Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2023 8:57:50 PM EDT
Our department is finally re-issuing shotguns.   After we got rifles, shotguns went bye bye.   After hassling my chief for years, he has finally let me get new shotguns.

I’d like to get up to date, and I’m leaning towards the new beretta a300 patrol.   I fully understand the capabilities and limitations of both punks and semis.

Has anyone switched to semi-auto?   What’s your experience?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
We have had Benelli M1 Super 90s for over 25 years with no issues.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:16:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kels] [#2]
Beretta 1301s are very nice
They also shoot very fast
I have big hands, so the pistol  
grip was not my favorite add on

Being a dinosaur
I personally would rather have my old
Remington 870 police magnum or
Even the Winchester 1300 riot gun
(American made version, not current Turkish ones)
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We issue pumps but can carry whatever

There’s not really a down side to semi autos. Actually easier to train people to operate in my experience at an agency level

Beretta A300 is a great choice. I’ve been hauling one around, it’s loaded with breaching slugs, it cycles and shoots them great. It will breach doors and meat
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
“Get up to date” and shotguns doesn’t vibe.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By espantoonMP:
“Get up to date” and shotguns doesn’t vibe.
View Quote

Why do you say that?   I see no negatives to having a rifle and shotgun, dual mounted in a cruiser.   Shotguns have a lot of specific capabilities rifles don’t have.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
20ish years ago our dept got the idea that we would issue Benelli M1Super 90's and pull the 870's and make them less lethal guns.  They only bought maybe 50-60 M1S90s before scrapping the less lethal idea.  They kept the M1S90s in service along with the 870's, as well as a patrol rifle program.

Now within the last few years the range staff has become more progressive, and there's talk of getting rid of all the 870s and replacing them with Beretta 1301 or A300's.  If it goes through I imagine they will pull the M1S90s as well, Id imagine there are probably only 30 ish out on the street still.  They haven't ran a benelli class in over a decade, if someone with on retires/turns it in they don't get issued out again.

I think itd be a good move, the 870 I was issued at first was from 1978.  Had to turn it in when i got a rifle, but if i could carry both I would.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
We have Remington 870s here at my current agency but when I was a deputy we could carry just about anything. Myself and others used the Mossberg 930 SPX and that was awesome in shotgun school.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
i would have zero issues with my beretta 1301 absolutely wonderful shotgun, patterns very tight with flight control rounds and runs low brass birdshot without issue
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I would say if you want shotguns to be relevant, make sure to train everyone in shotgun breaching, and have good breaching ammo available.  Useful in active shooter situations and such.  

Shotguns will remain a good tool for that reason alone if nothing else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top