Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:35:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hotdog250j] [#1]
Stay out of Moore Ok and you're good.

Aarg, 38 seconds! But pg 2 ownage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jus_in_bello] [#2]
A car is probably only second to a mobile home for being the absolute worst place to try and survive a tornado in. Get onto a low lying area and lay absolutely flat. If it is above a certain strength, nowhere above ground is survivable. Cars will become mangled balls of metal  as they roll and/or become airborne with you mashed up into it, if you are belted in you MIGHT stay in the ball then die, if not you will likely be tossed or blown out and then blasted with debris to death.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By redseven11b:
Drive into the tornado in a counter clockwise drift. It'll nullify the wind, but not the debris, and you'll, probably, drive safely through

This is how I made it through east Texas
View Quote

Fast & Furious 11, Oklahoma Drift
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Tornado Alley. A tornado can be as much as 1.5 miles wide.

" DO NOT TRY TO OUTRUN A TORNADO IN YOUR CAR! The least desirable place to be in a tornado is in a motor vehicle. If you are in a mobile home, a vehicle or outdoors when a tornado strikes, go to a safe building or other strong structure. If there is no shelter nearby, lie flat in the closest ditch, ravine, or depression."

https://afbic.com/about/commitment-safety/tornado-safety/#:~:text=DO%20NOT%20TRY%20TO%20OUTRUN,ditch%2C%20ravine%2C%20or%20depression

My son was renting an apartment above a friend's garage. A tornado hit. It picked up the second floor and stripped the 1st floor down to the concrete slab. It moved the 2d floor about 50 feet and set it down. He was TDY at the time. He found his apartment amazingly intact. His bed hadn't moved an inch and the bed was still made up. The owner's house, a few yards away, was wiped out. The town a mile away was severely damaged.

My home is on top of the highest landmark for twenty miles. We have seen tornadoes come at us but they always end up going around us. Still, there is no guaranteed safe place, just some safer than others. Homes around here don't have basements. Many build storm shelters and stock them. Let neighbors or friends know when you take shelter. One local couple was trapped in one when a tornado dropped a tree on top of it. They were found a couple of days later safe and sound. A neighbor noticed they were missing and had the common sense to check up on them.  Don't count on your cellphone working either. Tornadoes are totally unpredictable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
1 is my plan.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
Stay out of Moore Ok and you're good.

Aarg, 38 seconds! But pg 2 ownage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tras:
Flying shit is the problem.  Absolutely stay in anything that protects you from flying shit.  You may become  flying shit but that's better than being completely unprotected.
View Quote

I know someone that was killed in their vehicle by debris from a storm.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Tornados don't exactly come out of nowhere. Pay attention to the weather.

I frequently check NOAA'S Storm Prediction Center convective outlook.  It provides a decent heads-up for when to really pay attention.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:49:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OUSooner] [#9]
I think climate change has shifted the big tornado lines. Alabama and Tennessee(even Little Rock last year) has had bigger tornadoes than us recently.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Little known fact.  You can fight off a tornado with numchucks if you practice.  Takes cocobolo chucks.  Only ones heavy enough.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:09:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAvatar9265ft] [#11]
Been through two that passed within a mile...

Big fucker like a F-3 and your car is a flying deathtrap. Even a F-2. Side curtain airbags don't do shit when you are dropped on your roof from 150ft. Plastic or aluminum panels will not stop 200+mph missiles.

About to get hit? Ditch or better yet a culvert please...

Overpass? Only if I could wedge myself up in the concrete...

Best plan? Don't be caught out in that shit. When you get that alert or hear the siren, come in from the field and go to the cellar in the ranch house until you can check the radar track.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The Tulsa-Catusa tornado from the early 90's; most if not all, were killed in cars on I-44.

All 9 of the fatalities in the 26 December 2015 were in cars at I-30 & TX 161.

