Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By optionstrader:

Can't really disagree with that.  They always lacked the soul part.  but definitely technically skilled.  I can tell you that some of Trey's live solo's were very good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:

To my ears, Phish has almost none of the above. Their songwriting is lame, lyrics are all nonsense and trivial, and their jams, although filled with energy and technical skill, go absolutely nowhere. I don't like Phish at all.

Can't really disagree with that.  They always lacked the soul part.  but definitely technically skilled.  I can tell you that some of Trey's live solo's were very good.

They are whimsical to the Dead’s soul, though I would argue that JGB was Jerry’s true soul project.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got 99 shows under my belt but haven’t seen them in years. Might be time to get back on the train. Lately I’ve been seeing Dark Star Orchestra and the Disco Biscuits a bunch. Good times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: optionstrader] [#3]
Originally Posted By fike:

They are whimsical to the Dead’s soul, though I would argue that JGB was Jerry’s true soul project.
View Quote

For sure.  What honestly baffles me is that people still go to these shows.  My last dead show was in like '93, and Phish probably the same time.  I know people still going 30+ years later.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BBFCM:
I’ve got 99 shows under my belt but haven’t seen them in years. Might be time to get back on the train. Lately I’ve been seeing Dark Star Orchestra and the Disco Biscuits a bunch. Good times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sk-S] [#6]
Screen name checks out.

ETA: @ BBFCFM
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sk-S:
Screen name checks out.

View Quote

haha good catch!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
If you don’t like Grateful Dead you won’t like Phish or Widespread Panic or even Dave Matthews Band, at least not in concert.

I enjoy the ‘jam band’ stuff in small doses. You have to be willing to enjoy *that* performance and not be upset that you can’t sing along because they’re singing alternate lyrics or in a weird order and mashing songs together. If you thrive on order and familiarity it won’t be for you.

View Quote

Actually, i once liked Mathews and a good bit of his stuff. Particularly when he drifted into the more Funk side. I think the man has more rhythm built in than normal humans,  like a super power. But, the dude outed himself years ago as a rabid leftist. Those get the bounce from my eyes, ears and wallet.

My closest like of a jam type "musian's band" would be Steely Dan. Love most of their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like their cover songs better myself.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Drug's. Lots and lots of drugs
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

The homeless kids I've met at phish shows were with the rainbow gathering, which is basically the hippie version of gypsies
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:
Originally Posted By Cossa:
having seen both in concert, the bunch that follows Phish makes the bunch that followed the Dead look downright respectable. music is tolerable. much prefer WSP and GD though.

I prefer phish over panic, but agree about the fans. The filthiest people I've ever seen were at phish shows, and a lot of them went out of their way to seem weird.

The typical phish kid is just a homeless street kid/runaway that happened to find a ride to stay on tour half the year instead of living out of a tent in Portland.

A college student did a documentary about Phish tour back in '98 or '99 as part of a college project. He interviewed me for the documentary, but I didn't make it into the final cut. I was 28 so not really part of the college kid/homeless kid scene. I just liked the music.

He found the largest group on Phish tour were college kids, and surprisingly the majority were conservative. At least that's how it was in the 90's, I haven't seen them since their 20th anniversary show in Boston.

A large percentage of those "homeless looking kids" were posers wearing a costume trying to look like homeless kids on tour. I hung out with a lot of them, it was pretty easy to weed out the real "hippies" from the kids just trying to look the part. There were a lot of scumbags mixed in there, too.

The homeless kids I've met at phish shows were with the rainbow gathering, which is basically the hippie version of gypsies

Some, yes. Rainbow has a big national gathering every year, but there are dozens of smaller regional gatherings all across the country.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
I like their cover songs better myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzH1lmi20-c
View Quote

That’s always been my favorite Phish song even though it’s a cover.

#2 - Rift

#3 - Down With Disease, and last but not least….

#4 - Farmhouse

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Fuck I hate Jam Bands.
That's what Primus turned into.
View Quote

No they didn't. I saw them twice last week, and they rocked.

Les Claypool has done some side projects that are in the jam band genre, but Primus is Primus.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Fun (but useless fact), I went on a couple of dates with John Fishmans' ex wife.

Was never a deadhead nor a phishead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don’t know the story of gamehendge you aren’t a phish fan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I couldn't name a single Phish song. I'm OK with that and I'm sure they are to.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AKFF:
You pretty much said it. They are like the Grateful Dead.  If you didn’t like GD, then you aren’t going to like phish.  

Drugs are common in alot of music but central to GD and phish.
View Quote

Phish is nothing like the Grateful Dead because they have no soul.  Garcia had more talent in his fingernails than Phish does as a whole.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

Focused sound? Is that the band or the Sphere?
View Quote
Funny timing, I just had a call today about some work i'm doing with them for the Dead & Co. run at the Sphere.

