BCM
User Panel

Page / 442
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]

SpaceX Rolls Out Booster 11 for Fourth Starship Flight Test Campaign
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoops, SPMT broke down part way to the pad. That one wheel is F'ed up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like they're poised to do a chopstick lift of the booster onto the OLM.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#7]
Just heard a blurb on the local news, caught halfway on the porch from the TV inside; discussing upgrading or building a new launch pad at the Space Center anticipating 44 Starship Launches a year in the near future.

It’s coming.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PR361:
Just heard a blurb on the local news, caught halfway on the porch from the TV inside; discussing upgrading or building a new launch pad at the Space Center anticipating 44 Starship Launches a year in the near future.

It’s coming.
View Quote

What is the refueling infrastructure like around the cape? Would SpaceX still need to truck in their methane & lox? At some point it seems a pipeline directly from a well or manufacturing facility would be needed to keep up with demand for increased starship launch cadence.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
At what point does it make sense to build a condensing plant and pipe in methane gas next to the tank farm?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PR361:

It's coming.
View Quote
I wonder if they're planning to build Starships in Florida or build them in Texas and ship them to Florida.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

That would be cooler.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Hadrian:
I wonder if they're planning to build Starships in Florida or build them in Texas and ship FLY them to Florida.

That would be cooler.  

I've always imagined that's what's going to happen. The question in my head is if they'll "hop" direct to Florida or go to orbit then land in Florida.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there any way for starship to land in Florida? If it can, why can't they ferry boosters over from Texas?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Is there any way for starship to land in Florida? If it can, why can't they ferry boosters over from Texas?
View Quote

At the moment, no. I don't think they have an operational tower. So no launches or landings just yet.

As for ferrying the things. It could be fairly easy, but my understanding is that these things have been built to stay upright. ULA ships rockets from Alabama to the Cape regularly. But shipping a Starship and booster if they both have to stay upright the whole trip might be a bit of a challenge.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#15]
At what point does it make sense to build a condensing plant and pipe in methane gas next to the tank farm?
View Quote

It's going to be one of their supply choke points in the not to distant future. I think it's rocket lab that has said there is not enough methane in all of New Zealand to support launching neutron from there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Combat_Leader:

It's going to be one of their supply choke points in the not to distant future. I think it's rocket lab that has said there is not enough methane in all of New Zealand to support launching neutron from there.
View Quote

Liquid oxygen actually. The entire LOX supply generated in the country every day would fill a Neutrons tanks halfway.

Its kinda funny that we are beginning to get a handle on these engineering challenges and are starting to bump up more and more against logistics issues.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Barges are generally way cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

What is the refueling infrastructure like around the cape? Would SpaceX still need to truck in their methane & lox? At some point it seems a pipeline directly from a well or manufacturing facility would be needed to keep up with demand for increased starship launch cadence.
View Quote

Methane would have to be trucked in same as it's already done with LOX, LH2, RP4... I think the only commodities that flow directly are liquid and gas nitrogen, and possibly helium.

The road the trucks use to deliver on site is fucked already, has been for >20yrs. The waves of tankers needed to support 40+ of these a year is going to be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

At the moment, no. I don't think they have an operational tower. So no launches or landings just yet.

As for ferrying the things. It could be fairly easy, but my understanding is that these things have been built to stay upright. ULA ships rockets from Alabama to the Cape regularly. But shipping a Starship and booster if they both have to stay upright the whole trip might be a bit of a challenge.
View Quote
I've always assumed starships and boosters would be shipped horizontally on inland barges. It wasn't a researched thought, but the most conventional way if rockets are shipped from Texas to Florida the way Saturn was shipped from Michoud to Cape.

But now, your post has me constructing 3d models in my head of blue water barges and/or ships with partial vertical silos with boosters and starship sticking out the top like some wicked oversized open top VLS. Mind you, I'm not thinking of the silos as launch silos, just transport silos.

I did briefly entertain a vision of repurposed JFK and Kitty Hawk conventional carrier hulls rescued from the ship scrappers in South Texas.

