Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2024 1:18:53 PM EDT
I am not a "power user" when it comes to computers, but I need to use .PDFs and I hate that everytime I click on a .PDF Microsoft "Volunteers" to open Edge to work over .PDFs.

(A) is there a good freeware .PDF handler I can download?

(B) How would I tell Windows 10 (I won't be going to Win 11 since I don't have some magic chip) to associate all my .PDF files with something OTHER than Microsoft Edge?

Thank You for any & all help!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#1]
If you install the free Adobe Reader, it will give you an option to make it the default app to handle PDFs.

However beware that it comes with some of its own baggage.

There is also a way to associate some other app with .PDFs (but it has been a while since I have done that, so perhaps someone else will direct you to where to find that).
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
A - not sure of anything better than Adobe Acrobat Reader.   I'm sure there are others, but I've not had a need in many years.

B - click the windows button....type in the search bar "Chiose default apps by file type.....find .pdf.....change the program to whatever else you have installed.  As noted above you'll probably have an opportunity during installation to make the change.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
In windows 10 or 11 open the start menu and start typing: default apps
That widget will let you set what app opens PDFs.  Acrobat, Foxit PDF reader, whatever
Look for the "choose default apps by file type" then scroll for PDF.

Also if you are clicking a link in browser try doing save as instead of open.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cruze5:  i will never understand the hatred of Pdf's opening in edge.

you can open it.  you can view it.  you can edit it.      what exactly more do you want?
View Quote

For Microsoft not to fuck with the settings for .pdfs that I have already set before I installed Edge.  I didn't ask Microsoft to fuck with my settings, but inshallah someday I will fuck with theirs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
We use Foxit PDF, a free download from Foxit.com

During the install or from the menu their is a click button to link all .PDF files to open with Foxit instead of Edge.

Firefox is a nice independent browser (does not force feed you the MS stuff on you)
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
install Brave, open with that
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I like Foxit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Huscarl:
We use Foxit PDF, a free download from Foxit.com

During the install or from the menu their is a click button to link all .PDF files to open with Foxit instead of Edge.

Firefox is a nice independent browser (does not force feed you the MS stuff on you)
View Quote

I used Foxit for several years, it worked great. I just let Firefox handle them now, it does perfectly fine. Edge is one of the first things to get uninstalled on my systems.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cruze5:

Then right click on a file and change it to open in another supported app
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cruze5:
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By cruze5:  i will never understand the hatred of Pdf's opening in edge.

you can open it.  you can view it.  you can edit it.      what exactly more do you want?

For Microsoft not to fuck with the settings for .pdfs that I have already set before I installed Edge.  I didn't ask Microsoft to fuck with my settings, but inshallah someday I will fuck with theirs.

Then right click on a file and change it to open in another supported app

I already did that.  Microsoft then went & fucked w/ my settings.  They are a hateful near monopoly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top