Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2024 12:03:05 AM EDT
Fatalities confirmed after small plane crash along Interstate 40 East in West Nashville

It happened just after 7:30p. They were departing JWN according to news reports. It appears to be a Saratoga, I think it's this plane; C-FBWH

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Watching channel 4, looks like a Saratoga declared an emergency, tried to make it to Tune airport but didn’t make it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:41:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#3]
Metro officials share update on plane crash in West Nashville, TN

Declared an emergency and was headed for runway 2 at John Tune, but didn't make it to the airport.  The crash site is roughly in line with a long final for runway 2. (ETA: slightly east of a long final)

ETA2:
Attachment Attached File

Red 'circle' is the approximate location of the crash, from what has been stated in news reports.

ETA3:  I found a news photo of the crash site, and it is in that red circle.  If the pilot was on a long final and realized he couldn't make it, then turned toward I-40 to land in the eastbound lane (probably the only landing option he could identify in the dark), I-40 eastbound is downhill from about the end of the Hwy 70 onramp to roughly the crash site, and there is (or was?) a traffic monitoring camera on a pole on the right shoulder, just before you get to the crash site.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:18:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#4]
Flightaware shows the plane over flying the airport, at pattern altitude and then making a turn back.

Audio, it dosen't inspire confidence in the pilots situational awareness.

JWN Tower Audio

Air Traffic Control: "Are you trying to land at John Tune?"
Pilot: "My engine turned off. I'm at 1,600. I'm going to be landing. (sigh) I don't know where."

Near the end of the audio you can hear another pilot offering some advice 'fly that airplane'.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
Flightaware shows the plane over flying the airport, at pattern altitude and then making a turn back.

JWN Tower Audio

Pilot: "My engine turned off. I'm at 1,600. I'm going to be landing. (sigh) I don't know where."

Near the end of the audio you can hear another pilot offering some advice 'fly that airplane'.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
They came down way to hard. Wonder if he stall/spinned. That area is terrible for emergencies. All hills, trees, businesses and houses. Very few viable fields. You have to choose between the interstate and ditching in the river.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Redec:
They came down way to hard. Wonder if he stall/spinned. That area is terrible for emergencies. All hills, trees, businesses and houses. Very few viable fields. You have to choose between the interstate and ditching in the river.
View Quote

Or trying for one of the open fields on the other side of the river, which you would be flying over on a straight in approach for 2.  Not a good idea in the dark, though, since there's very few artificial lights in Belle's Bend and high tension powerlines crossing the river to the left of the approach, cutting across the southern part of Belle's Bend, then crossing back over the river to the right of the approach.  Going down in Belle's Bend would also involve some waiting on emergency responders, since the closing of Cleese's ferry left it with just the long way around to get in and out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goodn] [#8]
Wow.  That prop was absolutely not turning. And no fire.  

That thing went in hard.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#9]
The traffic monitoring camera apparently got video of the plane passing in front of the camera just before impact, along with the flash when it exploded.

Video of Nashville plane crash off I-40 | Here's what we know

ETA: Looks like two cameras got video.

Cameras show plane crashing next to I-40
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Another video, from a doorbell camera.  Looks like it's from the neighborhood between I-40 and the river.

VIDEO: Doorbell camera captures plane crash in West Nashville, TN

Seems to be some back and forth on course changes.  

Couldn't make up his mind on what his best option was?  Trying to lose altitude before the upcoming turn of I-40?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#11]
I don't think he ever had the airport in sight.

Family of five have been identified, pilot Victor Dotsenko, 43, his wife, Rimma Dotsenko, 39, and their three children, David, 12, Adam, 10, and Emma, 7

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Part of the preliminary report is in the local news:

The cockpit and cabin were destroyed by impact forces and fire, and most flight instrumentation and gauges were destroyed by impact and fire; the vertical speed indicator read -400 FPM and the manifold pressure/fuel flow gauge that was heavily fire damaged indicated 15 inches manifold pressure and zero gallons per hour fuel flow. The airplane was equipped with an electronic engine monitor that was heavily fire damaged, however, the internal components were relatively intact and retained for further examination.

