Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Not saying you are wrong, but I lived in Dayton most of my adult life.  I have been to many, many gun shows at Hara Arena and spent hours there each time.  Never once heard a shot go off…

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
thats a typical transaction with joe public at gun shows back in the day. nothing out of the ordinary really.

my craziest stories of being a gun show vendor during the hay day are as follows...

sometime before obama took office not sure what year it was for a date exactly but a lady that im almost 100% certain was diane fienstien walks into hara arena dayton ohio bill goodman gunshow and looks over my tables of ak parts and says...

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!! i just looked at her silently then looked over my tables then back at her and said what? then she let out another big terror voiced... HOW COULD YOU? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!! again i repeated the same looked over my tables and said what! what? she got closer to my face and said YOU! LOOK AT ALL THIS!!! something to the effect of i was a bad person yadda yadda yadda.

she had 2 guys following her around in plain clothes they must have been her security detail they were silent the whole time and both stood about 6 to 8 feet back one on each side of her. i looked at them and the one guy just smiled real big. lol. they both stuck out like a sore thumb because she came when the show was dead and almost nobody around.

they all walked on to harrass other vendors and later on the gun show came under a devoted attack by ny gov bloomberg and goodman was forced to stop selling guns at show unless ffl. i just did parts and accys so was unaffected but the guns kept going off inside show almost every other show is why i quit. it just got too hot.

at that same show i have enough stories to write a book and all my gunshows combined i could write an awe inspiring archive. ive seen so many atf entraptment operations i could write a book just on that topic. ive had some rather unusual interactions with all types.

some of the craziest stories come from outdoor events of course. ive pretty much seen it all feels like. definitely watch your 6 and assume nothing. joe public can get real. like quick! im going to stop there while im ahead. enough said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in the 80's I worked part-time in a moderately successful gunshop/range. The guy who managed the business was a sterotypical 80's yuppie, full-on with that lifestyle. He didn't really know anything about guns, but had been a successful manager at one of the owner's other businesses.

He always had the designer clothes, hairstyle, car, etc, and when an interesting gun came into the shop, he would buy it for himself, trying to improve his credibility with the customer base (a lot of Vietnam era ex-mil guys) by talking up whatever was hot in the gun mags.

Guess his life wasn't going well because one evening he decided to off himself in a park in a ritzy part of the city. Sat down on a bench, stuck a shotgun in his mouth, and that was that.

It made the morning news. By that afternoon customers were calling and asking when we would be selling his gun collection and could they have first dibs on "x".  No one offered condolences, no one asked what caused it, of the 40 calls or so I took later that day, all they wanted to know was when his collection would be up for sale.

No one ever said "sorry to hear that" or anything positive about the guy from that point forward.

No idea what happened to the collection. And yes, one guy did ask if we would be getting the shotgun he used.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:

Part store clerk: Four cylinder or six cylinder engine?

Customer: I dunno, how do you tell the difference?
View Quote

Customer: “I need a starter for a 95 Olds”

Parts guy: “an Olds what?”

Customer “mobile”
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

I had a couple of custom S-10s where it was like that. I used various GM parts from the 80s and 90s and had to learn driveline options so I could get the right parts. My friends and I used to go to junk yards to check out old cars and hypothesize about what we could swap in what for fun. One of them ended up the store manager at our local Auto Zone.
View Quote

And that's the thing the non-car-guys at the parts stores aren't ready for.

I brought a belt- one the right width and profile, but wasn't long enough for my application. I just needed one ~4" longer. None of my shit is stock, and even though there's a stock application that might work I don't know what it's stock for. My 351W-based engine night have come from a '93 F150 for all I know.

"I need a belt with this profile that's 54 inches" is too much for some counter guys to process.

I had to coach a guy: "go to where the accessory belts are. Find the rack where they're x-wide, with this profile. Now, look at the length. One will have 52-56" or something like that."
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

I brought a belt- one the right width and profile, but wasn't long enough for my application. I just needed one ~4" longer. None of my shit is stock, and even though there's a stock application that might work I don't know what it's stock for. My 351W-based engine night have come from a '93 F150 for all I know.

"I need a belt with this profile that's 54 inches" is too much for some counter guys to process.

