Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 4:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial]
I’m buying a weber kettle today.  I haven’t had a grill in almost a decade (since we moved to the new house that didn’t have a deck or patio) and since I built us a patio last fall, I decided it was time to get another grill.  I wanted either a charcoal or Blackstone and settled on charcoal. Better taste and I can potentially smoke meat in it… something I’ve always wanted to do at home.

I found a good price a good condition Weber Master Touch on FB marketplace.

I was thinking about ordering a spider Grill Venom to be able to do smoking using the snake method.  Worth it, or should I consider something else? It’s not cheap… actually it costs more than the grill, cover, chimney, and coal pans.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#1]
I've looked at these a couple times. I smoke on a Weber Kettle most of the year. The snake method works great for pork butts or things that fit in the middle of the grate. That's how I started. Once I started doing brisket, ribs, etc., I got a Slow 'N Sear Original insert and just have a cold side. I have also found that it is pretty easy to get the vents set and not have to touch them for hours at a time. I may only fiddle with them after refilling the Slow 'N Sear until the temp settles again. Holding 250 is really easy and 225/275 are pretty easy as well. I go back and forth, but I think the kettle holds well enough without spending that kind of money. I'll put that money towards a larger gravity charcoal grill/smoker that I can do 2-3 brisket on if desired.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
I've looked at these a couple times. I smoke on a Weber Kettle most of the year. The snake method works great for pork butts or things that fit in the middle of the grate. That's how I started. Once I started doing brisket, ribs, etc., I got a Slow 'N Sear Original insert and just have a cold side. I have also found that it is pretty easy to get the vents set and not have to touch them for hours at a time. I may only fiddle with them after refilling the Slow 'N Sear until the temp settles again. Holding 250 is really easy and 225/275 are pretty easy as well. I go back and forth, but I think the kettle holds well enough without spending that kind of money. I'll put that money towards a larger gravity charcoal grill/smoker that I can do 2-3 brisket on if desired.
https://i.imgur.com/LdbE6KA.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/qfQ4RF4.jpg?3

View Quote

How many times you have to refill a SnS while doing a Brisket?  looks like a 12-lb

I went ahead and ordered the Venom anyways.  I like the idea of being able to set-forget it overnight and such.  I kind of like the idea of turning my two weber baskets into a Bro-n-Sear for free and then making a homemade vortex, too.  I think if I didn't order the venom I'd just buy the SnS and vortex, but they seem like easy to improvise things.

I smoked two racks of St. Louis ribs first thing on the Weber last weekend using the snake method.  I only ran the snake 2/3 of the way around. It took me 3 hours to realize the reason I couldn't the temp over 200F was because the bottom vent I thought was wide open was completely shut.  So my 3-2-1 ribs turned into like 5-1-1 ribs. They were still delicious though.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont have a Weber anymore, though I'm looking to add one back. The venom might help, but I always just did a snake.

I have a ceramic gril) on the back deck that I love. Easy to set and forget. On the front porch, I have a pit boss pellet grill, so its not in the rain. The ceramic is covered though.

For quick cooks its the pitboss, for really good cooks its the egg. I know this didn't help
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:

How many times you have to refill a SnS while doing a Brisket?  looks like a 12-lb

I went ahead and ordered the Venom anyways.  I like the idea of being able to set-forget it overnight and such.  I kind of like the idea of turning my two weber baskets into a Bro-n-Sear for free and then making a homemade vortex, too.  I think if I didn't order the venom I'd just buy the SnS and vortex, but they seem like easy to improvise things.

I smoked two racks of St. Louis ribs first thing on the Weber last weekend using the snake method.  I only ran the snake 2/3 of the way around. It took me 3 hours to realize the reason I couldn't the temp over 200F was because the bottom vent I thought was wide open was completely shut.  So my 3-2-1 ribs turned into like 5-1-1 ribs. They were still delicious though.  

View Quote

I forget what that brisket was pre-trim, probably 12-14. I try not to get huge ones. They claim a lot longer than I get, but I probably check it every 4 hours and add charcoal once, maybe twice for a 10-12 hour brisket cook. I did the bro-n-sear with baskets. Even slotted one vertically and bent the tabs out to increase capacity. You might get 3 hours out of it and have to clear the ash out of the bottom or it chokes the coals down. The SnS seemed to at least double the time I could go without checking.

From their website "8+ hours unattended "low-n-slow" (225-250  F) operation with a single charcoal fill; if needed, refilling the Slow 'N Sear  couldn't be easier." That may be close as I do tend to hold between 250-275. Charcoal choice also helps I'm sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top