Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 10:51:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
so specifically what signs and how big does he need?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I don't know that.  I thought somebody might be interested in helping enough to engage with him.

If not, so be it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Originally Posted By trvln:
so specifically what signs and how big does he need?

I don't know that.  I thought somebody might be interested in helping enough to engage with him.

If not, so be it.

Probably things like “Saloon” which was mentioned,
Also  (think of things you’d see on an old western movie).  
Bank
Blacksmith
mercantile or General Store
barbershop
And
Miss Kittys Brothel (or House of Ill Repute)

I’d think some of the signs out to be vertical
B
A
N
K

A CNC router would do the job too
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I can probably help him out as soon as I get a couple of other projects off my plate.  Two other members are patiently waiting for me to please get all my little life speedbumps out of the way so I can finish up what I promised them.  

Will touch base with other thread's OP though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Any idea on preferred dimensions?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cmw:
Any idea on preferred dimensions?
View Quote

Asking questions into the void here, bring him into the conversation.

@dhmjr40
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was paged, lol.  Oh man, very cool.  Yeah I'd be glad to kick around some ideas.  I gotta repaint it one of these weekends but weather permitting I can take some measurements this weekend.  

Basically it's a hotel, barber, general store or Mercantile, saloon and Sheriff ( or sher-ruff)  office with jail.  I even have bars on the window.  A little cheesy is good with me.  

Thanks for the input!!  This will not be anytime soon, lol but maybe over the summer.  I'm in hwy construction and it's long hours, sometimes weekends.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dhmjr40] [#10]
Another old picture but gives u a better idea.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#11]
This was an old 'brain storming' note from a few years ago to give an idea for names.  Most of these are pretty lame  but you get the idea.  I have a pretty decent Bosch router and might can do some of the work myself.  I've never really used the thing though.  Are there some good videos or just back my ears and "trial & error?"   I do think some of the signs might need to my vertical due to lack of space.  I'm building the saloon around the corner next to the pond now and it'll have plenty of room.  I'm also thinking about doing a "Welcome to Dogwood" sign and tacking it on a post by itself.  Maybe shoot a few holes in it first with my New Vaquero?    

This all started with the boss's daughter throwing away a bunch of wooden crates when they were building her house.  I also have access to an unlimited amount of pallets from work.  Most all the building materials, except screws etc, are reclaimed.   Some days I'm more motivated than others though and with the type of work I do I guess it just started falling further and further back on my priority list.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a CNC router and could help with signs, but IMHO you'd be better off working up some stencils and painting the signs yourself instead of carving them out.  I 'spect most of the real signs were probably painted (?) so it would be more authentic, but more importantly if you're already sitting on a stack of materials then it doesn't make sense to ship something as heavy as signs around the country.

If you do decide to go with more permanent signs, though, I'd be glad to help.  My biggest problem right now is free time, but it doesn't sound like you're in a hurry so that may not matter.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By midmo:
I've got a CNC router and could help with signs, but IMHO you'd be better off working up some stencils and painting the signs yourself instead of carving them out.  I 'spect most of the real signs were probably painted (?) so it would be more authentic, but more importantly if you're already sitting on a stack of materials then it doesn't make sense to ship something as heavy as signs around the country.

If you do decide to go with more permanent signs, though, I'd be glad to help.  My biggest problem right now is free time, but it doesn't sound like you're in a hurry so that may not matter.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking honestly.  I have most of the tools already but will be back asking for advice, etc as stuff comes up.  Shipping stuff these days is still a crap shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top