User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 440
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
Mine Asteroids.  They're already up there... you only need enough up mass from Earth to get things started and it will be self sufficient from there.

Separating different elements from the asteroids requires either a gravity well or a centrifuge.  The Moon or Mars are convenient places with enough gravity to process asteroids before we construct a rotating station to be a centrifuge.

Construct rotating cylinders... Light source down the center.  The entire inner surface is farm.  Orbital farm cylinders provide food for any colonies.  ... put engines on them and they're interstellar generation ships.

The problem this faces is the same problem vertical farms here on Earth are facing right now.  
1. Power.  We'll need efficient long lasting cheap power generation... Nuclear or Fusion.
2. Sealed environments with recycled air and water... have been touted as a benefit to vertical farms... meaning it'd be easy to control the environment for ideal growth.  In practice bugs and disease still get in and the recycling spreads infestations and disease faster than it would outside and way faster than it can be detected and mitigated resulting in massive crop failures.

losts of research and development will need to take place to enable exporting our biosphere off Earth no matter where we want to export that biosphere to.
View Quote

Cortana, what exactly am I looking at?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Cortana, what exactly am I looking at?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a really cool YT channel with info about Spacex and past history of space exploration most have never heard about such as the Soviet Mars missions back in the late 1960s and 70s.  And it does not appear to be one of the many AI channels popping up every damn day.

How SpaceX Will Land On Mars
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Blenders are cheap and available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Colonization will take a whole nother level of technology to make life possible without resources from earth. We are in the ideal position in the solar system. Nothing else comes close.
Maybe habitats in orbit a little further out could raise food for exploration, but out past Mars the sunlight would be too dim without some way to enhance it for photosynthesis. I don't see any sort of protein farms in any way. (cows on the moon?)

Crickets are protein too
Too crunchy.

Blenders are cheap and available.

Live and crunchy -> blended -> pan fired in butter -> yummy crunchy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Colonization will take a whole nother level of technology to make life possible without resources from earth. We are in the ideal position in the solar system. Nothing else comes close.
Maybe habitats in orbit a little further out could raise food for exploration, but out past Mars the sunlight would be too dim without some way to enhance it for photosynthesis. I don't see any sort of protein farms in any way. (cows on the moon?)
View Quote
You aren't giving humans enough credit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
I had completely forgotten about fish. A pressed up holding tank would work with supporting systems. Fish do need gravity. "Spin the drum" would solve that and a host of other issues in space. Fungals, fish, and vegetables would make it easier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#11]
A live connection to Earths Internet is kind of pointless.  A cached internet would avoid constantly retrieving the same data.  Plus, it will be a damn long time before Amazon Prime delivers to Mars...  Not a whole lot of reasons to use Plenty of Fish over planetary distances.  But yes, Only Fans would suffer.

As for as Robber Barons - are we talking about Mars, or politics as usual here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
A live connection to Earths Internet is kind of pointless.  A cached internet would avoid constantly retrieving the same data.  Plus, it will be a damn long time before Amazon Prime delivers to Mars...  Not a whole lot of reasons to use Plenty of Fish over planetary distances.  But yes, Only Fans would suffer.
View Quote

There's a protocol literally called "InterPlanetary File System" which is designed to solve the caching problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:

Construct rotating cylinders... Light source down the center.  The entire inner surface is farm.  Orbital farm cylinders provide food for any colonies.  ... put engines on them and they're interstellar generation ships.
View Quote

Rotating cylinders are inherently unstable about their long axis.  They tend to progressively wobble until they are rotating about their short axis.  Which would be bad news for an O'Neill colony, for several reasons.

This is one of the reasons why the original O'Neill cylinder design used two rotating cylinders connected together as a single unit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:

Rotating cylinders are inherently unstable about their long axis.  They tend to progressively wobble until they are rotating about their short axis.  Which would be bad news for an O'Neill colony, for several reasons.

This is one of the reasons why the original O'Neill cylinder design used two rotating cylinders connected together as a single unit.
View Quote

Yes and we don't see this very often in science fiction. Partly because a single cylinder looks more dramatic but I think mainly because most sci-fi productions are set on planets instead of large stations.

Large rotating habitats do make a lot of sense in my opinion. Some designs can be really, really, really big but still within the limits of materials science.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Any updates on IFT-4?  Still thinking late May?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Yes and we don't see this very often in science fiction. Partly because a single cylinder looks more dramatic but I think mainly because most sci-fi productions are set on planets instead of large stations.

Large rotating habitats do make a lot of sense in my opinion. Some designs can be really, really, really big but still within the limits of materials science.
View All Quotes

Hold on!

Dancing T-handle in zero-g, HD

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

Hold on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-HMSCDYtM
View Quote

That's pretty cool.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ugS8kPcMJ3c?si=y_wftRkBoYCE6SyP
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Hold on!

View All Quotes

Hold on!

This explanation is helpful.
The Bizarre Behavior of Rotating Bodies
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]

That's pretty cool.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ugS8kPcMJ3c?si=y_wftRkBoYCE6SyP
View Quote

That would be awesome to see
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Hold on!