No, a car is not where you want to be in the event of a tornado, unless you can unass the scene.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The threat of tornados in this part of the world is way overblown in some folks imagination. I’ve lived on the Kansas/Oklahoma state line for my entire life, and have never even seen a tornado. You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Wait that’s shit people worry about? You have to really fuck up bad and have zero situational awareness to get smoked by a tornado. Your daughter has an irrational fear.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:59:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taktiq] [#15]
Originally Posted By Gator96:

He drove directly INTO the largest tornado ever recorded. I would strongly advise against that.
View Quote

No he didn't. It turned suddenly.
The Last Chase: Remembering Tim Samaras | National Geographic
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Flying shit is the problem.  Absolutely stay in anything that protects you from flying shit.  You may become  flying shit but that's better than being completely unprotected.
View Quote

At least in a vehicle you’re flying shit, but with airbags.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Agree.  I was within a mile a few weeks ago on the highway.  It was dark and I stopped under an overpass to get out of the hail. Didn't realize we were directly in the path.  When we saw the radar, we headed west at about 90 through the hail. No way in hell I'm getting out to go lay in a ditch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#18]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Tornados don't exactly come out of nowhere. Pay attention to the weather.

I frequently check NOAA'S Storm Prediction Center convective outlook.  It provides a decent heads-up for when to really pay attention.

View Quote
I don't live in a high risk area for tornados, I probably find myself in about a 6-12 tornado warnings a year. The ones that develops around here are usually small and blow over a few trees and maybe blow some shingles off. Up until four years ago (yesterday) I'd never seen a tornado or the damage left behind.  I received a warning on my phone 15 minutes before the tornado (F3 with 3 fatalities near me) got here, but I was complacent.

By the time I knew I was in trouble, I was upstairs with few options. I sat in an interior hallway while the back 18' tall exterior wall folded in half, the roof blew off, then the exterior walls peeled away. It was a wild ride but I made it out without a scratch.

As far as the OP's question, a few miles from me, in the tornado's path, saw two houses wiped off their slabs. Between them was an untouched trailer house. Who knows exactly where the safest spot would be. I'd probably prefer to be in a vehicle with some protection than out in the open.

Now when I get a warning, I pay attention and stay near where I hope will be a safe spot.

ETA pic - behind the broke off tree on the far right is a small lean to with metal roof I built against a shed. The lean to is undamaged, even the lattice is still in place. A huge pine center punched the shed.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
"It isn't that the wind is blowing, it's what the wind is blowing"

Ron White
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
It seems like every few years, the recommendations change. I remember a time when staying in the vehicle was not recommended, and hiding inside an underpass was recommended. Now it's the opposite.

<---been taking NWS storm spotter classes for ~30 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

As Ron White put it, "it's not THAT the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Vexed:
I think a lot depends on the strength of the tornado. I know if I was in the path and circumstances dictated I can’t flee, I’d opt for a ditch over staying in my vehicle personally. Get below grade with terrain features between you and the vortex. I’ve seen too many things like semi tractors with trailers get hucked into the wind like dandelions.

All that said, OK storm seasons seem to be weakening for the last few years WRT to powerful long track tornadoes. Seems like the wrath of god has shifted out of the typical alley. I say that but an EF-2 passed within half a mile of my house and did some damage last year and tornadoes haven’t hit my town in the 20 yrs I’ve lived here.
View Quote

Ditches saving you are a myth.  Don't do this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#23]

He drove directly INTO the largest tornado ever recorded. I would strongly advise against that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That tornado had a very abnormal path.  It's like it was out to get chasers that day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Tornado people seem to shrug it off like "hand of God"
View Quote

I guess atheists don't have that option?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Dallas Tornado Video Shows Massive Twisters in Texas, Tractor Trailers Thrown Around Like Toys
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Have a passenger use a weather radar app to navigate you away from the path of the tornado. Cars go faster than tornadoes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:37:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Consigli] [#27]
Back in Kansas, in the 1970's, we all kept souped-up cars in the garage for tornado emergencies. You could get muscle cars cheap back then, thanks to the Arab oil embargo. You wanted a big block rat motor or a built small block. Then you could outrun any tornado up to a F4. Now the rich kids had hemi's for F5 and above. Those elephant motors could pull! Them tornado sirens would go off. And if you were in the garden picken tomatoes or shucking corn, it was the signal to drop what you were doing and fire up the tornado racers. We would all race up to the hill. Now there weren't many hills in Kansas, so the top would get real crowded with hot rods. So it sort of became a big party, and we all watched for funnel clouds. When they appeared, it was like the checkered flag at the Indy 500. Engines would roar to life and scores of cars would peel out. At 90 degree angles to the tornado, of course. No one ever got killed by one, but Uncle Fritz did have a close call with a F5 prairie sweeper in his Duesenberg. He use to always say you needed a big engine for a big twister.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Stay in the vehicle unless you have a for sure safe place or fraidy hole at hand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Came to post this.

