% synthetic petroleum distillates that kills penguins. It works great and doesn't go bad by the end of the day.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-dukhrgn8mp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/447/1618/gillette-kcg-beard-oil__62312.1605028353.jpg?c=2

Your beard should be at least an inch long, my advice is to grow it out to about 2-3" and then have a good barber trim it back into shape.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only tried two different product lines, Billy Jealousy and Jack Black.

I think I prefer the Billy Jealousy line, I’m using their wash, leave-in conditioner, and oil.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt you need oil.

The itching is probably because you have not trimmed your beard yet.  When you shave, the razor cuts the hair at an angle, making it sharp.  When you let it grow, those sharp ends keep poking your face, hence the itching.  If you were to take trimmers and remove ~1/4", it should help a great deal if not eliminate itching completely.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By abnk:
I doubt you need oil.

The itching is probably because you have not trimmed your beard yet.  When you shave, the razor cuts the hair at an angle, making it sharp.  When you let it grow, those sharp ends keep poking your face, hence the itching.  If you were to take trimmers and remove ~1/4", it should help a great deal if not eliminate itching completely.
View Quote
^^^this
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.thebeardstruggle.com/products/warriors-beard-butter

The Aesir's Triumph and Vahalla's Gates beard butter scents are great. No itching, keeps the beard soft with a slight hold to keep shape to the beard all day.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Idolan:
https://www.thebeardstruggle.com/products/warriors-beard-butter

The Aesir's Triumph and Vahalla's Gates beard butter scents are great. No itching, keeps the beard soft with a slight hold to keep shape to the beard all day.
View Quote

beard butter
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly i never really bought into it till last year. I dont have some huge beard, but it 100% helped my skin. Not to mention, oil is cheap. My go toos were johnny slicks original scent oil and the livebearded brand (american or canyon). No need for balm, but a gold wash will also help keep the good oils on your face vs shampoo. If you go that route, just apply the oil after a shower. The wet skin, folicles will make it easier to get through, and a little goes a lomg way. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve had a beard for many years. Only itches when growing out new for a few weeks. Use a brush or comb frequently until the itching quits. I’ve tried several different beard oils/waxes/etc and none seems to make a difference. 5W-30 is cheap if you just have to use something.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]
My beard itching is long gone but i do seem to have dry skin underneath. Will oil help with that?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rat1624:
My beard itching is long gone but i do seem to have dry skin underneath. Will oil help with that?
View Quote

Yes, oil should help with dry skin.  

How are you noticing dry skin though?  Is it bothersome in some way?  Dandruff?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Just use olive oil

But if you want to throw away money, get the latest viking berserker alpha god of peons beard oil.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Piwo_Slump:
Just use olive oil

But if you want to throw away money, get the latest viking berserker alpha god of peons beard oil.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I make my own beard grease. 1/3 each pine resin, jojoba oil, and lanolin. Might be substituting olive oil since jojoba is ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Maestros is good stuff and fairly inexpensive.
I use their beard butter, beard oil and beard wash.
I like the Speakeasy scent.
I use the butter and put a couple drops of oil in it. Too much oil makes my skin itchy.
Maestros beard butter amazon link

I'm open to try new stuff but this works for me and is cheapish.
The Spirited scent is popular too. Kinda has an old barbershop smell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top