Focused sound is part of the PA, there are over 167,000 individual drivers that use beamforming tech. Basically each seat has a tailored audio feed that sounds like it's right in front of you. Pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CulperJunior:
Funny timing, I just had a call today about some work i'm doing with them for the Dead & Co. run at the Sphere.

Focused sound is part of the PA, there are over 167,000 individual drivers that use beamforming tech. Basically each seat has a tailored audio feed that sounds like it's right in front of you. Pretty amazing.
View Quote

1994 Ramairthree in a muddy mosh pit in front of soundgarden on stage can’t understand want you are describing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

1994 Ramairthree in a muddy mosh pit in front of soundgarden on stage can't understand want you are describing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Originally Posted By CulperJunior:

1994 Ramairthree in a muddy mosh pit in front of soundgarden on stage can't understand want you are describing.
And that memory is way better than this one
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess most just don't understand the "jam". Never sounds the same twice, & always something new.
Kind of like jazz improvisation. Can lead to very tight bands that "break out" into a song from a jam, or seamlessly
go from one song to another with no break or bullshit.

Grateful Dead - Help On The Way / Slipknot / Franklin's Tower / The Music Never Stopped - 6/19/1976

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#22]

haha good catch!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sk-S:
Screen name checks out.

haha good catch!

Why am I running?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SystemOfTheMachine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHIFM0Y87c
View Quote

Is this f'ing real?  That sucks worse than Dave Matthews band
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
They were just getting noticed when I was at UVM in Burlington.  Having a last name "similar" to the band name, most of my food deliveries during college were spelled wrong  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:

Is this f'ing real?  That sucks worse than Dave Matthews band
View Quote
No.  If you look at their hands you can see it's not.

There's no explaining.  There are a band, they makes sounds, you either like or don't.

This is real.
"Chalk Dust Torture" - Phish: The Baker's Dozen Live At Madison Square Garden

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw Phish live at Big Cypress res NYE 2000. I've seen them live a handful of other times, but that show was a blast.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
I guess most just don't understand the "jam". Never sounds the same twice, & always something new.
Kind of like jazz improvisation. Can lead to very tight bands that "break out" into a song from a jam, or seamlessly
go from one song to another with no break or bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEA5zgNk0ec
View Quote

Fair to note in the comparison between jam bands is that Phish has maintained a performance level that The Dead often did not.

There are many, many, many performances or even months of performances that Jerry was so geeked on heroin that he had no business being on stage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
It's all about the improvisation. As a musician in the jam scene I have been going to Phish shows for many many years. Love em.

And I dont drink or do drugs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Fair to note in the comparison between jam bands is that Phish has maintained a performance level that The Dead often did not.

There are many, many, many performances or even months of performances that Jerry was so geeked on heroin that he had no business being on stage.
View Quote

& then he got clean, & then he got dirty
We all have our demons, & the man had way more good shows than bad. Anselmo was so wasted on pills from the late 80's to the mid 2000's he had to go to rehab
Hell, Lesh killed his liver with heroin, wouldn't be alive had it not been for donors. Saw dave matthews so wasted more than a few times at festivals & farm aid that he couldn't
sing his own songs, let alone someone else's. Warren Haynes was spot on most of the time. Allen Woody killed himself with heroin also. Michael Houser died of a rare disease.
But Panic kept on, & still was one of the top selling touring bands till they decided to stop touring.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Take all your albums, and burn them , Bill Hicks

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MinnFinn:
I saw Phish live at Big Cypress res NYE 2000. I've seen them live a handful of other times, but that show was a blast.
View Quote

I was at that show too. Good times, except for the traffic jam on Alligator Alley getting in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
.72-91 is a pretty damn good run. & not to mention Jerry never took time off between shows. His time off was spent with other musicians touring.

Legion of Mary
Jerry Garcia Band
Old and In the Way
Garcia & Grisman
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BBFCM] [#34]
Originally Posted By Backscatter:

I was at that show too. Good times, except for the traffic jam on Alligator Alley getting in.
View All Quotes

I got in just fine. Took 15 hours just to get to 95 75 on the way out though. 15 miles I think. 24 hours to get back just north of Philly. Helluva time though. Cheesecake, cheesecake!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BBFCM:

I got in just fine. Took 15 hours just to get to 95 on the way out though. 15 miles I think. 24 hours to get back just north of Philly. Helluva time though. Cheesecake, cheesecake!
View Quote

I forgot all about Cheesecake, cheesecake!
Getting out was crazy too. I still have the map they gave out around here somewhere, but we were in my buddy's motorhome at the NE corner of 4th & Hampton, sort of near the entrance IIRC.
The traffic was already slow getting in, then somebody was dancing on the roof of a motorhome, fell off and died. Then traffic just came to a standstill for hours.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

More of a jam band than dead cover band. Phish's music seems to be just a conduit for them to really explore musically.

