BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 64
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Just finished Alas Babylon and currently reading Return of the Gods. Empire of the Summer Moon is next on the list. Stocking up on reading material for the winter months.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Going infinite by Michael Lewis.

Solid look into the mess that is FTX and crypto
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
My man Jeeves
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Rock of Anzio about the Thunderbirds, the 45th Infantry Div.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In Defense of the Second Amendment by Larry Correia
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Born to Run
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Put down Rock of Anzio and finished The Road to Innsbruck and Back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ringworld
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Finished Rock of Anzio and now Dance of Death.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 7:28:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ellieellie] [#12]
Despite my limited time for reading lately, I've made it a point to spend a few minutes every morning with a valuable resource: "SELF-DISCIPLINE: Self-Discipline for Personal Power Subconscious Morning Re-Programming Script" by Daniel Ben Abraham. You can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1961755017?tag=arfcom00-20. This book operates like self-control hypnosis, effectively aiding me in enhancing my productivity.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The Civil War by Shelby Foote
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Just started “The Last Kingdom” series.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I just finished "Freedoms Forge" by Arthur Herman.

It's a history of how American manufacturers, businessmen, and the auto industry armed the world in WWII.
Hamstrung by bureaucrats and New Dealers who hated business and thought that the answer to all things was bigger government.  (Sound familiar?) industry built a military juggernaut that drowned the Axis in a literal flood of military goods, even while a significant part of the economy was still producing civilian goods.
It's especially how the auto industry and wildcat businessmen like Henry Kaiser, General Motors, Andrew Higgins, and a huge cast of people armed us to the teeth in spite of interference by government and the military.

It's popular among enemies, and some friends to claim the only reason we won was the mass production of military equipment.
The fact is the young American troops and our generals and admirals out thought and out fought the enemy on all fronts.

Unlike a lot of histories, this is is actually exciting and never boring story with some truly memorable and largely forgotten people.
This is not an accident.  The bitter New Dealers re-wrote the history after the war to insure THEY got the credit even thought they largely interfered and hamstrung the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X0JG48?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:

It's a history of how American manufacturers, businessmen, and the auto industry armed the world in WWII.
Hamstrung by bureaucrats and New Dealers who hated business and thought that the answer to all things was bigger government.  (Sound familiar?) industry built a military juggernaut that drowned the Axis in a literal flood of military goods, even while a significant part of the economy was still producing civilian goods.
It's especially how the auto industry and wildcat businessmen like Henry Kaiser, General Motors, Andrew Higgins, and a huge cast of people armed us to the teeth in spite of interference by government and the military.

It's popular among enemies, and some friends to claim the only reason we won was the mass production of military equipment.
The fact is the young American troops and our generals and admirals out thought and out fought the enemy on all fronts.

Unlike a lot of histories, this is is actually exciting and never boring story with some truly memorable and largely forgotten people.
This is not an accident.  The bitter New Dealers re-wrote the history after the war to insure THEY got the credit even thought they largely interfered and hamstrung the effort.

View Quote

Based on your post, I will get this.
My dad will enjoy it too.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

There's a History Channel series on YouTube called War Factories that is pretty interesting.  Covers factories from a few countries during WWII.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Very interesting, I will check it out.

In a similar line I would highly recommend The Quartermaster, the Civil War book about the Union supply chief Montgomery Meigs.  Very readable and a lot of good insight.

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Still reading 1776 by David McCullough

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Just finished a fellow Arfcommer's book "Tales of the Crazy" by Charles Cole.
Starting "Code Name: Copperhead" by SgtMaj Joe Garner
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I've read Low Level Hell.   I have a whole bookcase full of military non-fiction.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tiempos_Peligrosos:

View Quote
There's an avatar I haven't seen in quite awhile.   Hope something didn't happen to him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Just finished " A voyage long and strange" by Horwitz.
Early expeditions in N. AMERICA BY europeans.
Those Spanish  Conquistadors covered thousands of miles in the early 16th Century
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Magyars:
Just finished " A voyage long and strange" by Horwitz.
Early expeditions in N. AMERICA BY europeans.
Those Spanish  Conquistadors covered thousands of miles in the early 16th Century
View Quote

There is someone on Twitter getting ready to republish one of the long-lost diaries of Spanish Conquistadores exploring up the Amazon.  He's been posting some highlights.  I can't find it now but will keep an eye out (foreshadowing!)
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
There's an avatar I haven't seen in quite awhile.   Hope something didn't happen to him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Unfortunately, I think he's no longer with us.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/What-do-you-do-with-old-books-/153-2616263/

@Jodan1776
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kanin:
Still reading 1776 by David McCullough