Also: If you're going to play in a windy environment, make sure you have enough HP and ground clearance to GTFO the way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
Have a passenger use a weather radar app to navigate you away from the path of the tornado. Cars go faster than tornadoes.
View Quote
Avoid freeways if possible. Traffic can bind up in a hurry over the dumbest shit, and the next exit is miles away.

Gravel roads can become impassable without warning as well, but there tend to be more options to go a different way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Get out, find the lowest spot you can and lay flat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Strela:
Get out, find the lowest spot you can and lay flat.
View Quote

+1

Although I'm closing the gap, I still present a slightly lower, more streamlined profile to the wind than my truck.

I get the flying debris thing, but being inside a vehicle being dropped from 50 or 100 feet probably ain't much fun either.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#33]
This was all thoroughly studied many years ago, statistically you are FAR more likely to survive a tornado if you get in your vehicle and drive the fuck away from it than you are trying to hunker down in a house or anywhere else.

There's a reason storm-chasers almost never get nailed despite playing tag with tornados repeatedly, it's because they know when to turn around and haul-ass.

Lived most of my life in tornado country, been grazed a couple times but never hit directly, it's really not something to worry about. Was in a walmart one time when the storms blew in, walked up to the front because everything had gone quiet, massive winds, grocery carts bouncing by the front door and shit. Security telling everybody to stay inside and hunker down, I said bullshit i'm leaving, got in my truck and drove AWAY from the storm and got home just fine. Meanwhile about two miles down the road at a grocery store they told 'em the same thing, and then a tornado ripped the roof off which kinda showed the hole in their logic.

This was the day of the F5 in Jarrell, that twister ripped EVERYTHING apart, it tore the asphalt off the roads, even took most of the topsoil off down to bare rock, anybody that tried to hunker down, died.

You see a tornado, you get in your vehicle and prepare to get fast and furious.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mardoc] [#34]
Originally Posted By WWIIWMD:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-r8xL3Q8/0/FRSz3MpTr7Gqx4HfVW8vgNgHk3xpQXpXsbDDwkVpV/O/i-r8xL3Q8.gif

#2 may depend on terrain and distance when spotted

ETA 1 cow is enough beef
View Quote

"That Twister tornado got on my nerves. How come that tornado could tear a 40 penny nail out of a 2 x 12, but couldn't get a tank top and bra off Helen Hunt? One thing I can't stand is gay tornado!" - Tim Wilson

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
This was all thoroughly studied many years ago, statistically you are FAR more likely to survive a tornado if you get in your vehicle and drive the fuck away from it than you are trying to hunker down in a house or anywhere else.

There's a reason storm-chasers almost never get nailed despite playing tag with tornados repeatedly, it's because they know when to turn around and haul-ass.

Lived most of my life in tornado country, been grazed a couple times but never hit directly, it's really not something to worry about. Was in a walmart one time when the storms blew in, walked up to the front because everything had gone quiet, massive winds, grocery carts bouncing by the front door and shit. Security telling everybody to stay inside and hunker down, I said bullshit i'm leaving, got in my truck and drove AWAY from the storm and got home just fine. Meanwhile about two miles down the road at a grocery store they told 'em the same thing, and then a tornado ripped the roof off which kinda showed the hole in their logic.

This was the day of the F5 in Jarrell, that twister ripped EVERYTHING apart, it tore the asphalt off the roads, even took most of the topsoil off down to bare rock, anybody that tried to hunker down, died.

View Quote

Also staying in your car allows you to put on theme music.  Sometimes I need some quick pickin bluegrass for getaway music,  sometimes I need some badass metal or electronica if I'm hunkering down to ride the wind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I was under the impression that cars can go much faster in a straight line than a tornado can. Just go in the opposite direction and floor it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#37]
Originally Posted By terryj:
Only if you drive a Chevy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjCMX6g0cvY
View All Quotes
if he knew enough to drive away after, why didnt he drive away before?

