Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:39 PM EDT
Any great ideas? I have a new leather IWB holster that's a bit on the stiff side. I know that wearing it constantly will break it in eventually, but does anyone have an idea about how to speed up the process? Neatsfoot oil? Plain H2O?

Lots of leather websites out there...what works for you?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice dinner and a bottle of wine?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#2]
Spray the inside real good with DRY silicon lubricant.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Jojoba oil, soften leather up and restores it. Use it all the time restoring old Galco Jackass holsters.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:
Spray the inside real good with dry silicon lubricant.
View Quote

Correct!

OP, DO NOT use oil or other softeners.  This will destroy the retention.  Wear the holster, let it break in.

The silicone on the inside will allow a smoother drraw without screwing up the retention.

This is assuming it's a quality holster made by a good leathersmith.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By davekd7ds:
Any great ideas? I have a new leather IWB holster that's a bit on the stiff side. I know that wearing it constantly will break it in eventually, but does anyone have an idea about how to speed up the process? Neatsfoot oil? Plain H2O?

Lots of leather websites out there...what works for you?

Thanks in advance...
View Quote

White shaving cream seems to work well on baseball gloves.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't over-do it.  There is no un-softening it.  I use Obenauf's Leather Conditioner, but only a tiny amount and only in the few specific places where it is tight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Time.

It's about the only real way to get leather anything to break in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
"Softening up" a holster is a stupid idea.  You want to break in a quality holster gently to the point it holds retention yet the draw is smooth.  Once you go too far the holster is junk.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Place pistol in a plastic lunch bag,. Slip bag with gun in holster. Let it sit for a day or two…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I always used Mitch Rosen’s Leather Lightning.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Equal parts taint grease and morning urine every day between the new moon and full moon.
Then purify it with sage smoke.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Works on my boots, belt and holster:

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DJLTX:
Place pistol in a plastic lunch bag,. Slip bag with gun in holster. Let it sit for a day or two…
View Quote

This. Most likely there is a card that came with the holster telling you to do this too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Whose the holster maker?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
You don’t want to soften a leather holster.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
Nice dinner and a bottle of wine?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

This. Most likely there is a card that came with the holster telling you to do this too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep.  Card came with my Versa Max 2 advising me that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
What kind of leather? Chrome or veg?

Effax or lexol for most Smith leather. Albinon LLB if you're feeling fancy.

Work it in worth your hands, the warmth helps the conditioner spread and it's not bad for your skin either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Softening leather is for belts and boots.  Don't do it to a holster.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont it will fuck up retention and increase the chance of it getting snagged in the trigger guard when reholstering
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
Don't over-do it.  There is no un-softening it.  I use Obenauf's Leather Conditioner, but only a tiny amount and only in the few specific places where it is tight.
View Quote
I use the LP Paste.  Damn good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Start by rubbing it with water, because water is free. Then toss that thing in the garbage and buy some kydex.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
You don’t want to soften a leather holster.
View Quote

Exactly, Sir. Doing so ruins it for retention, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By adversor:
Start by rubbing it with water, because water is free. Then toss that thing in the garbage and buy some kydex.
View Quote

Ewe
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a Brommeland holster for my G23 back in the mid 90s. Brand new, that thing was tough to draw from.

Wrapped my G23 in wax paper, holstered the pistol, and let it sit for a few days. Still have that holster
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:54:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTX] [#26]
Man up and tough it out is what works best. I don't have any trouble with IWB leather against my bare naked skin. Maybe you should wear granny panties until it softens up, princess?

Or....try a soft leather from Muddy River Tactical. Nothing fancy, but really comfortable from day one.

The only thing he does wrong is the belt clip. It's really thin and doesn't work well with thicker belts or with any type of gun belt with jeans. Now he tells you to get the tuckable if you wear thick belts. Who doesn't wear a thick belt and/or jeans? He could have spent an extra 30 or 40 cents to upgrade the clip, so not sure why that hasn't been done yet. But, the holster isn't expensive and it does feel good from day one.

Edit: Muddy River leather linky
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#28]
This will do nothing to soften a holster, but will dramatically help smooth draw:

Wrap the firearm in wax paper.  Insert in holster.  Draw/insert/draw/insert/...    it ever so slightly waxes the rough interior of the holster, provides a modest lubrication and permits easy drawing without breaking the structure of the holster.  

