Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2023 3:38:59 PM EDT
I am going south and will be away from home for several months this winter.
Have a friend who will be coming by to check on the house, but don't want to bother him with maintaining my humidors.
Looking for suggestions for storing my cigars for a couple of months without having to maintain my 2 humidors.
I seldom go to this forum but seem to remember someone making a container out of some sort of plastic storeage tub for just such use.

Any suggestions?

RCA
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
tupperdors. I like these sistema's with these cedar trays and a couple boveda packs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
How far South? What's your vocation? I worked up in KC,MO. for the last 7 years- Union Glazier, BUT, not Winters- at Halloween its 20 degrees- time to come home to Florida, and 60s days.

Too many to bring them with?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, too many to bring.
Live in NE Mo.
Doing some research and I think I'll go with 2 sealed plastic tupperware type containers.
One with the 69% Boveda packs for about 50 cigars that I keep for smoking.
Have another 20 or so various ISOM cigars that are about 25 years old.
Also have about 35 relatively inexpensive cigars that I gave out when my daughter was born 23 years ago.
I intend to hand some of these out when she gets married.
Both of these have developed a nice bloom on them.
These will be stored with 62% packs.

RCA
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Bloom

Understanding Bloom: What is Bloom? Bloom, also known as plume, is a naturally occurring phenomenon on well-aged cigars. It manifests as tiny, crystalline formations on the surface of the wrapper. These crystals are composed of essential oils and other compounds present in the tobacco, which migrate to the surface over time.

Causes of Bloom: Bloom is a sign of a properly stored and aged cigar. The formation of bloom is influenced by factors such as humidity, temperature, and the quality of the tobacco. Cigars stored in a well-maintained humidor with stable conditions are more likely to develop bloom.

Identifying Bloom: Bloom has some distinctive characteristics:

Uniform Distribution: Bloom tends to appear evenly across the surface of the cigar.
Crystalline Structure: When examined closely, the white specks have a crystalline structure, resembling sugar or salt crystals.
Wipes Away Easily: Unlike mold, bloom can be gently wiped away without leaving any residue.
View Quote

RCA
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 68MUDSTUD:
"Bloom" or "plume" is mold.
View Quote

Yup. Any actual analysis from plume has concluded that it is mold.  It is hard to throw cigars away when mold happens, and even worse when they are nice cigars.  

On the original topic - you may be able to just use one cooler and use a big boveda pack @ 65%.  65 is just good overall.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have degrees in both biology and chemistry.
Not sure I buy the studies that conclude bloom is biological.
Part of the processing of tobacco is that it is tied together and allowed to ferment at least once.
Under such circumstances, it would be rather astonishing to not find DNA from mold/mildew.

RCA
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I know you said you don't want to bother the person checking on the house, but it'll most likely be a mild inconvenience. I'd suspect you know your humidors. If you put fresh bovidas in (over-sized) when you leave, how long do you expect they'd last? Have some spare bovidas at-the-ready and ask them to swap, when the time is near. You want to open the plastic containers weekly. That would be far more of an inconvenience. Or were you taking plastic with you, to have some stogies?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingoftheriver] [#9]
Might be the best idea to ask my friend to check on my humidors rather than trust my cigars to an unfamiliar method of storage.
And I am kind of a hawk when it comes to monitoring.
I suppose I'll stock up on the Boveda pouches and ask him to change them out every 2 weeks.

Another reason I am sure it is "bloom" is that it developed over a period of years, not like the relatively quick growth that one typically sees with fungus.
It also does not seem to spread to other, much newer cigars in that humidor.
Considering the handling/processing of tobacco, I would also question the credentials of any laboratory or it's staff that was unable to detect fungal DNA using modern PCR from any tobacco product.

RCA
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW - I have a small Pelican Ruck 60 case that I put a %69 Bovida pack into maybe 2 months ago and the hygrometer is still reading %69, flat. Right now it's basically acting as my overflow "humidor" and so far it's been awesome for simple storage.  It's got something like 16 cigars in it I think. The Bovida pack is still more than half full and feeling very liquid-y. I'm sure if I threw two packs into it, it would stay at %69 for another couple of months if not much longer, easily.

It's air and water tight, I don't know if tupperdores would for sure be %100 air/water tight but if you wanted to maintain a flat humidity level without worry...an airtight/watertight case like a Pelican would work really well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top