Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/23/2024 1:41:47 PM EDT
The coronavirus pandemic upended office traditions around the world, making working from home the new normal and Zoom meetings the favored way to catch up with colleagues and clients. But millennials, often bashed by their elders as being workshy, are keen for more reforms to the work-life balance, with new polling showing the generation is considerably in favor of adopting a four-day working week.

The concept of the four-day working week is simple: employees work a day less than the standard five, which works out as 32 work hours instead of 40. Workers still have to complete the same amount of work in 80 percent of the time, while in many cases still taking home their full compensation package. Numerous major companies have introduced a reduced week either every week or just some weeks, including Kickstarter, Bolt and Dolby.

The idea is certainly gaining momentum. Bernie Sanders, chair of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, has pushed for four-day weeks in Congress. "The sad reality is, Americans now work more hours than the people of most other wealthy nations. And we're going to talk about what that means to the lives of ordinary people," he told lawmakers at a health committee hearing in March.

"In 2022, employees in the U.S., and I hope people hear this, logged 204 more hours a year than employees in Japan, and they're hardworking people in Japan. 279 more hours than workers in the United Kingdom, and 470 more hours than workers in Germany." Newsweek has contacted Sanders via email for comment and clarification on these figures.

Outside of the Capitol, numerous companies and non-profits dedicated to revolutionizing the way we work are becoming more and more notable. Several trials have been run in the U.S., U.K. and Europe to explore the potential benefits of relaxing more and working less. And it seems the younger generations are keen to capitalize on this growing trend.

why wood millennials do this?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#1]
I just moved my group to 4/10s here and love it.   Granted we still pick up the phone one weekends if need be, but every Fri off is nice.

But that's 40 not 32.   :shrug:
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, fuck people for wanting to make more money in less time, or wanting to have more time for their actual life outside of work
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I would love to do 4/10. I wish they'd let us do this during summer. The admins usually have the option, but we don't. But 40 hours a week is too much? Bwaha!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I loved my 9/80 work schedules. Doing a 4/10 would be ok with me.

I'm so burnt out right now in my career 2 days off is barely enough time for me to get my brain out of the void it's in to even attempt to be productive. Having that 3rd day would really increase the amount of shit I could do around the house or just generally do things like go to the range a little extra, hike, etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
sounds like some more of those non-essential jobs...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crownvic96:

I'm so burnt out right now in my career 2 days off is barely enough time for me to get my brain out of the void it's in to even attempt to be productive. Having that 3rd day would really increase the amount of shit I could do around the house or just generally do things like go to the range a little extra, hike, etc.
View Quote
yeah 9/80 isn't bad either..and I thought about it.   But 4/10's made more sense and lets my group get some fat OT on Fri/Sat/Sun if we're needed.     Boosted the hell out of morale.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Yeah, fuck people for wanting to make more money in less time, or wanting to have more time for their actual life outside of work
View Quote

you'll have the "proud to work myself to death" types along soon enough

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually go back to work tomorrow for the first day since Easter, so maybe I'm not one to bash anyone!

If the same amount of work can get done in 80 percent of the time, and the employees and employers agree to it, then hell yeah, work less! But if it's just simply because full time is too much, and productivity drops by 20 or more percent, then it's pretty lame.

Can't fault anyone for wanting to live more and work less
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
office traditions?  do what works
Too much of the office tradition is non productive, disruptive, or just non value added routine.

A lot of people like to play office and see their strengths or best hopes of success in the office play bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
sounds like some more of those non-essential jobs...
View Quote

If you can do it from home then it can be do e from india...

...amiright?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I already work 9-10 hours, 5 days a week. 9-10 hours 4 days a week sounds great!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd work 4 12's to get three days off...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The government should lead from the front on this if it’s such a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
4 days would be nice
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
View Quote

Federal holidays
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#18]
If they can get the same amount of work done in less time then  IMO, they've earned the time off.

As long as the quality of work doesn't slip I sure don't see a problem with it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Prae:
yeah 9/80 isn't bad either..and I thought about it.   But 4/10's made more sense and lets my group get some fat OT on Fri/Sat/Sun if we're needed.     Boosted the hell out of morale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prae:

I previously did 9/80 at another firm and it was nice when the workload lined up with it.

