Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2022 10:40:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CopyPasta]
I'm watching the first episode now.  I'm a big Trek fan, not a fan of the newer JJ verse or Discovery, Picard, etc.  Giving Strange New Worlds a try.

What's the background to this show?  I'll do my own research and reading tomorrow but wondering what the hive here has for info.  Is this supposed to be in the JJ verse or Prime universe?  Is this supposed to be Pike's career before Kirk commanded the Enterprise?

Oh, and Rebecca Romaign or however you spell that, she hasn't aged well.

Edit:  Ok, just finished the first episode.  Apparently I need to suffer through some more Discovery to figure out whats going on here?  I definitely don't like how they used footage from January 6th to incinuate that it was the beginning of WW3 and the Eugenics Wars, but typical for woke Hollywood.  And this Spock is terrible.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#1]
No.  Ignore STD.

Go to ST:TOS.  Find and watch The Cage.  Find and watch The Menagerie.
SNW is NCC-1701 with the Commander before Kirk.  Pike commanded her for 10 years before Kirk, having taken command after Robert April's 5 year tour (Enterprise's first cruise).

YEAH, they've modernized the sets, but the storytelling is great, dovetails nicely with Trek Canon, and is damn fine sci-fi and worthy to be called Star Trek.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
No.  Ignore STD.

Go to ST:TOS.  Find and watch The Cage.  Find and watch The Menagerie.
SNW is NCC-1701 with the Commander before Kirk.  Pike commanded her for 10 years before Kirk.

YEAH, they've modernized the sets, but the storytelling is great, dovetails nicely with Trek Canon, and is damn fine sci-fi and worthy to be called Star Trek.
View Quote
Oh I've seen TOS and all that.  I know who Pike is.  But the first episode seemed to reference Discovery pretty heavily even mentioning it near the end, and honestly since JJ and all the new Trek, I find it hard sometimes to tell what "verse" things are supposed to be in.  Is Discovery considered the prime universe?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#3]
Give it a few episodes des and you tell me.  I don't really care whice universe/time-line.  They've not been to Talos IV yet, so Spock has not yelled "THE WOMEN!"

ETA IMO, Discovery is trash.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#4]
There's a thread already, where all your questions have been answered.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Star-Trek-Strange-New-Worlds/5-2555924/
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe OP missed Stacey Abrams guest spot as president of Earth... That's when you should have stopped watching all of it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Maybe OP missed Stacey Abrams guest spot as president of where she ate the Earth... That's when you should have stopped watching all of it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ramairthree] [#7]
We got a brief glimpse of it back when the Star Trek Discovery series started.

For anyone that was a little kid when the original Star Trek aired, or saw the re-runs, or even was a kid during The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise,
And went back and saw the original series,

Well- maybe just for 90% of people in general-

Star Trek Discovery was a steaming pile of dogs shit that people hated.  Like, non stop this guy main character is gay and the other main character is gay and this main character is a stronk black female as smart as Spock and was his adopted sister and the engineer is a lesbian and the captain is an evil white male and this new girl character chooses pronouns and is hung up on the death of her effeminate male friend with other pronouns and we all hug, cry and validate and…non stop level of a train wreck hitting a dumpster fire in a shit storm of super preachy woke cult toxic wokeativity.  It just kept getting worse and worse and I quit.

Strange New  Worlds, with pre original series Enterprise crew of Pike, Number One- (who I thought was looking damn good for her age when introduced a few years ago on Discovery, but must have ran down her telomeres since-
Did have an episode Really didn’t like- it was to be honest probably an homage to some Next Generation holodeck goofiness  -I essentially enjoyed very much.  It had some serious fan service/Easter eggs,  not just to the original but even to awesome 80s movies-
And I honestly have to say it recalled fond memories of being a little kid enjoying the original’s re-runs.

It’s only one ten episode season so far.
Versus three of four of discovery.

But note the lowest viewer ratings for Strange New Worlds exceed the highest ratings for Discovery.

Edit-
I forgot to add-
I also wonder if Diswokeary  hurt potential viewing numbers for Strange New Worlds-
Much like The Farce Awakens and The Last Straw probably killed interest in Solo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
We got a brief glimpse of it back when the Star Trek Discovery series started.
-snip-
Edit-
I forgot to add-
I also wonder if Diswokeary  hurt potential viewing numbers for Strange New Worlds-
Much like The Farce Awakens and The Last Straw probably killed interest in Solo.
View Quote

I believe it did, it's the main reason I've put off watching it up to this point.  

And I must be a star wars outcast, none of the movies new or old really bug me, I enjoy the story as a whole.  I feel that "new" star wars is magnitudes better than "new" trek.  And Jar Jar doesn't really bother me either lol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm just starting the season finale.  

So far, Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, let us know when you finish.  I feel the series is ready to chart its own course into places we've heard of,  but yet to see.  I *really* liked the finale.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, let us know when you finish.  I feel the series is ready to chart its own course into places we've heard of,  but yet to see.  I *really* liked the finale.
View Quote

Just finished it.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:46:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#12]
I think they're done dealing with "futures that might be" at this point.   The endpoint of Pikes time will happen when Kirk relieves him some 9 years in the future.

Meanwhile,  there are Gorn to defeat,  perhaps a brilliant fleet captain to meet,  Who knows,  maybe we'll see the Battle of Axanar before it's over.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I think they're done dealing with "futures that might be" at this point.   The endpoint of Pikes time will happen when Kirk relieves him some 9 years in the future.

Meanwhile,  there are Gorn to defeat,  perhaps a brilliant fleet captain to meet,  Who knows,  maybe we'll see the Battle of Axanar before it's over.
View Quote
Lol wouldn't that be a kick right to Alec Peters balls if they did an entire season or story arc on Axanar
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It would.   But it wouldn't shock me if there were early talks even then.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Two episodes into season 2 so far. The second episode was a little heavy handed with wokeness, but otherwise a decent episode. Honestly when I saw Anson Mount, Rebecca Romjin, and Ethan Peck`s performances in Season 2 of STD, I said to my brother,"This is the star Trek they should have made!"

They have better on screen chemistry, and a positive vibe like TOS. Anson Mount owns the role of Capt. Pike. And I want to see more of Spock`s girlfriend. They need to do more than 10 episodes though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I think s2e7 is my favorite so far.  No spoilers but I don't normally like crossover episodes but this one was done well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I love this series, it's authentic with solid characters whom I've grown to care about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top