View Quote
Yeah.  his comment reminded me of that video too... but I was too lazy to look it up.

thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I would not call IFT-3 a great success.  It make substantive improvements.

That is like calling it a successful moon landing when a lander breaks a leg and tips over.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

That is like calling it a successful moon landing when a lander breaks a leg and tips over.
View Quote

Are you quibling over the adverb the NASA rep used in front of the word successful or do you think IFT-3 was a failure?
The entire point of their iterative development process is to quickly design, construct and safely fly prototypes while making substantive improvements on each flight. Pretty difficult to argue SpaceX has not been doing that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]
You’re telling me next year we get to watch 2 of these things take off the same day, mate in space, watch the lower stages land on the chopsticks, and then watch the ships land?

Man what a day that’s going to be!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fox2008] [#27]

View All Quotes

If the stated goal of a test is substantial improvements, and substantial improvements are made, then the test is a great success.

ETA: lol....I didn't notice who I was responding to.....of course you wouldn't call it a great success.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Imagine when SpaceX gets so successful and runs launches like clockwork and colonizes the moon. You'll be like hey where do you want to vacation this year "How about the Moon". That's what it's going to be like.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
Imagine when SpaceX gets so successful and runs launches like clockwork and colonizes the moon. You'll be like hey where do you want to vacation this year "How about the Moon". That's what it's going to be like.
View Quote

We are going to need a lot of fission reactors to sustain that kind of thing.

That said, I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#31]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

If the stated goal of a test is substantial improvements, and substantial improvements are made, then the test is a great success.

ETA: lol....I didn't notice who I was responding to.....of course you wouldn't call it a great success.
View Quote

Because it was not.  Was the stated goal to just improve or was it to get through re-entry and splashdown Starship?   What about the booster?  Just get close to the water or go through a controlled burn as it touches water?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Because it was not.  Was the stated goal to just improve or was it to get through re-entry and splashdown Starship?   What about the booster?  Just get close to the water or go through a controlled burn as it touches water?
View Quote

Speaking strictly for me. I'm satisfied when they can get the thing far enough away from the pad that it won't blow everything to kingdom come if it blows.

This is the biggest rocket in the world. There aren't many things that can compare to it. And one of the few things that can is N-1. A rocket that was an unmitigated disaster.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

The metric isn't the delta from the final product, but the delta from IFT-3's intended objectives.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

The stated goal was to attempt a bunch of things. Which they attempted.

"The third flight test aims to build on what we’ve learned from previous flights while attempting a number of ambitious objectives, including the successful ascent burn of both stages, opening and closing Starship’s payload door, a propellant transfer demonstration during the upper stage’s coast phase, the first ever re-light of a Raptor engine while in space, and a controlled reentry of Starship. It will also fly a new trajectory, with Starship targeted to splashdown in the Indian Ocean. This new flight path enables us to attempt new techniques like in-space engine burns while maximizing public safety."

https://web.archive.org/web/20240308191527/https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-3
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

"The third flight test aims to build on what we’ve learned from previous flights while attempting a number of ambitious objectives, including the successful ascent burn of both stages, opening and closing Starship’s payload door, a propellant transfer demonstration during the upper stage’s coast phase, the first ever re-light of a Raptor engine while in space, and a controlled reentry of Starship. It will also fly a new trajectory, with Starship targeted to splashdown in the Indian Ocean. This new flight path enables us to attempt new techniques like in-space engine burns while maximizing public safety."

https://web.archive.org/web/20240308191527/https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-3
View Quote

For a test flight they got 6 out of 8 of those ambitious objectives and there were others they met not included.

Seemed like something stupid and maybe easy to fix as far as the controlled reentry. Seemed like an rcs failed in some way. If it was some problem with the structure being aerodynamically unstable during a hypersonic reentry they probably would be drastically changing the flaps or something and not just yeeting another ship with the same basic design.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

For a test flight they got 6 out of 8 of those ambitious objectives and there were others they met not included.

Seemed like something stupid and maybe easy to fix as far as the controlled reentry. Seemed like an rcs failed in some way. If it was some problem with the structure being aerodynamically unstable during a hypersonic reentry they probably would be drastically changing the flaps or something and not just yeeting another ship with the same basic design.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

From watching the video, imho, it was either a flap issue, rcs issue, or a center of gravity issue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#39]
Human for scale:
Attachment Attached File

From my visit to Starbase yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:33:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#40]
Originally Posted By ACTF_ZETT:
You’re telling me next year we get to watch 2 of these things take off the same day, mate in space, watch the lower stages land on the chopsticks, and then watch the ships land?

Man what a day that’s going to be!
View Quote

Probably a few days between launches. Putthing them both into the same orbit obviously gives the second one has a ton of launch windows every day depending on orbit height.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#41]
EVA suit trailer just dropped:
The Extravehicular Activity (EVA) Suit
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Volksgewehr:
EVA suit trailer just dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdELVCg2Ank
View Quote

And the EVA rig in the nose of Dragon is called Sky Walker... LOL.

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: Today 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#44]
SpaceX Static Fires Ship 30 in Preparation for the Fifth Starship Flight
Page / 440
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top