I had to coach a guy: "go to where the accessory belts are. Find the rack where they're x-wide, with this profile. Now, look at the length. One will have 52-56" or something like that."
View Quote

Same thing for hoses when running different radiators or trans coolers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

The douchebag was Rich Wyatt, former owner of Gunsmoke Guns in Wheat Ridge, CO, former star of American Guns, former and still self-promoting egomaniacal douchefag, former (and probably current) scam artist, convicted felon, and father of a girl with a very impressive neck who I'm not going to drag any further into this because none of us really choose our parents.

(and yes, I do personally know the cocksucker well enough to say that about him. Although calling him a cocksucker seems like it would be very disrespectful to the men who fix our affordable Korean automobiles.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cpermd:
Originally Posted By countryflatlander:
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:  Let me guess, 87 blown-up photos in the store of the owner humping various people's legs and one sitting on a Harley with his then-wife?

If so, the part where your story breaks down is with that tiresome nutsack suggesting a gun that isn't a 1911 with shitty engraving. Although the rest sounds exactly like the crap he'd do.

You forgot the giraffe.

You are, of course, correct. IYKYK.

What the heck was that guy and girl's name?

The douchebag was Rich Wyatt, former owner of Gunsmoke Guns in Wheat Ridge, CO, former star of American Guns, former and still self-promoting egomaniacal douchefag, former (and probably current) scam artist, convicted felon, and father of a girl with a very impressive neck who I'm not going to drag any further into this because none of us really choose our parents.

(and yes, I do personally know the cocksucker well enough to say that about him. Although calling him a cocksucker seems like it would be very disrespectful to the men who fix our affordable Korean automobiles.)

@LittlePony
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

@LittlePony
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cpermd:
Originally Posted By countryflatlander:
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:  Let me guess, 87 blown-up photos in the store of the owner humping various people's legs and one sitting on a Harley with his then-wife?

If so, the part where your story breaks down is with that tiresome nutsack suggesting a gun that isn't a 1911 with shitty engraving. Although the rest sounds exactly like the crap he'd do.

You forgot the giraffe.

You are, of course, correct. IYKYK.

What the heck was that guy and girl's name?

@LittlePony

@centrarchidae

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Same thing for hoses when running different radiators or trans coolers.
View Quote

That happened to me after doing a body lift (the radiator went up 2" but the engine didn't). I brought my hose in and said I need one that's 2" higher at a certain bend, can I look at what you have? The parts counter guy was cool with it and walked me to the back and said, "look around and bring it up front if you find it". I did.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lapp_Dance] [#9]
Had a shop in Wichita Falls try to charge me tax on a pistol I had already paid for and simply was transferring through them (the shop). Went so far as to ask what I paid so they knew how much tax to charge me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mattdoc] [#10]
The range by me, for reasons stated previously, has rules for rental guns. They have cool stuff, too - everything from a Glock 19 to full auto MP5SD. you can't rent a gun from them unless 1)you have a gun with you, or 2) you've rented a gun from them before.  

So if you're going there to off yourself, you have to buy, not rent, which presumably takes longer and requires passing a background check.

Do rental places run a NICS check on the renter?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jayne_Cobb] [#11]
Originally Posted By mattdoc:
Do rental places run a NICS check on the renter?
View Quote

Certainly not up front. They do log who attends, so they could check after the fact, but I suppose, by procedure alone, a prohibited person could rent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dumak:
This is the weirdest story I have, but it wasn't at a gun store.

I was working at a sportsball and comic shop in a mall in NE IL in the early 90's.  

A woman came in, asked to see a Bret Saberhagen card.  Then she pops out a contact lens and starts cleaning it on the display case and using the card to keep it suspended in the solution she is squirting out all over it and the case.  Then she puts the contact lens back in her eye and walks out and tosses the card into a trash can on her way out.

We were all standing there like WTF.  

View Quote

I taught his “love child” one year. He had not publicly acknowledged her at the time.

She was a sweet girl, and one of my 6th grade math students. One day she has on her desk two baseball cards. Kinda odd for a gymnast.

“Sweetie, why do you have two Brent Saberhagen cards on your desk?”

She looks up as says, “He’s my daddy. They are for some friends at the gymn.”