Current place generally observes “traditional” hours and the timekeeping doesn’t really make a 9/80 feasible. Could do 4/10 but no one else observes it so it makes it basically useless. They’re quite flexible on hours and location when appropriate though, so it’s kinda a wash.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I was working for a contractor at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.  The contractor was from Pennsylvania.

We would do 4, 10’s, straight time.  That way every other weekend was a 4 day weekend.  The other weekends were just your normal Saturday and Sunday off.  That way on the 4 day weekends, the guys from Pennsylvania could drive back home.  Then they had time to drive back to Missouri.

It was an awesome  schedule.  I loved it!  

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Been doing 4/10 for ten years now and love!!!! Traveling sucks when we have to but 4/10 make it easier.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell I'm ready for a three day week!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't get it. Back in the early '90's we had 4 day work weeks at the plant I was working at. NBD. 4 x 10 and good to go.

Everybody thinks they've invented some thing new and exciting when it's really just a re-hash of a known procedure.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#25]
ya, this is nothing new folks.  

at least they are working....
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Last job had 9/80's.  It was great.  Always sucked trying to take off from work to get the car serviced or teeth cleaned.  Good way to tackle that while not shutting the whole office down as our pair had the opposite schedule so there was always coverage.

Maybe its getting older but 2 days off isn't enough.  I have maybe1 day to do something fun and 1 day packed full of chores and then its back to the grind just as tired as when I entered the time off lol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

lol,  they do
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#28]
Self employed. Last time I worked for someone else the work was 4 days of 9 hour work and a 4 hour day on Friday. Of course we supported an industry that was every day of the year. Wasn't bad, I lived 5 minutes from the office.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#29]
We work 3x12s with 4 shifts. When things were busy we rotated Sundays and got 48h every other week.

Eh, the days off are awesome, but at the same time I have no free time on my work days (unless I forfeit sleep) so I guess it's a trade off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ShiftSix:

Last job had 9/80's.  It was great.  Always sucked trying to take off from work to get the car serviced or teeth cleaned.  Good way to tackle that while not shutting the whole office down as our pair had the opposite schedule so there was always coverage.  

Maybe its getting older but 2 days off isn't enough.  I have maybe1 day to do something fun and 1 day packed full of chores and then its back to the grind just as tired as when I entered the time off lol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ShiftSix:

Yep. First 9/80 schedule I had I was in a directbill position and finishing my bachleors. That 3rd day every other week was sorely needed to get caught up on laundry/dishes/errands since my weekends were just school.

Now i'm BD/Capture/B&P so it's a little tougher to do 9/80 or even 4/10 since if someone needs something or a proposal is live i'm working regardless but it would be nice to have, in theory.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

lol,  they do
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

lol,  they do

Still gotta show up most places.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I gotta find time to eat my A-toast!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#33]
If 4 days will work, why not 3 days at same pay? Maybe one (1) hyper- productive day???
Everything gets done so well already. I mean getting appointments are practically no wait, trade people show up within 1 hour of a call and doctors don't need to be available off hour or Fridays.

Honestly, the market and labor supply should determine these issues.  If you can find a job that will pay you to work three days a week and it meets your needs - good!  

The truth is a certain amount of work is out there that will need to get done.  Yes, unfortunately even you might need somebody to go to work and fix your car or perform a bypass of your heart.  (Or am I to assume that these jobs are for other suckers who have to work regular hours.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#35]
4/10 is the best thing about my job. Every F/S/Sun off. Extra time with my kids. Easier to make appointments and get shit done without having to call off on work days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Four tens was legit
Four 32s doesn’t sound feasible in the US
Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#37]
That'll work out great for those folks who usually only crank out about eight hours' worth of work in a 40 hour week anyway.  

