Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 4:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial]
Got 1.5LB of 80/20 that was on sale, nothing special.  Made into four 6oz Patties and sprinkled with SPG... slightly bigger than 1/3LB.  All formed and setting in the fridge now.  Planning on starting 1/2 a chimney of charcoal and using one coal basket off to the side with a chunk of hickory on top.  Going to try and hold 225F until burger temps hit 130F.   I'm thinking it will take maybe 45min.  Then I'll rest for a few minutes while I add a handful of fresh lump and get it as hot as possible to sear the burgers on each side real quick for a bit of char.  Move off to the side and add cheese to melt.

I think I'll cut an onion up in 1/2" slices, brush with EVOO and salt and smoke/sear those too along side the burgers.

Not sure if I should chill the burgers in the freezer beforehand or not. (?) colder start = more time getting smokey.

How's this sound?  

Is it safe to medium-rare on a smoked burger?  It's a pretty slow cook compared to grilling up a normal med-rare patty in like 10min over fire.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Update...  came out pretty darn good, I think.  My wife didn't really

I ended up using 1/2 chimney chimney of lump charcoal in 1 weber basket all the off to one side and two pieces of hickory on top the coals. It was probably a bit too much as heat was hard to keep under 250F.  I had to almost close the bottom vent and keep the top vent mostly open to vent the heat.  Briquettes probably would have been better for lower/slower portion of the cook.

Took right about 50min to hit 125F and I opened up the vents and let the coals flare up.  Charred up the onions and the burgers a bit  two at a time and then moved them back to the cold side and put the lid back down to let the cheese melt.  My wife likes hers well done, so I just cooked hers longer over the fire at the end.  

Got some really bold smokey flavors.  It was definitely different than a smash burger or a plain grilled burger.  Almost baconish.  In hindsight I think different cheese than american is needed ... it wasn't bad but it even two slices barely peaked through.   A bolder cheese like an aged or sharp cheddar, a swiss/guyere, or a bleu cheese would have been better to counter the bold smoke.  Yeah, a reverse seared smoked burger with bleu cheese crumbles in the mix and topped with some balsamic-tossed greens would be great.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a little smoke box we fill with flavored chip and set on the burners in our gas grill for the smoke flavor . I'll have to try this with burgers next time and see how it taste .
Life it too busy for us right now to mess with charcoal as much as we like that way of cooking better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Got 1.5LB of 80/20 that was on sale, nothing special.  Made into four 6oz Patties and sprinkled with SPG... slightly bigger than 1/3LB.  All formed and setting in the fridge now.  Planning on starting 1/2 a chimney of charcoal and using one coal basket off to the side with a chunk of hickory on top.  Going to try and hold 225F until burger temps hit 130F.   I'm thinking it will take maybe 45min.  Then I'll rest for a few minutes while I add a handful of fresh lump and get it as hot as possible to sear the burgers on each side real quick for a bit of char.  Move off to the side and add cheese to melt.

I think I'll cut an onion up in 1/2" slices, brush with EVOO and salt and smoke/sear those too along side the burgers.

Not sure if I should chill the burgers in the freezer beforehand or not. (?) colder start = more time getting smokey.

How's this sound?  

Is it safe to medium-rare on a smoked burger?  It's a pretty slow cook compared to grilling up a normal med-rare patty in like 10min over fire.

View Quote

Sounds good to me, when should I come over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top