Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cavedog:

The lead is in the solder used to seal the vacuum.  It's at the outside bottom of the cup, under a sticker that says "Do NOT Remove."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Originally Posted By shack357:
Funny part is Stanley was sued recently because of lead in the cups. People are so scared of germs that they won't drink from a public fountain anymore but I guess lead poisoning is OK.

The lead is in the solder used to seal the vacuum.  It's at the outside bottom of the cup, under a sticker that says "Do NOT Remove."

The people who filed the lawsuit didn't care about that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Paul:
I don't get the Yeti/Salt Life/Stanley thing at all.
View Quote

Easy enough: gullible market meets expensive “luxury” product fueled by clever marketing = your money is gone, sucker.  

And as the icing on this shit cake, if you have any money left we will sell you a big sticker for the back window of your pickup truck to provide us with free advertising while as a byproduct, you’re telling the world how naive the driver is.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]

capitalism at its finest

i'll allow it

as for the lead thing -- through my childhood i handled lead figurines and lead bullets.  i'm still here 50 years later -- nobody ever confused me with Simple Jack

my dad was even a MD -- go figure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny part is Stanley was sued recently because of lead in the cups. People are so scared of germs that they won't drink from a public fountain anymore but I guess lead poisoning is OK.
View Quote

It not on anything that touches the liquid.  Something in the internal solder if I remember right.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
My 14yo daughter wanted one so we got her one for her birthday. It's a cup. I don't get the outrage. It's a fucking cup.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:21:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamel] [#7]
Clicked expecting to start a fight...realized wrong cup.

Anyway, got no beef with a section in a yearbook. (I went to high school during peak Z. Cavaricci, hypercolor and champion sweatshirts; JH was Skidz and yoyos)

20yrs from now old HS friends will flip through and say "remember how crazy we were over something so mundane" while sipping hard seltzer from the new tumbler/travel mug with stickers craze.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I heard the term Stanley Cup recently and thought someone was talking about hockey.

Someone gave me a Yeti coffee tumbler (is that the right term?) that I use because the other one from Target died one day when I was washing it.

In a recent trip to a relative's place I found out I'm not really into capitalism as much as they are.  I'm still throwing out the capitalism from my mother's place.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

For 2 years I thought "Salt Life" was referring to Bonneville.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

People are stupid - the lead was at the bottom, sealed the vacuum, and was generally inaccessible to the user unless you took the damn thing apart.

I participated in the YETI tumbler craze - it kept my coffee warm, the mag slide lid is awesomely convenient, and the whole thing was dishwasher safe. The last feature put it head and shoulders above the competition.
View Quote

I love my two yeti tumblers because they keep coffee hot and mixed drinks cold but they're not my personal identity and I don't carry them with me everywhere I go like a binky blanket.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
So… you are saying that most people who follow social media trends are retarded?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LDL7071:
Not all Stanley Cups

https://www.hhof.com/images_collection/stanleycup_clipped.jpg
View Quote

This is the only Stanley Cup.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing new, few years back everyone HAD TO HAVE YETI cups / coolers,  dumb as fuck to pay $60 for a metal cup or $300-$1000 for a fucking cooler.

Then the Chinese factories where YETI cups / coolers were made started releasing ozark trail 32oz vacuum cups for  $7.00 , and nice long lasting ozark trail coolers for $70-$150 depending on size , basically 50% or more  the cost of YETI items.

Yet many people still demanded YETI , for appearances sake, which might be great if the quality was much better, but not when it’s the exact same quality.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I might get a couple Stanley cups, but only after the generic, just as good versions show up for 25% the cost.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tacocat:
Drinking Fruitopia and having a bag of strawberry cream savers to share with the cute girls in class was peak 5th grade.  It was all down hill from there.
View Quote

How about drinking Surge or Orbitz and BANGING the cute girls in 11th grade? I think that was better than your example.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Nothing new, few years back everyone HAD TO HAVE YETI cups / coolers,  dumb as fuck to pay $60 for a metal cup or $300-$1000 for a fucking cooler.