I love the Dead and really can't stand phish. The dead were more rooted in western music Phish is basically an east coast version of the dead with a goofy playful sound. Great musicians just not my thing. My buddy went to Vegas for two shows. Said the Sphere was meant for Phish.
View Quote

I remember reading an interview with Trey or Paige were they said they were a jam band like the Dead, but that Dead lyrics had actual meaning.  I love both bands but Phish jams can border on wankery.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Cheesecake, cheescake, cheescake. I was there as well. What an absolute adventure. One of the huge festivals that went off without any major issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By usp4u:
I can't stomach them or Greatful Dead....

yet for some reason I really like OAR.  Kind of a half ass jam band, that has actual songs. Although, the songs have no point/story.
View Quote

That is weird.  They are half assed versions of either.  I like them as well.  Their cover of Fool in the rain is fucking shit hot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#39]
Back when Digital Equipment Corp was a thing, I worked with a guy who would take three months off every year to "tour with Phish."

He would come back looking like the soul had been sucked from his body. Sorta a blotchy pink and heart failure grey skin. Mentally and physically crippled. It took him a month to recover.

I guess he was otherwise awesome because he had worked at that place for decades at that point.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
A jam band for Deadheads that hate the Grateful Dead…
View Quote

Hmmm, I've never met a Phish fan that hated Grateful Dead.  Obviously it's all subjective.  I can't listen to most any GD studio album except Blues for Allah and Workingman's Dead but love listening to their shows.  With Phish, I find their shows to be overly to the extreme jammy, but love their studio albums.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

GenX people who missed out on GD and want to relive the experience they heard about from their cool uncle

(will admit under pressure I own Phish and Grateful Dead albums)
View Quote

Not a horrible explanation.  Jerry died when I was in high shcool and wasn't really familiar with the GD.  I find GD live shows post firing the Gaudcheax's to be awful.  I just can't stand their sound when they went to Brent Midland and midi effects.  It sounds like a cheesy carnival with a fat assed Jerry phoning it in and wheezing through the lyrics.  Phish and Widespread filled that void for me being live shows,  but '72-'78 Dead is my sweet spot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Pretty hard to call them a cover band after Junta in ‘89.
View Quote

You're right that's ridiculous.  Great album.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
They are a shitty version the Grateful Dead. Which is a shitty band to begin with.

No one likes the music. They just pretend to so they can pretend to be hippies.

Basically a band for wealthy trust fund kids to pretend to be into and pretend they are poor hippies.

That how they started anyway
View Quote

Sir please shut your whore mouth.  The GD players were head and shoulders above most any of their peers, save maybe Bob Weir.  They were a tight ass band that could also play blues standards and straight rock numbers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Basically the Grateful Dead 2.0 .
Phish was a big thing in Maine back in the late 1990's-early 2000's. I never liked them but a lot of kids here then did. Probably a good thing they came along when they did because a lot of Grateful Dead followers transformed into Phish followers and when Jerry Garcia died I was expecting a lot of lost followers to off themselves because their follow around the country lifestyle thing died with him. Phish took that same crowd and gave them a new place to go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larkinmusic] [#45]
Originally Posted By Tacosis:

Not a horrible explanation.  Jerry died when I was in high shcool and wasn't really familiar with the GD.  I find GD live shows post firing the Gaudcheax's to be awful.  I just can't stand their sound when they went to Brent Midland and midi effects.  It sounds like a cheesy carnival with a fat assed Jerry phoning it in and wheezing through the lyrics.  Phish and Widespread filled that void for me being live shows,  but '72-'78 Dead is my sweet spot.
View Quote

'89 and '90 are my second favorite years after  '72-'74
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
Basically the Grateful Dead 2.0 .
Phish was a big thing in Maine back in the late 1990's-early 2000's. I never liked them but a lot of kids here then did. Probably a good thing they came along when they did because a lot of Grateful Dead followers transformed into Phish followers and when Jerry Garcia died I was expecting a lot of lost followers to off themselves because their follow around the country lifestyle thing died with him. Phish took that same crowd and gave them a new place to go.
View Quote

The phrase "friends don't let friends listen to Phish" was often seen in places frequented by deadheads.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:

'89 and '90 are my second favorite years after  '72-'74
View Quote

Man those European tour shows were fire.  When they had Donna Jean's mic set up right and no Mickey they were tight as fuck.  Jam out with Scarlet/Fire and then Bobby rips off a One more Saturday night.  I don't know why but I just find Keith's piano playing something that grabs me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Never heard of them
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#49]
To those saying they were GD 2.0. No they weren’t. That’s like saying Creed was PJ 2.0

Kidding aside, Phish is far from a GD cover band or even GD 2.0. Completely different styles but it would take more musical intelligence than our GD could possibly fathom to understand why.  You don’t understand why Phish is good, that’s ok, most people aren’t very intelligent so don’t beat yourself up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#50]
phags?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top