Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Stainless is usually very mildly magnetic
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:

This.  My wife loves magnets of all kinds so she can have the fridge covered in shit.  I got tired of it and suggested we buy a new stainless fridge.  She loved the idea.  I took a magnet with me to make sure they wouldn’t stick to it.  Came home with the new fridge.  She immediately tries to put shit on it and nothing stuck.  She was pissed.  After a little online research she figured it out but never blamed me.  Next house we moved to several years later she made damned sure that it would attract a magnet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
I like stainless fridge doors for that reason.

No crappy magnets with notes will stick to it. And my fridge is in a cubby hole so the sides aren't accessible.

I too thought it was common knowledge of the characteristics of stainless steel.

This.  My wife loves magnets of all kinds so she can have the fridge covered in shit.  I got tired of it and suggested we buy a new stainless fridge.  She loved the idea.  I took a magnet with me to make sure they wouldn’t stick to it.  Came home with the new fridge.  She immediately tries to put shit on it and nothing stuck.  She was pissed.  After a little online research she figured it out but never blamed me.  Next house we moved to several years later she made damned sure that it would attract a magnet.

lol that's funny.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:04:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ch1966] [#4]
You must learn its riddle, OP. You must learn its discipline. For no one...   no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
That's normal. Depending on grade, stainless steel ranges from "a little magnetic" to "not magnetic at all".
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:
Needed nuts and bolts to replace a couple for mounting my motor to my boat.  Went to Lowe's grabbed a couple, paid for them, and when I got home I didn't have time right away to install them.  So I put them in a magnetic parts dish.  They slid around the dish freely.  Struck me as odd so I lifted them out....zero resistance.  The magnet wasn't doing anything to hold the bolts.  Figured maybe something was wrong with the dish so I tried a different one.  Same result.  

Any idea why stainless bolts wouldn't be magnetic?  Never encountered such a thing before.

Thanks!
View Quote

Congratulations, you just proved they are actually stainless steel, and not a 400 series "stainless" steel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the 300-series stainless hardware I've gotten from the hardware store is at least somewhat magnetic. I believe it has to do with forming the head (cold working).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Stainless generally isn't magnetic.
View Quote

Not true.

In general, there are two major types of stainless steel most persons will encounter:

"AISI 300 series" stainless steels tend to be used in applications such as a stainless steel kitchen sink.   These are non-magnetic.

"AISI 400 series" stainless is used for applications that require heat treating or the like.   An excellent example would be stainless steel firearms.  This class of stainless steel is magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a picture of the markings on the head of the bolt and I can give you the information you seek.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BASE:
Most of the 300-series stainless hardware I've gotten from the hardware store is at least somewhat magnetic. I believe it has to do with forming the head (cold working).
View Quote

The bolt heads are usually hot formed, if any magnetism came from cold working it was likely when the threads were rolled.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

The bolt heads are usually hot formed, if any magnetism came from cold working it was likely when the threads were rolled.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
Originally Posted By BASE:

I noticed they were slightly magnetic when I was a kid working for a company that bought a bunch and asked, best I can recall that was the explanation offered. I don't make a habit out of checking but I do know the stainless stuff I get from True Value is slightly magnetic. Tough to fish out of a tight spot with a magnet but they are attracted.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

You have iron-nickel stainless alloys, with chrome too, as well as other stuff in there.  They are usually mostly iron,with chrome then nickel being no2  and 3 in %.  These are generally your austenitic 3xx grades

Then there is the Iron-chrome which is mostly ferritics.   This would be like 439 stainless.  

Non ferrous is no Fe, so could be nickel alloys, cobalt, Al, titanium...
Well they're going to have some Fe, but Any iron would be very small %

Not all 400 type stainless steels are martensitic.   Some are ferritic, like 409, 430, 441.

And then there's duplex alloys

This wiki article is pretty good and covers all the stainless types and properties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
Many stainless steels are non-ferrous. Figured this was common knowledge...

You have iron-nickel stainless alloys, with chrome too, as well as other stuff in there.  They are usually mostly iron,with chrome then nickel being no2  and 3 in %.  These are generally your austenitic 3xx grades

Then there is the Iron-chrome which is mostly ferritics.   This would be like 439 stainless.  

Non ferrous is no Fe, so could be nickel alloys, cobalt, Al, titanium...
Well they're going to have some Fe, but Any iron would be very small %

Not all 400 type stainless steels are martensitic.   Some are ferritic, like 409, 430, 441.

And then there's duplex alloys

This wiki article is pretty good and covers all the stainless types and properties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Knew there were numerous different stainless steel alloys out there, always thought the "lesser" ones were more prone to rusting and/or were ferrous of some sort. I've generally only dealt with 304 & 316 with hardware & enclosures. My bubble on this subject is seemingly quite small...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By zach_:

You forgot where you are.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:
Many stainless steels are non-ferrous. Figured this was common knowledge...