Sure enough, they were autographed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimEb:

Bet every type of store experiences this type of customer.    I can see an auto parts place getting a call “I need an oil filter for my blue car”
…whats the year, make and model?

I've run into the exact opposite. Come in with the part number off the auto parts store website and had parts guys either argue with me or refuse to put the number in.

I've been in maintenance both aviation and fleet for almost 25 years. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I need and how to look the proper part number up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
From behind the counter.  I customer comes in with a Rem 870 TAC-14.  He is an older man late 60s-early 70s I would guess.  Thin build.  His 870 is for home defense.  He tells me he got it at our store and he is not happy the Magpul forend does not have MLOK slots.  His must have been an early version that had slots but a different width.  We had a new gun on the wall and he wanted us to remove the new forend from our gun and change it with his at no charge because he needed the MLOK slots to mount his light and laser.  His gun had a side saddle and red dot on the receiver if I remember right.  I told him he could call Remington and they would probably send him the correct one.  That was not good enough as he needed it now since it was his defense gun.    I could not believe that he thought we owed him the newest version.  He had owned the gun a while and at the time that was the only forend being used.  When he saw that I was not going to change it he said he was going to sue  the store.  I asked if he was an attorney and he said no.  I couldn't take anymore so I sent him to a manager.  I think they ended up ordering him a handguard and changing it for him no charge.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lexington:
I owned a gun store a long time ago. I had an off-duty cop come in with his girlfriend. He handled a Glock 22 and asked me, "I know this is a Glock, but how come the barrel (as visible from the chamber port) says forty SMITH and WESSON?"

I had a lady come in to return a Taurus .357 revolver. She explained that her husband bought it to kill himself but "he feels much better now." She asked to return the gun for a refund. Cha-ching! Here you go.
View Quote

Grew up loving guns in a non-gun family. Try to figure out what ACP means as in .45 ACP in the days before the damned internet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CryptoMan] [#16]
Originally Posted By Bashby:

Customer “mobile”
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bashby:

Customer “mobile”

I will say the customer could provide a bit more complete information.  The brand Oldsmobile hasn't been made in 20 years.  I can't remember the last time I saw a Oldsmobile on the road.  The parts guy may not even know what an "Olds" is.

To me it the about the same thing as a customer going into a gun and asking for a Bren or Brenten.  Unless the clerk has been around awhile or are 10mm fan, they may not have any idea what the customer is talking about
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:
In another life I worked the gun counter at big box retail for 5 years.

Over the years I had lots of different and interesting encounters.  Some were good, some were sad, others were funny and down right WTF

One week day afternoon it was dead, and only a few people in the store.  A guy comes in and I ask him if I can help him with anything. He doesn't say anything.  He spends a few minutes looking at the 1911's.  All he sudden he looks at me and says "Wilson"  I am thinking WTF.  We didn't have any employees that worked there names Wilson.  I ask him what he means and says Wilson just louder this time. I stated again that I don't understand what he wants.  He just looks at me and says "Wilson Combat do you sell them?"  I said no we didn't carry that brand.  He turns and walks away. Just weird over all.

Got cussed out a few times because I wouldn't give a person a discount or haggle with a customer over price.  You can ask but don't get mad if I say no.  Don't like the price then go somewhere else.

Plenty of unloaded loaded gun pointed in my direction.  I got yelled at one time because the guy took it as an insult that I checked the chamber after he was muzzle sweeping me.  Turns out it was loaded... Of course he didn't know how it got that way

What stories do you have
View Quote

Delete the post and go back and join 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Go to the grocery store worker and say, "bread." He'll think you're nuts, too.
View All Quotes

No, it has to be a name, like "Sara Lee"?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#20]
Asking someone if they need help and getting silence in return is really strange. Do people think it makes them come across as cool? Can they not look and speak at the same time? It's weird. I've had people say nothing for like ten seconds, so long I nearly walked away.

Don't forget the brands, folks!
Rugger
Smith and Weston
Walter
Sig Sawyer

And yes, the number of people who don't know what gun they have but want a holster, ammo or a magazine for it is astounding.

A million straw purchase stories.