Actually a lot of places could probably pull this off if they'd deschedule all but critical meetings, ban intra-office chit-chat, and prohibit snack days, weird dress-up days and such.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#38]
What, people don’t want to be a slave for their job and actually want to spend time not working ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#39]
The best work schedule I ever had by far was a “rolling 4-10 s “ . 4 days on , 4 days off . Overtime still paid on Sat , Sun , and holidays . Big construction job building STP nuclear plant near Bay City Texas back in 80’s -90’s .
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#40]
If millennials are so lazy that they can't even handle a simple 9-5 schedule, then they definitely couldn't handle working as a first responder or in the medical field.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll gladly work four 10s, Shit I'd work three 14s if I could. Problem is my clients expect me to be available at a minimum Monday through Friday, and if there is a real emergency they expect the weekend as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The coronavirus pandemic upended office traditions around the world, making working from home the new normal and Zoom meetings the favored way to catch up with colleagues and clients. But millennials, often bashed by their elders as being workshy, are keen for more reforms to the work-life balance, with new polling showing the generation is considerably in favor of adopting a four-day working week.

The concept of the four-day working week is simple: employees work a day less than the standard five, which works out as 32 work hours instead of 40. Workers still have to complete the same amount of work in 80 percent of the time, while in many cases still taking home their full compensation package. Numerous major companies have introduced a reduced week either every week or just some weeks, including Kickstarter, Bolt and Dolby.

The idea is certainly gaining momentum. Bernie Sanders, chair of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, has pushed for four-day weeks in Congress. "The sad reality is, Americans now work more hours than the people of most other wealthy nations. And we're going to talk about what that means to the lives of ordinary people," he told lawmakers at a health committee hearing in March.

"In 2022, employees in the U.S., and I hope people hear this, logged 204 more hours a year than employees in Japan, and they're hardworking people in Japan. 279 more hours than workers in the United Kingdom, and 470 more hours than workers in Germany." Newsweek has contacted Sanders via email for comment and clarification on these figures.

Outside of the Capitol, numerous companies and non-profits dedicated to revolutionizing the way we work are becoming more and more notable. Several trials have been run in the U.S., U.K. and Europe to explore the potential benefits of relaxing more and working less. And it seems the younger generations are keen to capitalize on this growing trend.

why wood millennials do this?
View Quote

Anything Bernie Sanders supports is an immediate non-starter or me. Fuck that Seinfeld caricature of a self-loathing old Jew sending back soup in a deli. Let him sit in Prospect Park dreaming of his 1980’s Moscow honeymoon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve been doing four 10s for several years at this point, it’s drastically superior to five 8s.

Five days really is too many for a good work/life balance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Even really good jobs that require weeks on a ship at a time are being threatened.  Too hard, too long The jobs in question were cable repair jobs on ships.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#45]
it's also provably optimal. 30 hour weeks are more productive than 40. not just time/task, just simply total tasks it's more optimal. the thinking was that if you knew you'd have to slog for 40, you'd put things off you'd otherwise get done with 30. multiple studies across multiple countries and multiple jobs.

the other direction is pretty dire as well. there are 50+ hours weeks as a culture in japan, where everyone stays so that they appear to be 'working hard'. almost nothing gets done there and their economy is also suffering.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#46]
A 9/80 schedule is the best compromise (ie 9 hours Mon-Thurs, 8 hours one Fri, off second Fri) you get one weekday off to do your personal stuff or just recharge and dick around without your wife and kids bothering you before the weekend.

4/10s (10hr Mon-Thru, off every Fri) sucks fucking ass by the end of the day and forget trying to go to any activities with the kids.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#47]
4/10s sounds good.

That leaves people 128hours a week to do what they want.

Plus less driving etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By pavami:

it's also provably optimal. 30 hour weeks are more productive than 40. not just time/task, just simply total tasks it's more optimal. the thinking was that if you knew you'd have to slog for 40, you'd put things off you'd otherwise get done with 30. multiple studies across multiple countries and multiple jobs.

the other direction is pretty dire as well. there are 50+ hours weeks as a culture in japan, where everyone stays so that they appear to be 'working hard'. almost nothing gets done there and their economy is also suffering.
View Quote

Citation needed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Id love a 4/10 schedule.

Took last Friday off and the extra day helps the reset so much more for another week of work being understaffed and underpaid
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I’ve been on 4/10 and 9/80 schedules most of my career. It can be done. It requires discipline from leadership and employees. There has to be a realization that important stuff does happen on Fridays and may require additional effort.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top