Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2023 6:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CatBacker]
Does anyone have a source for used or refurbished iPads or similar tablets suitable for an Autistic child, at a price point that would not rule out frequent replacement from inevitably being dropped or stepped on?  The only requirement we would have of the device would be to access YouTube Kids, absolutely nothing else.  

I have two nine year-old grandsons, identical twins, with severe Autism.  They are beautiful little boys, but they are non-verbal and will need constant care for the rest of their lives.  They are learning to use speech devices to communicate to some degree, but unfortunately the iPads, because of that software, are very expensive, so the boys are only allowed to use them during therapy sessions or under close supervision so they don't get damaged.  Both boys love to play outside, climbing, swinging and running around, but when they can't play outside, they enjoy watching things they find on YouTube Kids, and it gives their mother (my daughter) some desperately needed break time.  Any suggestions would be great.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about the grandkids, friend. Hope someone answers your call!
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44-40pro] [#2]
IM me. I have a 7 inch fire tablet you can have. Has a Bluetooth keyboard you can have also. May be decommissioning afire 8 w/keyboard shortly as well. Would love for them to be put to a good cause 🙂👍🌲
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#3]
Check the refurbished section at Apple.com for WiFi only iPads. Availability is always changing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses.  I'll explore all of them!
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Just read your post, @CatBacker

Were you able to source an iPad or similar tablet for the boys?
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_Utah_88] [#6]
yes I sent him one and he never even reimbursed me for the shipping @Nate19
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you not read the last note I sent you?  I told you I don't use that payment system you mentioned and that I would send reimbursement by mail to the address on the box, and you did not reply to that note.  Nothing has changed about that intention.  I apologize for being tardy, I admit I'm late.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Johnny_Utah_88:
View Quote

I'll set up an account in the system you specified and reimburse there.  Again, apologies for the tardiness.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I have purchased them from pawn shops.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Check your IMs
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

So you gave him an iPad out of the kindness of your heart but eating the shipping was a bridge too far?

And had to bitch about it publicly?

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I figured out how to do Zelle this morning and he's been reimbursed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Nate19:
Just read your post, @CatBacker

Were you able to source an iPad or similar tablet for the boys?
View Quote

To answer your question, I think we're ok.  Two members donated their older model iPads and both are in service again.  One will run YouTube Kids, one won't but we found some ways to cope with that.  I hope these two last awhile.  We've tried several options over time, but the boys are just hard on stuff.  It's frustrating, but it's not their fault.  They just don't know any better.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't have cases for them already, search slamazon for "kid-proof tablet case". Admittedly, our kids don't use tablets often, but those foamy cases have prevented a lot of damage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lew:
If you don't have cases for them already, search slamazon for "kid-proof tablet case". Admittedly, our kids don't use tablets often, but those foamy cases have prevented a lot of damage.
View Quote

For sure!  Those things do a good job protecting against drops.  Getting stepped on is another story, unfortunately.  Things are getting better, though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top