Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2022 1:20:30 PM EDT
Does anyone here suffer from seborrheic dermatitis?  Well, I do and it sucks.

If so, do you have any shampoos for your beard that help?  I use ciclopirox twice a week and it's not helping.  I use coconut oil and it's not helping.  Cortisone and Clobetasol help, but it's only temporary.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
T-gel shampoo keeps my psoriasis on my scalp to non-existent status.
Says it works for what you have to on the bottle.
Here's a link: T-gel
Even the cheaper walmart brand works for me.
Hopefully this works for you, as I know, skin issues suck ass!
Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  I will pick some up today.

And Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't find TGel.  I did find MG217 which is 3% coal tar.  I've been using it for about a week.  No improvement yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some of that in my cabinet too.
It takes a couple weeks for me to start seeing results.
The strong smell kind of grew on me for some reason.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Try changing the anti-fungal shampoo (ciclopirox) to a different one, such as zinc pyrithione, or ketoconazole. DHS Zinc is a good brand. Nizoral-AD is the non-prescription version of ketoconazole shampoo (1%). Seborrheic dermatitis is thought to be related to a yeast that lives on everyone, and clinical improvement has been shown to correlate with decreasing the amount of the yeast.

Keep the ciclopirox shampoo for future use- it’s a good one. After a few months, it will likely be effective again, at least for awhile.

You can also use, usually on a separate day, a coal tar shampoo and/or a salicylic acid shampoo, ie, T/Sal, but neither of those are effective for decreasing the amount of the yeast.

If this advice doesn’t work, time to see, or return to see, a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine stuck around after I shaved.  I'm not sure what eventually cleared it up, but I believe it was when I started showering twice a day.

I think there's a site where you can input your skin product's ingredients and it tells you if it's ok to use.  I'm pretty sure coconut oil is a no go.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for that info.

Since I first posted, I have been using Ciclopirox 2x a week as directed.  I then do 2 or 3 days of Salicylic acid.  And in between the coal tar.  Every once in a while I'll use beard wash and conditioner just to break it up.  I did start puting Ketoconazol cream on it this morning.

It's just one spot under my jawbone about the size of a dime.  I may shave the beard and have a look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top