Can you transport starship vertically on an old carrier with huge holes punched through the deck?  Maybe yes, but why would you want to?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Methane would have to be trucked in same as it's already done with LOX, LH2, RP4... I think the only commodities that flow directly are liquid and gas nitrogen, and possibly helium.

The road the trucks use to deliver on site is fucked already, has been for >20yrs. The waves of tankers needed to support 40+ of these a year is going to be a problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

You aren't kidding about the roads. I traveled all over the US last year when I escaped Reno and the roads around Boca Chica were among the worst I found. There were some roads in New Mexico that were worse. But they seemed to be trying to fix those. Some of the space enthusiasts who go there had their vehicles badly damaged on those roads.

It makes a rather wild contrast that they have this incredibly sophisticated facility out in the middle of nowhere that needs to be supported by convoys of trucks. If the launch cadence picks up dramatically then it will probably demand new roads and probably pipeline networks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
I've always assumed starships and boosters would be shipped horizontally on inland barges. It wasn't a researched thought, but the most conventional way if rockets are shipped from Texas to Florida the way Saturn was shipped from Michoud to Cape.

But now, your post has me constructing 3d models in my head of blue water barges and/or ships with partial vertical silos with boosters and starship sticking out the top like some wicked oversized open top VLS. Mind you, I'm not thinking of the silos as launch silos, just transport silos.

I did briefly entertain a vision of repurposed JFK and Kitty Hawk conventional carrier hulls rescued from the ship scrappers in South Texas.

Can you transport starship vertically on an old carrier with huge holes punched through the deck?  Maybe yes, but why would you want to?
View Quote

Last time a thread was done on it the Kittyhawk looked about halfway dismantled. As you said, transporting these things in a vertical orientation across the Gulf o Mexico would be a huge headache that would probably demand custom made ships or barges.

An idea that's been posited here before that I like is a ring of launch sites and platforms around the world where boosters could land downrange. Refuel, take on a new cargo and launch again until they make a complete circuit of the world. But it's probably going to be a hundred years or more until we have a need for that level of space launch infrastructure. Humanity would have to be moving into space in a BIG way to justify that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Really think the future will need barge or ship transport of fuels, oxygen, and other liquified gas needs.

Either that or skip the middle man if natural gas pipelines are already run. Go to an onsite production plant for making liquid products from air such as 02 and N2. Also make methane from natural gas. Elon companies tend to grow more vertically oriented as they progress. Not sure of the overall economics of various routes, but I bet people are working on figuring that out or planning a path.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Don’t ship them, fly them..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Last time a thread was done on it the Kittyhawk looked about halfway dismantled. As you said, transporting these things in a vertical orientation across the Gulf o Mexico would be a huge headache that would probably demand custom made ships or barges.

An idea that's been posited here before that I like is a ring of launch sites and platforms around the world where boosters could land downrange. Refuel, take on a new cargo and launch again until they make a complete circuit of the world. But it's probably going to be a hundred years or more until we have a need for that level of space launch infrastructure. Humanity would have to be moving into space in a BIG way to justify that.
View Quote
I figured the scrappers had taken Kitty Hawk too far down.

I don't think the idea is practical anyway, but the poetry of JFK loaded with vertical or even horizontal boosters and s was too hard not to fantasize about.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I figured the scrappers had taken Kitty Hawk too far down.

I don't think the idea is practical anyway, but the poetry of JFK loaded with vertical or even horizontal boosters and s was too hard not to fantasize about.

View Quote

I've joked that if Boeing were to make reusable boosters then their landing barges would probably be roughly the size and shape of a Nimitz Class Carrier and they would probably have an elaborate onboard hangar mechanism that would probably be similar to what you described.

They would intend to build those. But they would probably never go to sea because of many, many issues at the shipyards.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NwG:

Don't ship them, fly them..
View Quote
It depends on the cadence allowed from Boca and the deadlines that must be met.

If launching from Boca, completing an actual mission or tested mission, then landing at Cape is the plan, then that makes the most efficient way of ending up with a supply of reusable ships and boosters at the Cape.