And somebody must have recently made a YouTube video on how great the 357 SIG is, because this last week we've had a bunch of people asking about it like it's some new wonder caliber just introduced.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
Back in the 80's I worked part-time in a moderately successful gunshop/range. The guy who managed the business was a sterotypical 80's yuppie, full-on with that lifestyle. He didn't really know anything about guns, but had been a successful manager at one of the owner's other businesses.

He always had the designer clothes, hairstyle, car, etc, and when an interesting gun came into the shop, he would buy it for himself, trying to improve his credibility with the customer base (a lot of Vietnam era ex-mil guys) by talking up whatever was hot in the gun mags.

Guess his life wasn't going well because one evening he decided to off himself in a park in a ritzy part of the city. Sat down on a bench, stuck a shotgun in his mouth, and that was that.

It made the morning news. By that afternoon customers were calling and asking when we would be selling his gun collection and could they have first dibs on "x".  No one offered condolences, no one asked what caused it, of the 40 calls or so I took later that day, all they wanted to know was when his collection would be up for sale.

No one ever said "sorry to hear that" or anything positive about the guy from that point forward.

No idea what happened to the collection. And yes, one guy did ask if we would be getting the shotgun he used.
View Quote
A very similar guy (well-dressed, nice hair, etc.) started a gun shop near me.  He ended up driving out to a nice scenic mountain range nearby and shooting himself in the head.  His business partner declared bankruptcy.  

So many gun shops go under all the time.  One nearby the owner was nearly in tears a few months ago saying "I don't need any more Tauruses, I need stuff I can sell."  He was complaining about how the distributor wasn't giving him good allocations.  That shop was gone, they dragged out the inevitable for a while.  

There's been at least 5 within 5 miles in the last 20 years that have gone under.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Asking someone if they need help and getting silence in return is really strange. Do people think it makes them come across as cool? Can they not look and speak at the same time? It's weird. I've had people say nothing for like ten seconds, so long I nearly walked away.

Don't forget the brands, folks!
Rugger
Smith and Weston
Walter
Sig Sawyer

And yes, the number of people who don't know what gun they have but want a holster, ammo or a magazine for it is astounding.

A million straw purchase stories.

And somebody must have recently made a YouTube video on how great the 357 SIG is, because this last week we've had a bunch of people asking about it like it's some new wonder caliber just introduced.
View Quote
Another one:  Smithfield.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I worked at the gun counter at a new Cabela's store as a part time job for a couple of years, until the spring before the sale to bass pro became official. Most of the others who started with me got hired at the new fleet farm gun counter after the sale.

Anyway, nothing too significant. Kind of a chuckle when everyone was trying to figure out what to say when the first obvious to everyone straw purchase attempt happened. It was simply denied in the end, and we even went so far as to send a pic of the straw purchaser to other gun stores in the area.
Then the straw purchaser came back the next day and asked why it was denied. It was pointed out what she was doing was a felony. She left real quick.

Then there was the group of wanna be gang bangers came in looking for an extended magazine for their pistol. They had no idea what the gun was, and they finally got someone to send a pic of it.
It was a browning hi power with the French engraving.
We didn't have anything for that pistol, but all the extended mags were pro mags anyway.

On a more positive note, I did show many weak handed shooters how to open the slide with both hands instead of just pulling on it. I think some husbands were disappointed about not getting to buy a revolver...

Employee discount made many purchases reasonable, especially the employee only rack in the back of the store where damaged ammo boxes and opened good were sold only to employees.

A few used guns in the back too, waiting for room on the display racks. We had to pay full price though, but some had excellent prices. Gun vault retardism works both ways sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:11:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio] [#24]
Originally Posted By -kujo-:
Not saying you are wrong, but I lived in Dayton most of my adult life.  I have been to many, many gun shows at Hara Arena and spent hours there each time.  Never once heard a shot go off…

View Quote

I have.
It gets real quiet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

I have.
It gets real quiet.
View All Quotes

I have.
It gets real quiet.

A retired 5th Special Forces Group Chief Warrant Officer turned FFL/gun trainer fired off a round from his carry piece into the floor and another vendor at a Goodman show in Nashville 15-20 years ago. He was clearing the gun before the show opened and kept his finger on the trigger, apparently. The round ricocheted off the tile and hit the lay in the gut. She went to the hospital and he went home for good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]

I have.
It gets real quiet.
View All Quotes

I have.
It gets real quiet.

