Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 7:57:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Angle grinder, cut the bolt on either side of the shock and replace along with shock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#2]
Use a 4" angle grinder with a cutting blade.   An air compressor powered cut-off tool will also work.     Pry the the shock to one side, and cut the bolt along the inside of the bracket.  Pry to the other side and cut again.  If space it tight you may have to cut the shaft of the shock for more room to work.    

If the bracket is not bent open you can cut the bolt flush to the bracket and then pry it open to release the cut ends of the bolt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
air hammer would probably make quick work of that
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
View Quote

Not when the sleeve in the bushing is seized to the bolt with rust.   In road salt states, leaf springs often have the this happen.

If seized, cutting is the only option.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#5]
You likely have weight/force on that shock bolt, it will make them feel right seized.  Put a jack under the end and try jacking the thing up just a tiny *touch* at a time.  Once you get the jack to *just* take off the force of the spring, it'll be a LOT easier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
if you want to save the shock then shim the far side of the shock against the mount and hammer the head of the bolt [after lubing the bolt well] against the opposite side of the shock. That should break the rust bond and allow movement and penetration of the oil.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#7]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:

Not when the sleeve in the bushing is seized to the bolt with rust.   In road salt states, leaf springs often have the this happen.

View Quote

I’ll disagree with you there, but acetylene torch isn’t a bad secondary option. If all you have is an angle grinder, have at it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Cut the bolt on both sides.  Push the bushing out of the shock and deal with it on the bench.  This assumes you're trying to save the shock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Air hammer will loosen the rust.

If you can hit from both sides with the air hammer.
Also heat it up and hit with cold.
Also pout some coke on it. Might get in there and eat the rust.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#13]
Originally Posted By fish223:
Air hammer is useless. The entire bolt and sleeve spin freely inside the bushing, and lateral forces bend the flange
The nut comes off easily, too. I definitely have to cut the bolt. I am not trying to save the shock, I was actually trying to save and reuse the hardware, which is not gonna happen.
New hardware just arrived, so now I can cut the old bolt. I have a mini-reciprocating saw that should get onto the gaps inside the flange, and an angle grinder if I have to cut the eyelet. And as a final backup, precut ready-to-weld flanges are available if I have to whack the flange off the frame. Thanks for the suggestions, I tried them all except the acetylene torch, and now for the destructive fix....
View Quote

See my post about the forces on the bolt.  The one time I had one as bad as yours, that's what it was, I just had to fiddle with the jack to get it to *just* take the force off of the bolt, then it came out much easier than I had expected.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Oh, sorry, there are no forces on the bolt. The upper mount is fully released and disengaged, the shock is just sitting there, can flop it right over against the fender liner. No stresses at all on the bolt, or the eyelet. Just a seized sleeve, spinning happily in the rubber bushing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

See my post about the forces on the bolt.  The one time I had one as bad as yours, that's what it was, I just had to fiddle with the jack to get it to *just* take the force off of the bolt, then it came out much easier than I had expected.

Oh, sorry, there are no forces on the bolt. The upper mount is fully released and disengaged, the shock is just sitting there, can flop it right over against the fender liner. No stresses at all on the bolt, or the eyelet. Just a seized sleeve, spinning happily in the rubber bushing.

Then yeah, you're going to have to get destructive.  Torch, drill, angle grinder, sawzall, what have you.

Or if you have a welder, you can weld a huge honkin pipe to that bolt.  Let the heat shock it, and also have a 6' lever to pull on.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top