View Quote

@Kanin

How do you like it? Is it historical-chronologically focused or does it also dive into into individual conflicts with written passages dedicated to them for more than a paragraph?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:38:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#29]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
@Jodan1776
View All Quotes
@Jodan1776
Sorry to hear of it.   We also recently lost the guy with the smiling Russian woman soldier avatar, and he was only 55, IIRC

ETA:
looked him up - Apocalypto - David Carroll Miller
September 10, 1968  -  October 5, 2023
https://www.atchleyfuneralhome.com/obituaries/David-Carroll-Miller?obId=29407441

I guess no one here knew Tiempos_Peligrosos' real name

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 12:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#30]
Berlin Diary - William Shirer

Woke, Inc.. - Viveck R.

As some appropriately wintry weather finally starts, will get back into:

The Land of the Midnight Sun (1881).
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry to hear of it.   We also recently lost the guy with the smiling Russian woman soldier avatar, and he was only 55, IIRC

ETA:
https://www.atchleyfuneralhome.com/obituaries/David-Carroll-Miller?obId=29407441

View All Quotes
@Jodan1776

ETA:

I got along well with Apocalypto. I hope he rests easy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By strider98:
The Civil War by Shelby Foote
View Quote

Finally finished vol 1 and started vol 2
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The Death of Ivan Ilyich and other short stories by Tolstoy
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Blackie:
View Quote

It was this years ago. It’s a fantastic read.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Air Apaches , it’s about the 345th bomb group in the Pacific
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#36]
Just finished The Scarlet Plague, a short book by Jack London.  I had to look it up to see when it was written, to see if he or George Stewart of Earth Abides was the plagiarist...  It's probably Stewart since London's was publichsed in 1912 and reprinted in February 1949, when Earth Abides was published in 1949 too, unknown month...  Similar main character who are the last living person from before the fall, similar setting, similar conclusions on the descent to barbarism as the main character struggles against it...

Reading reviews it looks like I need to read Mary Shelle's The Last Man to track back the postapoc starting story.

But anyways, Earth Abides is a much better story, but Scarlet Plague is worth the quick read.  Poignant passages of the guy's friends dying around him, I always enjoy London's writing.  However I feel London was much too aggressive in the removal of the modern world, although he did assume a large firestorm striking the big cities.  The character is essentially doing wilderness survival from day 1.  Due to the lack of resources, the main character did not explore much at all, and from the Bay Area they had only visited LA and had people come in from Utah, where they couldn't survive.   Then it is set only 60 years after the fall, there would still be plenty of usable stuff around for the 0.001% of surviving population.  Guns at least, and the bigger building shells.  They apparently had a blacksmithy but the guy dies without passing on the craft, and they could brew beer.  But other than that they were wearing skins, not washing, and throwing rocks.  So that was quite off for me.   Earth Abides felt much more right in all these areas.  But it is a longer book so it had more time to flesh things out.

Jack London's non-famous catalog like this are generally recommended.  I really enjoyed his early books on the South Seas.  Probably very wrongthink now though  Available on Gutenberg the last I checked.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SandhillsHunter:
Just finished Alas Babylon and currently reading Return of the Gods. Empire of the Summer Moon is next on the list. Stocking up on reading material for the winter months.
View Quote

Empire of the summer moon is an excellent  book
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Any recommendations for a good book on the War of 1812?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Berlin Diary 1934 - 1941 - William Shirer
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Twenty-two on Peleliu by George Peto with Marter Margaritis.  Peto is assigned to the First Marine Division after it finished its fighting on Guadacanal went to Australia.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Gavin At War: The World War II Diary of Lieutenant General James M. Gavin
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Put Gavin's book down for George Wagner's Voyage to War.  Wagner was a mortarman in Co. C, 28th Infantry Regiment, 8th ID that fought in the ETO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Appreciate the suggestion, I’m halfway through and really enjoying it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Abaddon’s Gate and Millennium.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Mile-High Missionary: A Jungle Pilot's Memoir by James Manley

Pilot story of how he ended up flying in the Ecuadorian jungle for MAF.  Not a preachy book, a bit on the technical side sometimes, pretty interesting book.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#48]
The Boys.
Ron and Clint Howard's autobiography. Lots of insight on how Ron learned his craft and how Hollywood worked.
He was a nerd.
Clint was a hellion and completely overshadowed by his big brother. He has an amazing list of credits too, though.
Their dad, Rance, had more credits than I ever imagined also. I always thought he was just a stage dad for the boys.
Writer, producer, actor, . . .
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Currently on No Way Out by T.L. Payne
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Blackie:
View Quote

+1000
Page / 64