Your mileage may vary

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
This will do nothing to soften a holster, but will dramatically help smooth draw:

Wrap the firearm in wax paper.  Insert in holster.  Draw/insert/draw/insert/...    it ever so slightly waxes the rough interior of the holster, provides a modest lubrication and permits easy drawing without breaking the structure of the holster.  

Your mileage may vary

View Quote

This is what dry silicon spray does, without having to fool with bags or wax paper.  Spray it in the holster, let it dry for a few minutes, and you're done.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Stiffness is good. Attempts to accelerate breaking in will result in a floppy holster so I’d go easy. Just wear it. You can put moleskin on the inside that touches your skin if there is a chafing issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#31]
You don't want to soften up a leather holster too much
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Just wear it...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: goodguy2021] [#33]
Originally Posted By Newnimprovedusername:
View Quote

Also my go-to. Anybody that recommends softening a holster should be publicly ridiculed. And punched in the neck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By pedaler:
Just wear it...
View Quote

That's what I did. After a couple weeks, it's about perfect for me. It's still got some stiffness to it, but it's also softened up just a bit. Mine has a thumb break, too. And that thing was very hard to get snapped when I first got it. But after about a week, it loosened up and now it's pretty easy to snap 1-handed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By goodguy2021:

Also my go-to. Anybody that recommends softening a holster should be publicly ridiculed. And punched in the neck.
View Quote
My LGS has a couple huge bins full of used holsters.  All the leather ones are suspiciously soft.  I suspect people got after them with the Neat's oil of course.  I don't know why people do this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
"Softening up" a holster is a stupid idea.  You want to break in a quality holster gently to the point it holds retention yet the draw is smooth.  Once you go too far the holster is junk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Newnimprovedusername:
View Quote

Same, but several of the holster makers sell products for this purpose; use as per the directions but it's usually recommended to put a very light coat on the inside to help slick the leather for the draw.  There are a couple of other recommendations depending on the maker (there are some professionals on leatherworker.net who use various products depending on what they're doing; there is a holster specific forum).  Use a very small amount of saddle soap to clean the outside if needed.  Otherwise just wear it in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the ideas...I guess I'm just not used to IWB carry! My P365 usually just goes in a pocket, but that's becoming a situation where wear and tear on the clothing isn't worth it.

I live in the middle of the desert, in one of the hottest places on the planet. Summertime attire consists of a sleeveless t-shirt and "jorts" (no understanding of the hate for "jorts" here, but I love my Wrangler carpenter-cuts...been wearing them for 30+ years).

My main gripe is comfort. I'm not used to having that holster crammed inside my waistband. I use Kydex OWB for my winter carry (Glock 17) or a shoulder rig for the 1911 when the weather is cool enough to wear a jacket (not too often!).

I suppose I'll just have to adjust and adapt. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By davekd7ds:
Thanks for all the ideas...I guess I'm just not used to IWB carry! My P365 usually just goes in a pocket, but that's becoming a situation where wear and tear on the clothing isn't worth it.

I live in the middle of the desert, in one of the hottest places on the planet. Summertime attire consists of a sleeveless t-shirt and "jorts" (no understanding of the hate for "jorts" here, but I love my Wrangler carpenter-cuts...been wearing them for 30+ years).

My main gripe is comfort. I'm not used to having that holster crammed inside my waistband. I use Kydex OWB for my winter carry (Glock 17) or a shoulder rig for the 1911 when the weather is cool enough to wear a jacket (not too often!).

I suppose I'll just have to adjust and adapt. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!
View Quote

It's a different feel and takes a little fiddling to find the exact right spot for your waistline and clothing.

Angle between the butt of gun and your abs makes a huge difference in comfort. Nested VS poking. I have an old galco aiwb that fits perfectly for me and was a total no go for a buddy that asked to try it.

I have the opposite scenario with owb, on the rare occasion I carry owb I feel like I have a tumor becuase I was born with hips like a damn holstein.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Same, though I generally use a freezer Zip-Loc back, Mitch's Leather Lightning, and if extreme, I wrap the *unloaded* gun in a dress sock on the inside of the Zip-Loc.  Put it between your mattresses, and have happy dreams.  

But, nothing beats wearing it normally for a proper break-in.  Don't use oil products...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top