Yup. Was at a show in TX where some dipshit set off a .22 into the floor:

(noise of a hundreds of people talking, probably the tazer vendor clicking away)

"POP!"

(silence for about 5 seconds)

(screams and yelling)

Apparently it fragmented on the floor and hit some
poor uninvolved chick in the foot.

I haven't worked the counter for real, I have been back there setting up security systems before.

I have seen some good ones: People getting tossed from the store because they reek of weed or booze. The guy who comes in and looks at a pistol, and comes back a few hours or a day later with his girl who tries to buy the same pistol. Crazy homeless people, one time this dude who looks like the wild man of Borneo comes in with a set of wind chimes (no doubt stolen from a nearby porch) "what'll you gimme for these?!?" People who swear up and down they aren't prohibited, yet fail the bg.

My favorite LGS doesn't do any "first responder" or .mil discounts. Some of the responses when the owner (a veteran and former LEO) says "every one pays the same price here" are quite risible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By flynbenny:

(noise of a hundreds of people talking, probably the tazer vendor clicking away)

"POP!"

(screams and yelling)

I haven't worked the counter for real, I have been back there setting up security systems before.

I have seen some good ones: People getting tossed from the store because they reek of weed or booze. The guy who comes in and looks at a pistol, and comes back a few hours or a day later with his girl who tries to buy the same pistol. Crazy homeless people, one time this dude who looks like the wild man of Borneo comes in with a set of wind chimes (no doubt stolen from a nearby porch) "what'll you gimme for these?!?" People who swear up and down they aren't prohibited, yet fail the bg.

My favorite LGS doesn't do any "first responder" or .mil discounts. Some of the responses when the owner (a veteran and former LEO) says "every one pays the same price here" are quite risible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flynbenny:
Originally Posted By -kujo-:  Not saying you are wrong, but I lived in Dayton most of my adult life.  I have been to many, many gun shows at Hara Arena and spent hours there each time.  Never once heard a shot go off…

I have.
It gets real quiet.

"POP!"

(screams and yelling)

It was a 9mm or .223.  Young lady lost her toe.

The dipshit was the vendor (promptly banned) that had testfired his guns, left a loaded round in the chamber w/ the hammer cocked in an AR, and tied the charging handle shut.  Young punter pointed the gun at the floor, thankfully, flipped the safety off & pulled the trigger.  Bullet skittered across the floor, I watched her fall.  @RebleYell donated bandages that day.  His wife handed me a tourniquet.  Now I always carry one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:16:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RevolverRO] [#28]

View All Quotes

I had a couple of custom S-10s where it was like that. I used various GM parts from the 80s and 90s and had to learn driveline options so I could get the right parts. My friends and I used to go to junk yards to check out old cars and hypothesize about what we could swap in what for fun. One of them ended up the store manager at our local Auto Zone.

I have a 1967 Kaiser M715 (military version of the full size Jeep truck). It had a 6 cylinder tornado engine replaced with a salvaged 350 small block Chevy motor from a mid 1970’s Caprice. Auto parts counter guys can’t even get a category for a stock 1967 Kaiser. I keep boxflaps from all the AC Delco filters, belts, plugs etc because their heads explode when  I try to explain  ‘Kaiser’ made Jeeps before Chrysler/AMC and that mine has a GM V8 in it.  “B-b-but Jeeps don’t have GM engines.”

Dude, I’d bet even money that  somewhere on the planet you can find ANY make and model of car/truck that someone has put an either a SBC or a 302 Ford motor in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
Had a shop in Wichita Falls try to charge me tax on a pistol I had already paid for and simply was transferring through them (the shop). Went so far as to ask what I paid so they knew how much tax to charge me.
View Quote

Marksmen? Or which?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

I already told my story of a guy looking for a front sight for his “30-06”.  

Bet every type of store experiences this type of customer.    I can see an auto parts place getting a call “I need an oil filter for my blue car”
…whats the year, make and model?