If the allowed launch rate from Boca is not sufficient to meet deadlines, it may be required to ship rockets to the Cape.

Hopefully, relaunch of Boca launched missions from Cape and new launch of Boca missions from Boca happens soon enough to meet mission required cadence and deadlines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#27]
It depends on the cadence allowed from Boca and the deadlines that must be met.

If launching from Boca, completing an actual mission or tested mission, then landing at Cape is the plan, then that makes the most efficient way of ending up with a supply of reusable ships and boosters at the Cape.

If the allowed launch rate from Boca is not sufficient to meet deadlines, it may be required to ship rockets to the Cape.

Hopefully, relaunch of Boca launched missions from Cape and new launch of Boca missions from Boca happens soon enough to meet mission required cadence and deadlines.
View Quote

If they do have to ship, doing so vertically shouldn’t be too hard.

They ship gantry cranes across the pacific like this regularly..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#28]

I've joked that if Boeing were to make reusable boosters then their landing barges would probably be roughly the size and shape of a Nimitz Class Carrier and they would probably have an elaborate onboard hangar mechanism that would probably be similar to what you described.

They would intend to build those. But they would probably never go to sea because of many, many issues at the shipyards.
View Quote
Apparently, Elon has to get into the shipbuilding business to build offshore platforms and transporters.

Also, he is going to have to get into the modular nuclear reactor business for space, land, extraterrestrial power and propulsion.

After that, he might as well get into nuclear submarines in order to keep America alive as well as a source of funding.

Always thought he would buy naval reactors for a short cut to extraterrestrial reactors, but low rate production and lack of competitive capitalism of defense contractors means it makes more sense to go the other way around.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#29]

If they do have to ship, doing so vertically shouldn't be too hard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/IMG_0722_jpeg-3212490.JPG
View Quote
I've watched cranes like that come up the Houston ship channel on such a vessel and get installed at Barbours Cut.

It's the payload I'm concerned about not the shipping vessel. Also, blue water wave loading vs gentle inland water and exposure to salt spray.

Those are cranes built from steel with large safety factors. Rockets have very low safety factors. Then again, SpaceX rockets have a lot of Austenitic Stainless Steel and proved pretty tough to severe atmospheric forces on the first launch. Newer rockets were reduced in skin thickness after that though.

Preference is to avoid sea water corrosion and blue water wave action loading if possible.

Not sure if Saturn ever had to be transported over blue water to reach the cape.I'm unfamiliar with inland waterways once you reach Pensacola. Need to look that up. But Saturn was disposable, so corrosion problems would be less of a concern.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#30]
Apparently, both first and second stage of Saturn V were shipped blue water to the Cape. Second stage came from California through Panama Canal.  Third stage arrived by air in the Guppy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Apparently, Elon has to get into the shipbuilding business to build offshore platforms and transporters.

Also, he is going to have to get into the modular nuclear reactor business for space, land, extraterrestrial power and propulsion.

After that, he might as well get into nuclear submarines in order to keep America alive as well as a source of funding.

Always thought he would buy naval reactors for a short cut to extraterrestrial reactors, but low rate production and lack of competitive capitalism of defense contractors means it makes more sense to go the other way around.

View Quote

He has stated many, many times that he wants humanity to be multi planetary. But everyone agrees that is going to be really hard.

I’m hoping that the solar system and our entire planets industrial base is willing to give us a few shortcuts though.

Major Discoveries About Mercury May Rewrite a Few Textbooks

Copenhagen Atomics first reactor images
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I've watched cranes like that come up the Houston ship channel on such a vessel and get installed at Barbours Cut.

It's the payload I'm concerned about not the shipping vessel. Also, blue water wave loading vs gentle inland water and exposure to salt spray.

Those are cranes built from steel with large safety factors. Rockets have very low safety factors. Then again, SpaceX rockets have a lot of Austenitic Stainless Steel and proved pretty tough to severe atmospheric forces on the first launch. Newer rockets were reduced in skin thickness after that though.

