BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CMOS:

How do Tankless compare to Tank, as far as long term reliability?

CMOS
View Quote

In theory….they should last a bit longer. In reality, about the same. With soft water, both tank and tankless will last much longer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Yes.  Sure it can be cleaned but who actually bothers to do that?  

Tankless water heaters don't save money.  They save space.
View Quote

Ummm....I do.  I clean mine once a year, and it is super simple.

People also neglect traditional tank style heaters as well, so I understand.

I love tankless, and gas fired heat.....ahhh.  Those are must haves for me in any home moving forward.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
OP - look into ICF construction.  Insulated Concrete Forms.  The R value is insane, it can go up fast if the footprint is simple, and you've got a "bulletproof" house.  Not necessarily cheap but if you can put the forms up and pour them yourself it would save quite a bit.  The key is to have many hands on deck, and shore corners so you don't have any  blowouts during the pour.  You'll also want to vibrate from the inside (I think you can rent the tool, it's an immersion style vibration directly into the concrete) and not just on the outside of the forms.  Costs up front may not be worth what you save in utilities if you don't plan to be there over 10 years or so....
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Do you mind sending me an IM to tell me where this is?  I'd like to take a look.

CMOS
View Quote

I messaged you. Sorry for the delay.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You might consider a Quonset hut home on a slab.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
You might consider a Quonset hut home on a slab.
https://www.steelmasterusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/5a419802.f10.webp
View Quote

Any idea of the cost/sq-FT for that type of construction?

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Any idea of the cost/sq-FT for that type of construction?

CMOS
View Quote

Hard to insulate effectively. Terrible resale value. Poor use of space. Harder to frame the inside. Hard to keep from leaking.

I wouldn’t go that route. Those style buildings are nice for open storage of stuff you are trying to keep out of the weather.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]
How much is in your 401k?  Don't answer.  Read up on the rule of 55.

How much in investments and liquid assets do you have?  Don't answer that either.

If these things are substantial, go see a wealth manager.  I should have done this sooner, but still ended up in pretty good shape from making solid investments.

I am retiring this year at 59, most likely. I could have retired last year.  A work at home gig a friend is running is coming up on the market soon, that could be pretty sweet, so that may change.  (Also I are a tech/high-tech/engineering dude.)
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#9]
it doesn't matter how well you protect your water line to the house, the water supplier will put the meter barely below ground;
yes, it sometimes has a risk of freezing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
RV w/ full Thousand Trails membership bought out of an estate.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Medical. Most people dont think abiut this but you don't  want to be too far from emergency and long term care medical. It all costs a ton of money too...
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Voland:
Medical. Most people dont think abiut this but you don't  want to be too far from emergency and long term care medical. It all costs a ton of money too...
View Quote

This is another reason why I'm going for the "low cost living" route.  All I need is about 800 sq/ft and I'm good.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]

This is another reason why I'm going for the "low cost living" route.  All I need is about 800 sq/ft and I'm good.

CMOS
View Quote

Made any decisions yet?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Made any decisions yet?
View Quote

Nowhere near ready to do that.  Still gathering information.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Is 59 early retirement?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Is 59 early retirement?
View Quote

The current "Full Retirment Age" to collect social security is 67 years old. You could consider anything less than age 67 as early retirement.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top