“God damn you dumb!!! I already told you.  Its a BLUE CAR!!!!”
View Quote

a friend of mine used to run a Nationwise Auto Parts store. he knew my car as well as I did, so I would go in and ask him for a distributor cap for a white car. it was mirthful.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:

I have a 1967 Kaiser M715 (military version of the full size Jeep truck). It had a 6 cylinder tornado engine replaced with a salvaged 350 small block Chevy motor from a mid 1970’s Caprice. Auto parts counter guys can’t even get a category for a stock 1967 Kaiser. I keep boxflaps from all the AC Delco filters, belts, plugs etc because their heads explode when  I try to explain  ‘Kaiser’ made Jeeps before Chrysler/AMC and that mine has a GM V8 in it.  “B-b-but Jeeps don’t have GM engines.”

Dude, I’d bet even money that  somewhere on the planet you can find ANY make and model of car/truck that someone has put an either a SBC or a 302 Ford motor in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:

I inherited my dad's 66 wagoneer. It has a 327/350 turbo/ gear drive transfer. When I get to that one,it'll be lots of fun. 🙄
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Or you tell the parts clerk it's a 4 Liter engine and they bring out a part for a 4 cylinder engine.(Ranger 4L, 3L, or 4 cylinder)
Roy
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rdsr:

Or you tell the parts clerk it's a 4 Liter engine and they bring out a part for a 4 cylinder engine.(Ranger 4L, 3L, or 4 cylinder)
Roy
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rdsr:

Roy

"I need three feet of 3/8" fuel hose."

"What year, make, and model?"

"1956 Herkimer Battle Jitney. Just go back there and peek off three feet of hose."
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DarthGrind:

"I need three feet of 3/8" fuel hose."

"What year, make, and model?"

"1956 Herkimer Battle Jitney. Just go back there and peek off three feet of hose."
View Quote

There are several different types of bulk 3/8 fuel hose. The high pressure stuff ain’t cheap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
What if he had walked up to the counter and blurted out "Colt"? How would that have been any more clear?
View Quote

I would just ask him if he was looking for his horse.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#36]
originally Posted By rdsr:

Roy
View Quote

Ford PIU.    "It's got a cop motor, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks."  (Elwood Blues 1980)

It's not an Explorer, it's a PIU, and it has the same 3.7L motor as a Mustang.

I look up the part number I need before I set foot in the parts store.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Strangely has nothing to do with guns, but is from behind the gun counter and the ATF and FBI were involved.
I worked in the sporting goods department of wally world on Peach St. in Erie PA in the early 2000's. Lots of insanity there.
Some of you may be familiar with a bank robbery involving a pizza guy and a collar...device... in 2003.
Some time after; an FBI and ATF agent came in to talk to some of the employees. They asked a few odd questions about non-sporting goods purchases that we rang up, if I remembered anyone strange or unusual. You know, the normal investigatory questions.
When I was absolutely no help (it was a VERY busy store at the time), they did tell us (me and a couple of other SG people) that some of the 'materials' used in the case came through my sporting goods register. At this point I can't remember what all they told us. I just remember being really disappointed that I couldn't help in any way because I felt so bad for the dead pizza guy. Which, we now know he was a fellow conspirator...
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

Damn, you've been a member for 49 months and this is where you choose to make your first post? You've really been waiting to tell that story. LOL
View Quote

Okay-THAT was funny.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:
I have never worked at a gun store, but spend way too much time in them. The LGS nearest me is excellent. Great guys, helpful....they had one condescending prick and he was gone in about a week.

I was in there one day buying a case of .45....I was paying at the counter, and a youngster employee was getting ready to carry it to my truck for me, when this youngish guy walks in, all dressed in black. Black boots, pants, shirt, and black brimmed Indiana Jones type hat. He is wearing a duty rig with a Glock and AT LEAST 6 magazines on the belt. He walks in, and stands at the entrance just staring. He honestly looked like he was on the line at an IDPA match waiting for the beep. He stands like that for probably a full minute.

Everyone that noticed him kinda fell back to cover/concealment and just waited.  One of the employees (maybe the owner, I don't remember) asks him if he needs anything. The guy just turns around and leaves. Nothing happened.....but bizarre.
View Quote

I wonder if he was even real? or just a glitch in the Matrix. Bizarre.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]

It was a 9mm or .223.  Young lady lost her toe.