The propeller blades (3) remained attached to the hub and engine at the propeller flange. Two of the blades exhibited little to no chordwise scraping with one of the blades having a slight forward bend and minor polishing. There were no leading edge gouges. One of the blades was bent aft mid span about 60°. The propeller spinner was crushed and lacked rotational damage signatures. The propeller governor remained attached to the engine at the mounting pad. The propeller governor control linkage remained attached to the control arm.

The engine crankshaft was rotated by hand through numerous rotations beyond 720°, and compression and suction were observed on all cylinders. There was no grinding or limitations to movement and crankshaft continuity was confirmed. Valve actuation was confirmed. There was oil throughout the engine and in the oil sump, the oil filter was free of ferrous material or debris; the oil filter screen contained some unknown foreign debris but was not obstructed. A borescope was inserted through the top spark plug holes and no anomalies were observed on the piston faces, valve faces or cylinder walls. The turbocharger was found intact, rotated smoothly when spun by hand. There was no damage to the compressor or bearings, nor was there any oil staining or discoloration. The unit remained attached to the engine via its mount and the attached turbine manifolds/air intake.

Both left and right magnetos were manually operated with a drill at low rpm through high rpm, both magnetos produced blue/purple spark at all the posts and at every rotation speed. All the spark plugs displayed normal coloration and normal electrodes as compared to the Champion Aerospace AV-27 Check-A-Plug chart.

The fuel injector lines were tested via compressed air into the fuel line coming in from the fuel servo. Fuel was pushed out of cylinder Nos. 1, 3, and 5. No fuel was pushed out of Nos. 2, 4, and 6. There were no obstructions in the engine fuel lines. The No. 5 fuel injector nozzle contained a small amount of debris that did not inhibit the fuel nozzle opening and all other fuel injector nozzles were clear. The engine driven fuel pump was operationally tested with no anomalies noted. The fuel servo was retained for future bench testing.

The fuel selector handle, fuel selector valve/fuel strainer, and fuel selector torque tube were fire damaged and deformed by impact forces and were separated from the airframe. The fuel selector valve was found between the off and left main tank positions, slightly favoring the left tank position. The fuel selector valve/fuel strainer was opened revealing significant carbon and fire damage.

The left wing was mostly consumed by impact and fire. The left wing aileron bellcrank was burned away from the mounting location in the wing. The aileron control cables remained attached to the bellcrank. The aileron balance cable was overload separated mid-cabin. The left side primary aileron cable was cut by emergency personnel about 1-foot from the drive chain. Aileron cable separations not attributed to recovery cuts revealed overload signatures and fire damage. The right wing remained attached to the airframe and remained upright. There was approximately 5 gallons of fuel in the right tank, and it was leaking where it connected to the fuselage. The fuel was tested for water revealing negative results. The flaps were in the 10° position and the landing gear was in the up/retracted position. The right wing aileron was actuated by hand by pulling the aileron cable ends at the wing root. The aileron moved freely in both directions to the stops during this testing. The right side primary aileron cable revealed a cut made by emergency personnel.

Aileron control continuity was confirmed for both wings through flight control cables to the cockpit. The empennage (consisting of the vertical stabilator, trim and rudder) was separated from the airframe and was held in place by the control cables. The pitch trim actuator was indicating a nose down configuration. The rudder, stabilator and stabilator trim control continuity was confirmed.
View Quote

Full report available for download:
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:12:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#13]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:

JWN Tower Audio

View Quote

That was tough to listen to.   Poor guy was panicked.  He knew he was all out of options and in way over his head.    
I did a bit of instructing in Cherokee 6’s and Saratogas, and they glide like a brick.   Simulating engine failure just once, was enough for me to know I’d never want to own one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

That was tough to listen to.   Poor guy was panicked.  He knew he was all out of options and in way over his head.    
I did a bit of instructing in Cherokee 6’s and Saratogas, and they glide like a brick.   Simulating engine failure just once, was enough for me to know I’d never want to own one.
View Quote

The preliminary report from the NTSB made it sound like the pitch trim was still set for cruise, when it hit the ground.  Is the 'best glide' speed on those things ridiculously high?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top