Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2024 1:45:55 PM EDT
I snagged a crazy deal on Chrono24 from a private seller. Watch is in very good shape, last serviced in 2017. Year of manufacture per the serial number is 2005. I know it is not a rep because there are no good reps out there with the proper subdial spacing because there is no copy of the Lemania movement available. I'll have a local jeweler open it to verify the movement regardless and throw it on a graph to see what it is gaining/losing per day. Chrono24 uses an escrow service and offers buyer protection, so I'm not terribly worried.

If I don't want to send it to Omega, who is the go to person for service and polishing/brushing the exterior and crystal? What is the approximate cost and turn around time? Probably doesn't need it right away, but in the event it does I'd love to hear some ideas and firsthand experience.

And yes... this recent acquisition means there will likely be Hiram's Horological HandMeDowns in the EE soon, or on WatchUSeek given the recent EE "improvements."
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats! There's a guy on Omega Forums with the username Archer who does services, is Omega certified and has great feedback.

PS, typing this with my 3861 Moonwatch on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tabraha:
Congrats! There's a guy on Omega Forums with the username Archer who does services, is Omega certified and has great feedback.

View Quote

Guess that's another forum I need to join!

Omega Service Centers get $900... ouch! I'll see what Archer charges. Appreciate the referral.

I know the local Rolex Ad has a watchmaker that has been to a number of manufacturers' schools. Not sure if he is Omega certified. I know he is Rolex certified.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

@tabraha thanks for the referral but Archer's rough estimate is $1,100 for a service. YIKES! I think Omega says $900 and I figured they would be pricier. Will check and see if my buddy can get me a hookup through the Rolex AD.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm subscribed to Wristwatch Revival on YouTube.  He's a hobbiest watch smith and makes high quality videos, often times on watches people send in for service and/or restoration.  No idea what he charges, but watch a few vids and see if you want to trust him.  

I didn't use to get why people listed so for high end watches.  But I've always been fascinated with the workings in watches and clocks, and seeing the quality of what is inside high-end watches l now understand. And wouldn't mind owning something nice.  But they will forever be outside my budget.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Seamaster I recently got back from Omega service.
One thing I will say about sending it there vs anywhere else. It will come back as if it were brand new. They replace virtually everything that isn't in brand new condition, and that's included in the cost of the service. I had a new bracelet installed on mine which obviously they will charge extra for. Their site lists everything covered and not.
Since the watch was new to me and had no paperwork, sending it to them for service also served as an authentication.
They shipped it back next day air at no additional charge, and in a new red Omega box with all the parts they replaced.
It also now has a 2 yr warranty for whatever that's worth.  
Since mine wasn't a chrono, it was $700 plus $750 for the bracelet.

As a comparison, I was quoted by the local jeweler AD, $800 + parts, and $1k for the bracelet.

Another watch repair place that was highly recommeded, quoted me $500 plus parts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Mail In Watch Repair out of Ohio. My Seamaster GMT is there right now. He is Omega certified and does good work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

@tabraha thanks for the referral but Archer's rough estimate is $1,100 for a service. YIKES! I think Omega says $900 and I figured they would be pricier. Will check and see if my buddy can get me a hookup through the Rolex AD.
View Quote
I'm not suprised. He commands a premium and probably has a little faster turnaround, but it's hard not to go to the source for a couple hundred less! I would trust anyone who is Rolex/Omega cert'd though if the watch is running reasonably well. Have you checked it to see how tight it is keeping time?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Chronos are always expensive. Even if another service is a few hundred less, I'd send it to Omega and get back a new watch with guaranteed OEM parts. I wish I had a bigger wrist as it's a classic but I can't pull off a 42mm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not suprised. He commands a premium and probably has a little faster turnaround, but it's hard not to go to the source for a couple hundred less! I would trust anyone who is Rolex/Omega cert'd though if the watch is running reasonably well. Have you checked it to see how tight it is keeping time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Hasn’t arrived yet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Call Rik Dietel at Time Care, Inc. for a over the phone estimate. He's a good guy and knows his stuff.

727-215-8870
View Quote

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top