Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2023 1:33:55 PM EDT
Have some ribs seasoned, and the egg warming up.  Planning on doing 2-2-1 at 225.

I want to say that last week I read that some of the people know actually know what they are doing actually rest ribs after wrapping and before basting with sauce.  Have any of you done that and how much of a difference does it make?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never rested ribs.  

I tend to start eating them before they come off the smoker.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
I've never rested ribs.  

View Quote

No kidding.  I have to throw some treats on to nibble.

I have done the wrap/rest thing, and mine got very tender.  45 minutes seems like the right time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I have done the wrap/rest thing, and mine got very tender.  45 minutes seems like the right time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
I've never rested ribs.  

Was planning on only wrapping for about 45-50 min and not a full hour.

I have had times where I have had them falling off the bone comming off the grill, not a fan of that.  They taste fine, but it defeats the purpose of the rib.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sak_253:

I believe that you do not need to rest ribs before you sauce/eat them. Once they are at your desired temp, you should be good to go. If I do sauce my ribs (unwrapped) I will throw it on the last 20 minutes of my cook to get it nice and tacky.
View Quote

That is what I have done in the past.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Ribs should never rest.  Keep them working.

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I only wrap if I am cheating for time.  Cutting a rack in half and pouring on honey and brown sugar to both layers in a stack and wrapping is a common competition technique I have seen.  I have done it a time or two, also sauced, wrapped, finish, and then 20 minutes unwrapped at higher temp to caramelize sauce.

The only way you can screw them up is if you cook them too long and they fall apart.  I still feel shame for the time I let this happen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I only wrap if I am cheating for time.  Cutting a rack in half and pouring on honey and brown sugar to both layers in a stack and wrapping is a common competition technique I have seen.  I have done it a time or two, also sauced, wrapped, finish, and then 20 minutes unwrapped at higher temp to caramelize sauce.

The only way you can screw them up is if you cook them too long and they fall apart.  I still feel shame for the time I let this happen.
View Quote

I cut in half simply because I only have a 'large' egg, if I didnt cut it it may not fit and even if it did the ends would likely be burnt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Pretty much anything I smoke gets a 45 min rest.  Especially ribs.  If I don't rest them, they don't have the right texture when you bite into them.

I see several responses saying they don't rest.  Everyone's technique is different, I guess, but that is what works best for me.  Smoking is a time intensive technique.  Try it both ways and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:

I cut in half simply because I only have a 'large' egg, if I didnt cut it it may not fit and even if it did the ends would likely be burnt.
View Quote

I recommend studying the Yoder master race thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By keith13b:
Pretty much anything I smoke gets a 45 min rest.  
View Quote
I rarely have that level of restraint.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I rarely have that level of restraint.
View Quote
My weakness is making Jerky.  Between taking it out of the smoker and the tray first hitting the kitchen countertop, mysteriously up to 50% goes missing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top