Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2024 4:55:20 PM EDT
The concept for this was a build that was simple enough, but using raw / unmilled lumber.  Really just a way to get me back into the shop and practice the basics a little more.  I am certainly still in a learning phase so every project teaches me something I can do better or different.

So this is a simple "Postmodern" wall shelf that I made in about a week of on and off time in the shop.  It started as unmilled Cherry from a local wholesaler ($3.99 BF) and is finished with Odie's Oil.  All in all I have $25 worth of wood and consumables, so not too bad.

I am certainly no furniture maker.  More of a crafts and Bird house guy, but I am trying to expand my horizons.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:26:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RinsableTick] [#1]
Looks good!  These things can be trickier to make than you realize.  I'm still a noob struggling with getting four good mitered corners like that on the equipment I have, but getting there.  Wish I could mill down rough lumber like that.  Someday...
Edit:  Question, are those mitered corners just glued?  Cause that's not a particularly strong joint, unless you got some hidden splines in there I can't see.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
Looks good!  These things can be trickier to make than you realize.  I'm still a noob struggling with getting four good mitered corners like that on the equipment I have, but getting there.  Wish I could mill down rough lumber like that.  Someday...
Edit:  Question, are those mitered corners just glued?  Cause that's not a particularly strong joint, unless you got some hidden splines in there I can't see.
View Quote
I also still struggle with getting perfect mite joints.  This one came closer than others I have done.  But still working on my technique.

As for the joints, they are glued and then pin nailed with 23 gauge 1" pins.  The two cubes are also not directly attached to each other.  They slip into slots and then have a small cross tab in the back that holds them in place.  The idea is I can break it down if ever needed for packing or shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top