You forgot where you are.

lol, yeah...

...and then some posters drop some real knowledge. This place cracks me up
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:51:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RIP-Yataski] [#15]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Ferromagnetic.

Non-ferrous means no iron content.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Michigan_Man:

This isn't true. Ferrous means iron. Steel is always an alloy of iron and some other trace materials. Therefore it's not possible to have a non-ferrous type of steel, stainless or otherwise.

My best guess is that the multiple people in this thread saying stainless steel is non-ferrous think non-ferrous means non-magnetic, which it doesn't.

Sorry, I'm kind of surprised at how much this annoyed me.
View Quote

See, more of that knowledge and correction. Yes, I used 'non-ferrous' to mean non-magnetic vs having iron content. My mistake, thanks...

ETA: Added 'non-'...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]

You serious Clark?

What grade is not magnetic at all?  Typically stainless bolts are glued to magnetic parts dishes.

View All Quotes
That's normal. Depending on grade, stainless steel ranges from "a little magnetic" to "not magnetic at all".

You serious Clark?

What grade is not magnetic at all?  Typically stainless bolts are glued to magnetic parts dishes.

Real stainless hardware is not magnetic and will not stick to a parts bowl
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Joe731:

Is your boat made of aluminum?

https://crafter.fastenal.com/static-assets/pdfs/Corrosion_rev_2017-02-21.pdf
View Quote

It is.  I haven't noticed anything but will take a closer look.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wienerman1961] [#19]
The better ones are not magnetic due to higher nickel/chromium content. Pro tip - when buying SS  Sinks, run from anything that a small magnet attracts to. Don’t check your fancy SS  chinesium appliances.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]

No crappy magnets with notes will stick to it. And my fridge is in a cubby hole so the sides aren't accessible.

I too thought it was common knowledge of the characteristics of stainless steel.
View Quote

I spent 20 years doing metallurgical chemistry and knew there is stainless, then there is stainless.
Some magnetic, some not.

But my refrigerator and microwave door/cabinet are stainless.  And all kinds of stuff is stuck to them with magnets.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Austenite, the crystal structure of austenitic (300-series) stainless steel is not magnetic.

Screws and bolts might be mildly magnetic, which will be evident using a magnet to pick them up.  The force of magnetism will be so small that you won't be able to feel it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Needed nuts and bolts to replace a couple for mounting my motor to my boat.  Went to Lowe's grabbed a couple, paid for them, and when I got home I didn't have time right away to install them.  So I put them in a magnetic parts dish.  They slid around the dish freely.  Struck me as odd so I lifted them out....zero resistance.  The magnet wasn't doing anything to hold the bolts.  Figured maybe something was wrong with the dish so I tried a different one.  Same result.  

Any idea why stainless bolts wouldn't be magnetic?  Never encountered such a thing before.

Thanks!
View Quote
This thread will be full of wrong and misleading answers.

1.  Austenitic grades of stainless steel are common grades of corrosion resistant stainless used in fasteners. 304 is sometimes called 18/8. These grades of stainless are not heavily magnetic. Sometimes they have a light magnetism. They do have substantial amounts of iron in the alloy. They also contain chrome and nickel and the 316 grade has molybdenum added for more corrosion resistance. 316 is usually more expensive than 304.

2. There are other grades of stainless available that are less corrosion resistant, more magnetic, and much stronger than 304 or 316.  The alloys are substantially different. This is why it is important to identify the grade of stainless used instead of just calling them stainless.

3.  304 and 316 can't be heated treated to improve strength and hardness.  They are much weaker than normal steel fasteners such as generic grade 3 and grades 5 which is even stronger.  

4.  304 and 316 can be strain hardened to substantially increase yield and tensile strength. This improved strength can be a bit more than double the strength of non strain hardened 304 & 316. This still means that they are weaker than steel fasteners especially SAE grade 5 which is commonly available.  ASTM 593 is a standard for strain hardened stainless fasteners.

5.  Fastenal had a guide book that explains all this and more and you should check it out to get a basic understanding of all the various markings on the fasteners and grades available.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks!
View Quote

In this thread....op asks another question that Google could easily provide an answer to, and then go on with life.

BTW....aluminum,  brass, and plastic are also not magnetic.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sharkman74:

you must be confusing stainless non ferrous with galvanized
View Quote
Stainless steels are ferrous. Never heard of referring to non-ferrous alloys as stainless.

Stainless steel derives from adding various metals to the steel to make it stainless.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762xIAN] [#26]
Originally Posted By ch1966:
You must learn its riddle, OP. You must learn its discipline. For no one...   no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
View Quote

The riddle of steel.

