Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 12:24:41 AM EDT
Obviously because Dune 2 is about to be released.

I have commented on it before.

Overall, very happy with it.

Again,
Jessica comes off as so weak in this…
Not at all my take on the character.  In a woke world - why was she not stronger?

Why is the Thufir actor such a turd?  Some morbidly obese diabetic is not right for the character.

WTF with Liet-Kynes?  This is more of an Obi Wan, etc. type actor role.  You want black for the role, give me Morgan Freeman or something.  You blew the stronk female you already with Jessica, don’t F over the old wise guy with some 45 year old chick.  I don’t give a crap about white, Asian, Persian, Sephardic, black, etc.  but get the damn vibe and gender role right.

There is some overall loss of tension with Jessica beloved concubine vs hidden agenda witch, the sheer near impossibility of a doctor being the traitor, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, overall happy with it.   But I hate the “off” portions.  

I really identified with Dune as a child, adolescent, and young adult.  I was luck to be pretty smart.  In aggregate, about 3 sd above the mean.  While general intelligence and working memory about 2sd above the mean, and processing speed about 3sd above the mean, pattern recc was about 5.  Which leads to some pretty strong predictive ability and “seeing” several alternate near “futures”-
And reading the novel fascinated me as a child.

Any taneishmwnt or offness in an adaptation rubs me wrong more than it should.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

Again,
Jessica comes off as so weak in this
Not at all my take on the character.  In a woke world - why was she not stronger?

Why is the Thufir actor such a turd?  Some morbidly obese diabetic is not right for the character.

WTF with Liet-Kynes?  This is more of an Obi Wan, etc. type actor role.  You want black for the role, give me Morgan Freeman or something.  You blew the stronk female you already with Jessica, don't F over the old wise guy with some 45 year old chick.  I don't give a crap about white, Asian, Persian, Sephardic, black, etc.  but get the damn vibe and gender role right.

There is some overall loss of tension with Jessica beloved concubine vs hidden agenda witch, the sheer near impossibility of a doctor being the traitor, etc.

Don't get me wrong, overall happy with it.   But I hate the "off" portions.  
View Quote
I agree with all of the above
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Again,

WTF with Liet-Kynes?  This is more of an Obi Wan, etc. type actor role.  You want black for the role, give me Morgan Freeman or something.  You blew the stronk female you already with Jessica, don’t F over the old wise guy with some 45 year old chick.  I don’t give a crap about white, Asian, Persian, Sephardic, black, etc.  but get the damn vibe and gender role right.

I really identified with Dune as a child, adolescent, and young adult.  I was luck to be pretty smart.  In aggregate, about 3 sd above the mean.  While general intelligence and working memory about 2sd above the mean, and processing speed about 3sd above the mean, pattern recc was about 5.  Which leads to some pretty strong predictive ability and “seeing” several alternate near “futures”-

View Quote

Never understood the Atreides infatuation with Thufir... The dude fails them over, and over, and over, and over... If you read the books, its one failure after another... culminating in this one, and his eventual service to the Baron.

I get the doctors betrayal... But Thufir was always a turd in the story...
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BDA:

Never understood the Atreides infatuation with Thufir... The dude fails them over, and over, and over, and over... If you read the books, its one failure after another... culminating in this one, and his eventual service to the Baron.

View Quote

Yes.
But…
Think of him as an NFL quarterback.
That never makes it to the Super Bowl.

He’s still am NFL quarterback.
Not some dude that peaked in Hs football in bumfuck Texas.
Give us Denzel, the fresh Prince, RD, jr., Ben Affleck, Tom selleck, or whatever in the role.
Or some unknown that can convey high quality that was outclassed by even better, or whatever.
The role/actor in this movie just conveys shitbag.
We need someone that can convey I was a HS superstar, crushed it as D1, but as quarterback for the Cleveland browns I am up against the Steelers and Patriots and getting my shit pushed in by Bradshaw and Brady.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Yes.
But…

Give us Denzel, the fresh Prince, RD, jr., Ben Affleck, Tom selleck, or whatever in the role.
Or some unknown that can convey high quality that was outclassed by even better, or whatever.
We need someone that can convey I was a HS superstar, crushed it as D1, but as quarterback for the Cleveland browns I am up against the Steelers and Patriots and getting my shit pushed in by Bradshaw and Brady.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BDA:

Yes.
But…

House Atreides was living in the shadow of the old Duke.  Hawat was a remnant of that era, serving beyond his effectiveness.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched Dune Part 2 last night. If ya'll haven't seen it yet, do so at your earliest convenience. It's worth springing for IMAX.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I just caught a showing today.

I loved the cinematography, the score, the battles, the details of writing, carvings, effects, etc.

These two movies really brought the world alive in a manner that has not been done before.