The dipshit was the vendor (promptly banned) that had testfired his guns, left a loaded round in the chamber w/ the hammer cocked in an AR, and tied the charging handle shut.  Young punter pointed the gun at the floor, thankfully, flipped the safety off & pulled the trigger.  Bullet skittered across the floor, I watched her fall.  @RebleYell donated bandages that day.  His wife handed me a tourniquet.  Now I always carry one.
View Quote

I wasn’t there but this is tickling my memory banks.  Big Towne?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I used to live in Kettering. Went to the Goodman show almost every month.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

How was Johnny Carson able to make a call a few minutes after he had left the store, in 1984?
View Quote

There were mobile phones in the 1980's but they were not in common use.  It would not be unreasonable to think that a wealthy celebrity owned one.  Or, he could have stopped at a payphone.

Motorola DynaTAC
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#43]

View Quote
first few years after i started hara was good to go even though i knew my uncle danny fired off a gun there and got kicked out during gun check in. then it became so common it was a running joke with dealers. that show is famous for most accidental discharges and fewest hits lol.

then akron dick walters gun show same thing except a gangsters unchecked gun 9mm round skimmed a brick side wall hard and caused a minor injury.  next it was owner of ohio rapid fire todd groves sister got shot in groin at columbus westland mall gunshow with ziptied 9mm hi-point carbine which had a live round somehow. that one had fast flowing blood everywhere bleeding out and really, really made my stomach curl.

it was the weirdest one by far as thats the only time ive ever seen all black people run away quickly and all white people run toward the gunfire quickly. im not joking or being racist. you would have had to been there to believe it. the tall black detective chick that rolled in with long flowing black leather coat was weird too cause she was dressed in all black like bat man almost with a cape and acted like she owned everybody and the whole place. unforgettable experience.

then was sar west pheonix az i saw a guy bleed out fast making a mess again they cleared the vendor tables out of the way in a huge radius lightning fast with huge specticle crowd yelling for help. then the last and most recent was right after that when i was at ogca a vendor shot his ccw revolver into the table and ricochet hit 2 people but no bleed out mess.

oh an the last one that changed my mind about doing the dayton hara show was i had just talked to the vendor and bought a laser bore sighter from him and couple minutes went buy that vendor fired off a naa mini revolver into the table and hurt no one but bill goodman ejected him on the spot and had his helpers pack it up. ask any dealers who did dayton during the hay day youll quickly find out.

reason i quit the dayton hara show was two fold. my fiancee just arrived from overseas and was learning gunshows so i quit all of em that gave guns a bad image since i needed her to marry me and help out. lol.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By NYresq1:

I learned to assemble dozens of brands and models of semi autos, and any type of DA S&W or Colt revolver I knew like the back of my hand. Even got pretty good with a few models of Rugers.
View Quote

Does that include a Remington Nylon 66?

That's the only time I paid to have a rifle re-assembled!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It was a 9mm or .223.  Young lady lost her toe.

No, Will Rogers in Fort Worth.  Just a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

I will say the customer could provide a bit more complete information.  The brand Oldsmobile hasn't been made in 20 years.  I can't remember the last time I saw a Oldsmobile on the road.  The parts guy may not even know what an "Olds" is.

To me it the about the same thing as a customer going into a gun and asking for a Bren or Brenten.  Unless the clerk has been around awhile or are 10mm fan, they may not have any idea what the customer is talking about
View Quote

If someone asks a gun clerk who has really been around a while he is more likely to think a Bren is the .303 cal British machine gun than some silly 10mm pistol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 545days:

If someone asks a gun clerk who has really been around a while he is more likely to think a Bren is the .303 cal British machine gun than some silly 10mm pistol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 545days:
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:  I will say the customer could provide a bit more complete information.  The brand Oldsmobile hasn't been made in 20 years.  I can't remember the last time I saw a Oldsmobile on the road.  The parts guy may not even know what an "Olds" is.

I'd really be impressed by a guy talking about his BREN til I found out it was a pistol.  Then I'd offer to see if I could find him another magazine.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#48]

That guy would be too old fashion to even know what a cell phone is.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#49]

How was Johnny Carson able to make a call a few minutes after he had left the store, in 1984?
View Quote

We had radio phones.  They were very expensive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:18:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#50]
Originally Posted By origbadbob:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By origbadbob:

And big and clunky.  Available 1973+
https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/early-mobile-phones-pictures-1970-1990/
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top