Then the Chinese factories where YETI cups / coolers were made started releasing ozark trail 32oz vacuum cups for  $7.00 , and nice long lasting ozark trail coolers for $70-$150 depending on size , basically 50% or more  the cost of YETI items.

Yet many people still demanded YETI , for appearances sake, which might be great if the quality was much better, but not when it’s the exact same quality.
View Quote

I do believe that Yeti brand tumbler lids are significantly higher quality.  I have several Ozark Trail cups with Yeti lids on them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gilly:

I do believe that Yeti brand tumbler lids are significantly higher quality.  I have several Ozark Trail cups with Yeti lids on them.
View All Quotes

The fundamental problem with the mag slider is that if you're drinking anything with carbonation, it wants to pressurize the container without a relief valve. So either it bubbles, makes noise, and then spits all over when you open it, OR you leave it open and inevitably spill your drink while doing something.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]
For the first time in my life, I’m finally drinking enough water. The Stanley cups are just kinda the sweet spot for me.

Not sure why grown men are so butthurt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
GO CAPS!

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By baize82:
For the first time in my life, I’m finally drinking enough water. The Stanley cups are just kinda the sweet spot for me.

Not sure why grown men are so butthurt.
View Quote

I prefer the smaller 20 oz and just refill it more so I am not on my ass so much.  

Whatever you prefer... tumblers are great for those of us drinking enough water.  It's just a cup, don't get so worked up OP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257708/tk_jpg-3209460.JPG

I have several insulated cups from various manufacturers. I would rather a styrofoam cup so I can just toss it when I'm done and not remember to bring it in and then wash it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
Originally Posted By Echd:
Fads are fads

Post your trapper keeper, old man

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257708/tk_jpg-3209460.JPG

I have several insulated cups from various manufacturers. I would rather a styrofoam cup so I can just toss it when I'm done and not remember to bring it in and then wash it.

I see your trapper keeper and raise you a Pee Chee folder.

and even better, a Pee Chee shirt

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I think it's pretty harmless.
We all had something similar growing up.
Garbage Pale Kids, Cabbage Patch Kids, Pogs, Pokeman, trading cards, handheld video games, Furbies, Air Jordans, Tamagotchi...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

There are a LOT of mindless sheeple who follow any stupid trend that pops up on social media. Tide pods. Paying stupid prices for Von Dutch baseball caps. Financing $1k  Christian Loboutin shoes because, “ZOMG, red soles are the new hotness!”

Oh, what about the short lived trend of those stupid big, red Mickey Mouse looking clown shoes?

Social media is a fucking cancer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Neva been dun befoe

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#25]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

There are a LOT of mindless sheeple who follow any stupid trend that pops up on social media. Tide pods. Paying stupid prices for Von Dutch baseball caps. Financing $1k  Christian Loboutin shoes because, “ZOMG, red soles are the new hotness!”

Oh, what about the short lived trend of those stupid big, red Mickey Mouse looking clown shoes?

View All Quotes

fucking boomers
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Not all Stanley Cups

View Quote
Since Gen Z brain rot was mentioned in the thread title I peeked in here expecting this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
If I open it, all the pogs will spill out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
Originally Posted By Echd:
Fads are fads

Post your trapper keeper, old man
If I open it, all the pogs will spill out.

And 1987 Topps Baseball cards
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Not all Stanley Cups

View Quote

The greatest trophy in all of sports.

Let’s go Rangers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

For 2 years I thought "Salt Life" was referring to Bonneville.
View Quote

I just see "shit life"...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

I have a bunch of lids from temu/Ali and some lids are as good as yeti and some are definitely lower quality.  No way to know until you order them and try them out.  Return policy is pretty simple though and if the product isn't good, they just refund and tell me to throw the cheap lids away.  Have to watch the mag imported mag sliders though as they sometimes get the magnets wrong and they repel instead of clinging.

What really blows people's minds is an unbranded painted yeti knockoff with the Stanley logo laser etched onto it.  Everyone that sees it asks me where I got it and I just tell them it was a short run only available at bucees or something not around my area.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I was hoping this was a Hockey thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Remember when people went nuts over LT "Dillo" beverage opening devices?