Preference is to avoid sea water corrosion and blue water wave action loading if possible.

Not sure if Saturn ever had to be transported over blue water to reach the cape.I'm unfamiliar with inland waterways once you reach Pensacola. Need to look that up. But Saturn was disposable, so corrosion problems would be less of a concern.
View All Quotes

If they do have to ship, doing so vertically shouldn't be too hard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84193/IMG_0722_jpeg-3212490.JPG

NASA barges
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#33]

NASA barges
View Quote
Never knew NASA had their own covered barges. I only remember seeing open deck barge with an S1C on it. I always thought it was just a commercially chartered open deck.

The starship booster is smaller diameter than S1C.

I wonder if a starship booster would fit in the covered barges?

Wow, looks like Starship Booster might fit with 7 feet in length to spare.

https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/sls_pegasus_fact_sheet_508_final_04212017.pdf?emrc=c246d7

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty sure that a Starfactory is being built at the Cape as well-Roberts Road. Hasn't exactly been a secret.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
Pretty sure that a Starfactory is being built at the Cape as well-Roberts Road. Hasn't exactly been a secret.

Nick
View Quote

Yes, but how long is it going to be until it's cranking out ships and boosters like 🍺 kegs? Even as fast as SpaceX does things...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Nick
View Quote
SpaceX is hard to keep up with.

I think the starfactory at the cape was repurposed for Sats.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#37]
The Enterprise is stricken from the rolls and scheduled for scrapping. Sell it to SpaceX as a launch platform. Eight nuclear reactors and lads of space below decks. Turn it into a launch facility and propellant manufacturing station. The navy already does LOx and LN2 production onboard ships. Figure out a way to manufacture methane onboard or harvest it from the sea floor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkGray] [#39]
View Quote

Looks like they finally installed a hot gas thruster. What's the problem?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#40]
SpaceX Preparing to Fully Stack Booster 11 and Ship 29, But Ship 31 Sees a Serious Electrical Fault!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Man I want to see that ship land on the moon and mars.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

That was less than ideal, I think.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#45]
next victim is stacked

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Nick
View Quote

Yeah i don't see them barging boosters or ships around.

They aren't ment to go horizontal but that could just be a matter of bracing.

With a factory in florida there would be no need and it would probably be easier to just fly them there.

My vision of the offshore rigs would essentially be to chain them out so you could take off from shore, not have to so a boostback thus providing improved performance and then get refueled with a tanker and hop to the next pad. You either get to the end of the line and fly an expendable mission or have enough to circle the globe.

I guess that poses some problems with payload integration...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I've lost track. What Booster? What Ship? What IFT?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
I've lost track. What Booster? What Ship? What IFT?
View Quote

IFT-4, Booster 11 & Ship 29
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Yes, but how long is it going to be until it's cranking out ships and boosters like 🍺 kegs? Even as fast as SpaceX does things...
View Quote

Remember that one complication SpaceX has is that they tweak and twist designs almost launch-to-launch.  That's one reason FH took so long....because they kept improving F9's performance AND making major changes to it that kept forcing the FH team to revise their designs.

So, before the Starfactories start cranking them out on a weekly basis.....they are probably going to have to "freeze" on one design iteration (at least for one series production).  Florida will probably be the "mass production" effort, while iterative development continues at Boca Chica.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
Remember that one complication SpaceX has is that they tweak and twist designs almost launch-to-launch.  That's one reason FH took so long....because they kept improving F9's performance AND making major changes to it that kept forcing the FH team to revise their designs.

So, before the Starfactories start cranking them out on a weekly basis.....they are probably going to have to "freeze" on one design iteration (at least for one series production).  Florida will probably be the "mass production" effort, while iterative development continues at Boca Chica.
View Quote

Oh certainly, Starship as it is now is an absolutely incredible piece of hardware. But it's clearly not where it needs to be to replace Falcon 9 yet. Never mind fulfiling the NASA contract for a lunar lander.

Once they get to the point that Starship is refined enough to truly supplant F-9. The world changes forever. But yeah, there's still work to be done.
Page / 442
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top