Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2024 12:17:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They want to follow the Hispanic way but don't understand how it actually goes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#2]
I think it just may be that people want to sound important through a name or series of names or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I work in education and see many different combinations of parents' and kids' names. It can be mind boggling. To kinda answer your question, I recently came across a parent who had a hyphenated last name, divorced, and then got remarried to someone with one of the same last names. So now she is a "Jackson-Jackson." The stepdad is adopting the kid so I'm curious if they're going to change the kid's name to some weird Jackson-Jackson-Jackson.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:25:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bayouhazard] [#4]
Hispanics seem to have figured out compound family names. Hopefully your friend and her offspring can come up with something that works for them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DrFrige:
Or was this not really thought out?
View Quote

Exactly. Cousin-in-law took husband’s hyphenated last name and hilarity ensued as everyone thinks her maiden name is one of the two. They both agree in hindsight they should have picked one of his hyphenated parts and BOTH adopted that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By txtj79:
I work in education and see many different combinations of parents' and kids' names. It can be mind boggling. To kinda answer your question, I recently came across a parent who had a hyphenated last name, divorced, and then got remarried to someone with one of the same last names. So now she is a "Jackson-Jackson." The stepdad is adopting the kid so I'm curious if they're going to change the kid's name to some weird Jackson-Jackson-Jackson.
View Quote

That's ridiculous is what it is!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By txtj79:
View Quote

I have a female friend with the last name of Johnson, she married a man also named Johnson.

Johnson & Johnson.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
When she divorces him, he’s going to have go through another name change.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretentious and shallow.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a new trend. I started seeing a lot of hyphenated names after marriage maybe twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#12]
Originally Posted By SAE:
I think it just may be that people want to sound important through a name or series of names or something like that.
View Quote

yeah could be various reasons

my sister has a PhD and had a fair amount of work published before she got married

so she hyphenated her name to maintain 'recognition'.  so she went from Jill Smith to Jill Smith-Jones (not her real name but you get the point)

i don't know all the other reasons / insights behind other schools of thought
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck all that noise.  Nobody needs filenames longer than 16 characters, nobody needs a name that long.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Red flags are everywhere.   Your job is to recognize them and then take appropriate action.  

Example.  Don’t marry a woman who wants a hyphenated last name.  The desire of hyphenating the name is only the red flag of the shit that will eventually follow.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Take the new name OR

Keep your old name OR

Take the new name and change your middle name to your old name OR

Die in a fire
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By UV18:
They want to follow the Hispanic way but don't understand how it actually goes.
View Quote

Nope, they don’t.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Got to honor the women's name by adopting the name of her father

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seydou] [#18]
I don't want to perpetuate the patriarchy, so I will not take my husband's name.  Instead, I will keep my name.  Wait a minute, my name is actually my father's name, so instead I will take my mother's maiden name.  Wait a minute...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#19]
No hyphenated names in our family,
but I had my first wife make her maiden
name her middle name, while she took
my last name.

She was a lawful immigrant, and I thought
her making the last name her middle name
might counteract some of the stupidity of
the (then) I.N.S.

I also had my first two children take wife #1's
maiden name as their middle names, just in
case I died. Again, I.N.S. incompetence.

I won't take any woman's name as part of mine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Remind her that well known assassins and serial killers have 3 names.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#24]
You can take my name or not at this point I could care less. I am not hyphenating shit.    Of course, I have been married for 28+ years and don't plan of doing it again so probably not much risk.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]
What do you expect living in the clown world era? CWE.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I worked with a guy that took his wife's last name. He took a LOT of shit over that cuck move.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Guys who take their wives names are cucks.

My wife hyphenated her name because both of her parents died the same year and she wanted to keep their name alive. I didn't agree with it but respected her decision and understood why she did it. Our daughter has my last name only.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I avoid people with hyphenated last names, and if I do have to interact with them, I take nothing they say seriously.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Seydou:
I don't want to perpetuate the patriarchy, so I will not take my husband's name.  Instead, I will keep my name.  Wait a minute, my name is actually my father's name, so instead I will take my mother's maiden name.  Wait a minute...
View Quote

Exactly this!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#30]
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Cucks! Cucks everywhere!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
If that trend continues, in a few generations you'll have Amy-Jo Addis-Ainly-Gallup-Jackson-Talbot-Parson-Paris-Caley-Smith-Blake-Engles-Cavanaugh.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
If they can't decide their sex why would their name be any easier?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Red flags are everywhere.   Your job is to recognize them and then take appropriate action.  

Example.  Don’t marry a woman who wants a hyphenated last name.  The desire of hyphenating the name is only the red flag of the shit that will eventually follow.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Asians do similar,  like they basically adopt the son in law he takes over the family business with the wife and he changes family names. They do it because the don't have a clear successor and want to keep the company family, and that's how they do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Seydou:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
I worked with a guy that took his wife's last name. He took a LOT of shit over that cuck move.
View Quote

I was tempted to do it.  

My wife came from a badass family while my last name has a stigma to it even though there’s no relation to that “family.”
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:59:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pajamacannon] [#38]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:

I was tempted to do it.  

My wife came from a badass family while my last name has a stigma to it even though there’s no relation to that “family.”
View Quote

What's your last name?

Hitler?

Otherwise taking your wife's last name is a no-go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Pajamacannon:
I avoid people with hyphenated last names, and if I do have to interact with them, I take nothing they say seriously.
View Quote

This x a billion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#40]
If a guy introduced himself to me id immediately know he was a cuck beta
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pajamacannon:

What's your last name?

Hitler?

Otherwise taking your wife's last name is a no-go.
View Quote

Hitler might actually be a fun name. Could crack jokes about it at least. Get funny waves from the neighbors.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Not thought out.

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit “Election night” very silly party name:

Malcolm Peter Brian Telescope Adrian Umbrella Stand Jasper Wednesday (pops mouth twice) Stoatgobbler John Raw Vegetable (whinnying) Arthur Norman Michael (blows squeaker) Featherstone Smith (whistle) Northcott Edwards Harris (fires pistol, then 'whoop') Mason (chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff) Frampton Jones Fruitbat Gilbert (sings) 'We'll keep a welcome in the' (three shots) Williams If I Could Walk That Way Jenkin (squeaker) Tiger-drawers Pratt Thompson (sings) 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' Darcy Carter (horn) Pussycat (sings) 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' Barton Mainwaring (hoot, 'whoop') Smith
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By SAE:
View Quote

Like someone putting "Dr." in front of their name when they're not an MD?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#44]
It's a sign of mental illness as far as I'm concerned. A red flag at the least. Sorry to any sane people raised by weirdos, but you could always fix your name.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#45]
You cannot derive logic from crazy bitches.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By nophun:
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
View Quote

-SS Grenadier
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Our society is not all lost.

My daughter's fiancee actually wanted to take our last name as he has no love for his own last name (adopted and rough childhood).  It's a PITA to get a change prior to wedding as he decided to switch to his grandfathrs sir name. They will just use his current sir name.

A young lady I work with was asked if she planned to hyphenate her last name with her upcoming marriage (this friday).  She emphatically stated Hell No.

Her maiden name is Brown, his sir name is Carr.

She said she is not a brown car.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:

Hitler might actually be a fun name. Could crack jokes about it at least. Get funny waves from the neighbors.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I would have weeded out a woman who wanted to hyphenate her name a long time before we got close to marriage stage.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#50]
People with hyphenated names tell me everything I need to know about them and that is we are probably not going to get along because they are leftists.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top