No different.

Marketing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of you guys crack me up.  You all remind me of my dad who is like 68 years old and has never owned an insulated metal water bottle because they cost more than $5 at Menards.  I'm not crazy about the Yeti "lifestyle" brands but I shelled out $30-$40 for one and it's been one of the best things I've ever bought.  Keeps ice in my drink for like 48 hours.  Tumbler keeps my coffee warm all morning.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By deschutes541:

Fruitopia? You must be some Millennial.

Gen X only ever drank out of water hoses. WATER HOSES!
View Quote

There was also a water fountain at my school. It didn't have any filters or motion sensors. And unlike the booma generation we let the minority kids drink from it too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh man Gen Z made it trendy to drink water and stay hydrated, the country is doomed!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#37]

People are stupid - the lead was at the bottom, sealed the vacuum, and was generally inaccessible to the user unless you took the damn thing apart.

I participated in the YETI tumbler craze - it kept my coffee warm, the mag slide lid is awesomely convenient, and the whole thing was dishwasher safe. The last feature put it head and shoulders above the competition.
View All Quotes

I resisted for a long time thinking the difference in prices couldn't be justified. The fuck it can't. Yeti or bust!

I've never had a Stanley and won't... but I have a bunch of Yetis and even paid $75 for a discontinued color that went perfectly with my Boochizmo Goys stickers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I might get a couple Stanley cups, but only after the generic, just as good versions show up for 25% the cost.
View Quote

I'm gonna get one and run it over with a pickup, and have a Flat Stanley.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#39]
The kindergarten students at my kids' school all demanded them after their siblings got them. It's both hilarious and sad to see some little 6yo trying to carry a backpack, a laptop bag, and a 30oz cup to the bus stop. They'll drop the laptop before the cup.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1776:
Oh man Gen Z made it trendy to drink water and stay hydrated, the country is doomed!
View Quote

GD: Why all the boomer hate?

Also GD: Got dayum zoomers thinking they should stay hydrated!

@JLPettimoreIII
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I went from being anti-yeti to having like 15 yeti cups of different sizes after I was gifted one.

Not saying they are better than the copies. But I enjoy them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#42]
The whole marketing to idle suburban females angle has me thinking.

Take the old suede clad 70s wine bag on a strap thing, update it with a Nalgene liner, closed cell insulation, a high denier Cordura cover, and a super ballistic woven Kevlar quick release strap with tactical loop things along its length, color it dark purple, market it as the Eggplant.

Do ad placements on The View: just a 20 second spot with a black male actor refreshing a white OEM female atop one of the landmarks in Monument Valley with an Eggplant ought to do it.

Within a week, the bimbos will be wrecking their Yukons into each other at Target parking lots across the land in their haste to get an Eggplant.

Six months in, Arfcom will be arguing over the merits of an Eggplant v. Ozark Ridge’s  Big Pink

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Yet here you are utilizing a social media platform.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By chodenut:
WTF is fruitopia?

You had vending machines in your cafeteria?

Musta been a fancy school...
View Quote

Just one that sold out to "big cola"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

aluminum cans with pop tops son
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#46]
WTF is fruitopia?

You had vending machines in your cafeteria?

Musta been a fancy school...
View Quote

We had a whole wall of vending machines in the cafeteria but could not use them during lunch. I never understood that logic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#47]
We also had everything you mention, besides the vending and fruitopia...

we had guns in our cars to go dove hunting after school...

beverages were water fountain, skim, whole, and chocolate.  Some rich kids got a lunch pass to drive to mcdonalds for lunch.

View Quote

LMAO rich kids. We just left & came back.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Vote4Cthulhu:
In my AO Stanleys tend to be in the hands of elder millennial and Gen X housewives far more than Gen Z. But aye man it's your hate thread, you do you.
View Quote

40 year old house wife shit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NewCo32:
I grew up drinking water from a garden hose. We are not the same.
View Quote

No indoor plumbing?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I did Tuesday cause I was covered in grass and didn't want to track it in my house
Page / 3
Top Top