Attachment Attached File

OP should contemplate his lack of knowledge on the tree of woe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I kind of thought this was common knowledge?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#28]

This isn't true. Ferrous means iron. Steel is always an alloy of iron and some other trace materials. Therefore it's not possible to have a non-ferrous type of steel, stainless or otherwise.

My best guess is that the multiple people in this thread saying stainless steel is non-ferrous think non-ferrous means non-magnetic, which it doesn't.

View Quote
Thank you. Your annoyance produced that excellent first sentence which greatly relieved my annoyance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]

You serious Clark?

View Quote

Those are likely zinc plated steel bolts, not actual stainless.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:30:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#31]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to GD this and say holy fuck a lot of you don't know what you're talking about.

I'd put the magnetic part thing on a treadmill, then the bolts will probably stick
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:42:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#33]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Normal, but I wouldn’t use bolts I bought from Lowe’s on my boat.  
Get some from a real Marine store. You’ll thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#35]
The higher the grade of stainless the less or non magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#37]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
The higher the grade of stainless the less or non magnetic.
View Quote

That doesn't mean anything.

There isn't a "higher grade" of stainless....they have different properties and uses.  For example 440C is one of the strongest stainless steels, it can be hardened, and it always magnetic.  Do you want to make a spoon out of it?.....No.

Here's a very short rundown that should even work for GD's attention span:

https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.co.uk/is-stainless-steel-magnetic
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks!
View Quote

Trust the Science.....

Yes that is a thing OP, now you know how to test if that new stainless fridge is really stainless.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#40]

See, more of that knowledge and correction. Yes, I used 'non-ferrous' to mean non-magnetic vs having iron content. My mistake, thanks...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Ferromagnetic.

Non-ferrous means no iron content.

I like learning things. No shame in it. Only shame it staying ignorant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#41]
It's hilarious that so many think magnetic stainless is cheap shit. Wait until they try a magnet on their favorite stainless firearm.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
It's hilarious that so many think magnetic stainless is cheap shit. Wait until they try a magnet on their favorite stainless firearm.
View Quote

I think that’s a pretty common misconception. So is thinking stainless is really stainless, or cannot be magnetic.

17-4 is one of my favorite materials and I don’t think many would call it low grade. I have noticed that it is usually somewhat magnetic but heat treating changes that. 416 isn’t what I’d call low grade either but it sure as hell sticks to a magnet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll admit, I was probably in my late 20s before I realized stainless hardware was non magnetic or only very slightly magnetic.

I can't believe it took me that long to notice. It's sometimes a pain in the ass when I want to rely on a magnetic screwdriver tip to hold a fastener in an awkward position.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

My “ stainless  steel “ refrigerator holds magnets fine, and rusts like an old truck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#45]
When I'm buying bolts and screws at the flea market the sellers always think their stainless hardware is the most valuable stuff on the planet while I'm buying their grade 5 and 8 stuff for next to nothing. They often ask me why I don't want to buy the stainless. I have to explain that it's too expensive and only really useful for certain situations, and isn't particularly strong.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#46]
Crap 18-8, 304, 310, and 316 hardware won't be very magnetic if at all.  18-8 and 304 become "somewhat" magnetic due to cold working if not normalized or annealed after forming.  You can feel the magnetic attraction there, but it isn't very useful.  310 and 316 give much less magnetic response to cold working.  If you need the hardware to truly magnetic free, just anneal/normalize these grades of hardware - it doesn't really matter since they were never heat-treatable anyways.

Stronger 400-series hardware will be very magnetic.  These bolts are not going to be on your everyday hardware store shelf... usually they are machined (not formed) and specialty.  Like shoulder bolts, chicago screws, etc...

High strength A286 stainless (which is what I would be using for attaching the motor to a boat) is not magnetic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#47]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Crap 18-8, 304, 310, and 316 hardware won't be very magnetic if at all.  18-8 and 304 become "somewhat" magnetic due to cold working if not normalized or annealed after forming.  You can feel the magnetic attraction there, but it isn't very useful.  310 and 316 give much less magnetic response to cold working.  If you need the hardware to truly magnetic free, just anneal/normalize these grades of hardware - it doesn't really matter since they were never heat-treatable anyways.

Stronger 400-series hardware will be very magnetic.  These bolts are not going to be on your everyday hardware store shelf... usually they are machined (not formed) and specialty.  Like shoulder bolts, chicago screws, etc...

High strength A286 stainless (which is what I would be using for attaching the motor to a boat) is not magnetic.
View Quote

I'm sorry dude, but there is so much bad "information" in this shit show of a thread.  18-8 means basically 300 series, anything with approx 18% chromium and 8% nickel.  In other words all 304 is 18-8, but not all 18-8 is 304.

316 made to certain specs is implantable in your body.  I don't think you want a 17-4ph or 416 bone screw.  

It'd almost be better if they never came up with the term "stainless."  Again there are different uses for them all they aren't just "crap" because of the alloy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top