ETA:
Originally Posted By electrojk:
It was a 16 or 17 YO kid driving. Broke his back and went to school the next day without getting looked at. A chevy dealer gave him a new truck.

wow!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#38]
They always say you can't outrun a tornado. But if your only option is sitting in a still car or trying to drive away from it...I'd try driving away.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I lost my house in the Moore, 2013 F5..When I knew it was coming for me but still aways off I grabbed the dog..got in the van and headed south.  Roads were clear all the way to the highway and that was clear too...10 years later (after my divorce) im back in Moore.  Housing is super cheap here lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Your daughter is justified in her apprehension about tornados. A house could land on the car since it contains a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I would tell her shouldn't be worring about it.  Tornadoes don't just appear randomly.  There is usually several days warning that a particular day will be prone to tornadic activity.  When the line does start to fire, monitor the storms on an app like RadarScope and navigate around the storms.  You could also stop somewhere until the line blows through.  Most towns have some area designated as a storm shelter that is usually open to the public.

FWI, I've seen many and have been in one.  When I was a kid, I watched a trailer house get blown away from the local batting cages.  I had to stop for one and let it cross the road in front of me when I was headed to school to pick up my son.  When I got home, it had just touched the tree line 300yds behind my house.  With that said, there are many people in OK that live their entire lives without seeing a tornado.

~J
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mardoc:

"That Twister tornado got on my nerves. How come that tornado could tear a 40 penny nail out of a 2 x 12, but couldn't get a tank top and bra off Helen Hunt? One thing I can't stand is gay tornado!" - Tim Wilson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oapm7FQGbrw
View Quote

Look, all I'm saying is don't fold the maps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

View Quote

Yep. I do a little storm chasing, and am pretty hyper-aware about tornadoes. If I have more than a minutes warning, I am hopping in the truck and getting THE FUCK out of the way.

With today’s technology, you can get a radar app on your phone to see exactly where the tornado is, and where it’s headed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By VoodooChile:
I lost my house in the Moore, 2013 F5..When I knew it was coming for me but still aways off I grabbed the dog..got in the van and headed south.  Roads were clear all the way to the highway and that was clear too...10 years later (after my divorce) im back in Moore.  Housing is super cheap here lol
View Quote

Missed my cousin’s house by 100 yards or so. I’ve never seen devastation like I saw there in Moore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#46]
"1-try to determine the direction, if it's moving i guess from left to right/ not towards you, flee at a right angle"

In aircraft and nautical navigation, it's  a fact that if another airplane or boat stays in one position on your windshield, its either on a parallel or collision course. That said, they weave so much that it won't stay on one place very long
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#47]
I believe I would utilize the engine of the vehicle to transport me away from the tornado at a rate faster than it's approaching.
View Quote

Never seen a tornado.

That thread last week showing the videos of various looong funnels (including some shots where the cameraman seemed to be almost beneath part of a funnel that was stretched out diagonally), and the video of the warehouse destruction, seems to show that tornadoes don’t really move across the ground faster than a vehicle can GTFO of the way, unless you’re unlucky enough to not notice the funnel forming above you and it drops down pretty much ON you.

It looks like if you can see it on the ground, even within say 500 yards, you can determine, “It’s headed THAT way, I’m gonna go THIS way”.

*** various sites state that while tornadoes can travel at up to 60mph, the average speed is between 10-30mph.

So yeah, unless it’s already right on you, any vehicle should be able to outrun one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
I originally read the thread title as "Should you stay in your vehicle if you’re going to be hit by a tomato?"
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

ETA:

wow!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

ETA:
Originally Posted By electrojk:
It was a 16 or 17 YO kid driving. Broke his back and went to school the next day without getting looked at. A chevy dealer gave him a new truck.

wow!

Also, the guy with the dash cam; cool as a cucumber. “Hey, there’s a tornado about to cross the road, ahead. Stop driving TOWARDS it? Why? It’s goin right to left”.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Would you rather be stuck on a road with a random man or a tornado?
Page / 3
Top Top