Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 10:09:11 AM EDT
I recently got back into carving after many years and I find myself with dozens and dozens of chisels and gouges and such in a variety of sizes. I went overboard a bit.

They're all keen and I'd like to keep them that way after how long it took to establish the edges - but I don't want a storage solution that results in a hanging rack or similar.

Are there more compact ways to store a bunch of chisels in a variety of sizes and without damaging the edges? The best I could think of is tool rolls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Back when I worked at a timber frame shop, we stored our chisels in blocks of wood with mortised holes for each size. Sort of how knives are stored in a wood block.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Bucket of kerosene. Zero rust. I can see them through the kerosene.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cjk:
Back when I worked at a timber frame shop, we stored our chisels in blocks of wood with mortised holes for each size. Sort of how knives are stored in a wood block.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cjk:

Duh. That seems quick and foolproof - easy enough to do with a bandsaw and glue. Thank you! I might very well go that route.

Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Bucket of kerosene. Zero rust. I can see them through the kerosene.

I really have to try to get anything to rust. Humidity practically doesn't exist here! Interesting idea though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Red tool chest from Harbor freight.  The three drawer table top size.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Red tool chest from Harbor freight.  The three drawer table top size.
View Quote

Something like that or a wood gerstner style machinists tool chest.

Rolls are good for taking the tools out off site.  But they are bulky otherwise and not so quick to get stuff from.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I store carbon steel knives in a thick cardboard sleeve made individually for each knife.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Magnetic rails from Harbor Freight, if you have the wall space and depending on how many chisels/gouges you have. You can set the rails in rows atop one another to make it more compact.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By A_G:
Magnetic rails from Harbor Freight, if you have the wall space and depending on how many chisels/gouges you have. You can set the rails in rows atop one another to make it more compact.
View Quote

I absolutely love this idea! Treat them like kitchen knives basically.

You've got my gears turning with that suggestion. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top