But…
The whole Chani not beingKyne’s daughter
, all anti offworlder, spiteful to Paul, etc. was really off putting.  Not the love story, sacrifice, going along 100% knowing he is doing what he has to do for humanity instead of love, etc. just rubbed the story the wrong way.

And we really lose something with the compressed timeline.  Paul’s sister is born.  Paul and Chani have a child together that is murdered as an infant in a raid.  Off the top of my head, if the Atredies head for Dune in January 2024, they get betrayed/attacked around now,  they spend spring and summer with the Fremen, his sister is born in the fall, Paul’s son in the winter, two years or so of fighting go by,  he has his duel, makes the emperor his bitch, and the houses/guilds are like-
Yep, we don’t get any spice unless we go along with this- so OK.  Not some new straight to war thing.

We all get Paul is not some glorious hero that will not be instilling the galaxy with love, harmony, and unicorn sparkles.  Sure, he is going to be as brutal as a galactic Hitler.  Not from madness, a list for power, or evilness.   But because that’s how the human race survives.

His mother was also painted on the evil side.

At almost five hours for the two movies, slightly more than even the directors cut version of theminiseries, -
I’m going to get flamed for this- because although the mini series is inferior in almost every other way-
It did portray the novel much better to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:56:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Again,

View Quote

I thought it was pretty good.  And yes, Liet-Kynes was obviously forced for the required check-box.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I just caught a showing today.

I loved the cinematography, the score, the battles, the details of writing, carvings, effects, etc.

These two movies really brought the world alive in a manner that has not been done before.

But…
The whole Chani not beingKyne’s daughter
, all anti offworlder, spiteful to Paul, etc. was really off putting.  Not the love story, sacrifice, going along 100% knowing he is doing what he has to do for humanity instead of love, etc. just rubbed the story the wrong way.

And we really lose something with the compressed timeline.  Paul’s sister is born.  Paul and Chani have a child together that is murdered as an infant in a raid.  Off the top of my head, if the Atredies head for Dune in January 2024, they get betrayed/attacked around now,  they spend spring and summer with the Fremen, his sister is born in the fall, Paul’s son in the winter, two years or so of fighting go by,  he has his duel, makes the emperor his bitch, and the houses/guilds are like-
Yep, we don’t get any spice unless we go along with this- so OK.  Not some new straight to war thing.

We all get Paul is not some glorious hero that will not be instilling the galaxy with love, harmony, and unicorn sparkles.  Sure, he is going to be as brutal as a galactic Hitler.  Not from madness, a list for power, or evilness.   But because that’s how the human race survives.

His mother was also painted on the evil side.

At almost five hours for the two movies, slightly more than even the directors cut version of theminiseries, -
I’m going to get flamed for this- because although the mini series is inferior in almost every other way-
It did portray the novel much better to me.
View Quote

I don't understand the route they went with Chani in this movie.  Were they trying to make her a "boss bitch"?  Every other Fremen believes in Paul and follows him.  She is in love with him, but still doesn't trust him?  WTF?

Why did they act like the Harkonnens got spice production back to normal? If that is so, why did the Emperor come to Dune?  It's been a while since I read the book, so I could be wrong here, but I thought he came because things were too screwed up on Dune and the spice was not flowing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By craig19:

I don't understand the route they went with Chani in this movie.  Were they trying to make her a "boss bitch"?  Every other Fremen believes in Paul and follows him.  She is in love with him, but still doesn't trust him?  WTF?
- I dont think it was the "boss bitch" thing.  They made it clear that she and her faction weren't zealots like some of the others, so it makes sense for her to be a little skeptical... especially because she was so close to him and knew him from before he was their massiah.  They also portrayed her as feeling betrayed.

Why did they act like the Harkonnens got spice production back to normal? If that is so, why did the Emperor come to Dune?  It's been a while since I read the book, so I could be wrong here, but I thought he came because things were too screwed up on Dune and the spice was not flowing.
- When Paul sent his message, it verified that he had pretty damning evidenc that could have greatly shaken the Emperors position amoung the other houses (IE:  he conspired to murder a prominant house and now there was unanticipated evidence).  Thus, he came out to try to handle Paul as well as deal with the Harkonens (the parties to the conspiracy who screwed up).  Then, while the Emperor was handling the Harkonens (the low hanging fruit) Paul ambushed them.
View Quote

I'm solely going off my impressions on the movie, not what was written into the books.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By craig19:

View Quote

There are some interviews with the director where he wanted characters to “represent” certain historical trends, not the characters they were in the book.

So Stilgar becomes “fanatic religious people”

Chani becomes “anti-colonialism” , “nonsectarian”, “antifacism”

And, while I still don’t understand what went on the the mother in the first movie, in the second movie she becomes “evil colonialism personified” and “devious plotting religious figure/church”

Or something along those lines.

It kind of destroys some of the characterization and relationships and makes the movie worse in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top