Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2023 2:55:30 PM EDT
A very close friend of mine's son is graduating as a State Trooper in a very hot and dusty state.  Any recommendations on a graduation gift for him?  Let's say something in the $500 and under range.  Doesn't have to use the whole budget but I'd like it to be meaningful and useful to a brand new State Trooper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Gift card to Dunkin Donuts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm just going to list the stuff my mom ever bought my dad, that I can remember:

- Nice Boots
- Nice hat
- Boot knife, for stabbing
- Boot / backup gun
- Court room attire
- Search gloves
- Flash light / torches
- Coffee mugs, thermos
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Professional Liability Insurance
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
How about some engraved Cross pens to take notes with.

A nice blade, if authorized.

A gym membership.

Bitchin sunglasses.

A trip to a good shooting school.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
A Citizen Men's Thin Blue Line Watch Chronograph 200M WR Eco Drive CA0291-59E. You can get the back engraved with his trooper number or grad number are what ever. I was gifted one and love it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#7]
This isn't expensive however it was one of the best things ever given to me: A Streamlight handcuff key with light. Also look into a nice LED flashlight maybe 6-8" in length but powerful, the brighter the better. Again look at Streamlight rechargeables
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VM2PA?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I would stay away from anything the grad will have to size in order to wear (ie shoes) since those types of things are very subjective.

If you want it to be a practical gift I would say get him a really nice multi-tool or even a good utility knife. Another idea would be a good set of binoculars.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd vote Vortex ranging binos.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Engraved pocket knife would be a nice gesture, and useful.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Hooked & Blow?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Something small and meaningful like an engraved pocket knife or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By srogers:
Professional Liability Insurance
View Quote

This is the first thing that came to mind.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Turtle Behind The Wheel by FredMan, on Flickr

Or

PM 2 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Get him a big-assed flashlight. 3-cell D or C cell light, short enough to be handy and long enough to be authoritative in combat. IMO a big light in use during, say, a traffic stop is far more intimidating than a palm-sized AA light, and therefore actually prevents an escalation of force.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I was a flashlight geek. A trooper needs decent and reliable lights.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The good old Maglite  upgraded with Malkoff lamp and Nimh or LI batteries is a great road tool. A big tool swinging from a belt holster like a nightstick still has the same effect  on others.Of course there are plenty of pocket lights that are just as good for lighting, but they arent so good at  defending.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Get him a big-assed flashlight. 3-cell D or C cell light, short enough to be handy and long enough to be authoritative in combat. IMO a big light in use during, say, a traffic stop is far more intimidating than a palm-sized AA light, and therefore actually prevents an escalation of force.
View Quote

That’s exactly why we were not allowed to carry them. Choking people out and splitting heads open.  Stream light makes a good alternative for light.  Recharge in car and at home.  My son got me a an engraved Kershaw knife, with my name on it for being in his wedding party.  Has my first and last name on the blade.  Kershaw speed knife?  Great knife and handy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By metalmelter:
A very close friend of mine's son is graduating as a State Trooper in a very hot and dusty state.  Any recommendations on a graduation gift for him?  Let's say something in the $500 and under range.  Doesn't have to use the whole budget but I'd like it to be meaningful and useful to a brand new State Trooper.
View Quote

https://www.epicmilitaria.com/german-ww2-militaria/helmets-caps/combat-jack-boots.html
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Amazon inflatable Garage.

They can inflate it on shift somewhere, park inside hide and chill in peace.  Deflate ..repeat.

They will thanks you in 20 in years
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 217] [#21]
I vote for nice Cross pens.

Those are what have stayed with me of all the gifts I got at graduation.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#22]
So what did you get him? A pair of crocs and a teddy bear?
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Most used gift a got was a pair of Oakley’s.  Things are almost a decade old and are finally about worn out.  I set glasses for work and a clear set for the range would be used for years to come.  After that I’d go with a good multi tool or one of the slimmer G-shocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top