Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2024 11:33:41 AM EDT
We live about 10 miles from BNA and last night I saw a large jet gaining altitude and it had unbelievably bright red and white lights.  Like some police cars.  Super bright.  Is that intensity/brightness going to become the new norm?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The newer LED navigation lights are definitely intense compared to the older halogen bulbs.

The older Embraer 175 wingtip strobe lights are crazy bright, but they've been around a long time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using Aerostar Sunspot landing and taxi lights on my Sling 2.
They are very, very, bright.
I think there are even brighter ones than those.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the LED stuff is incredibly bright; as previously noted, especially compared to the old incandescent lights.

That US Air vs. Skywest runway disaster at LAX in 1991 really changed the whole paradigm of aircraft lighting/visibility.

After that accident, aircraft holding in position on the rwy are lit up like a christmas tree.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jmt1991:
View Quote

They are so cool, I love seeing airplanes with them.  I’ve got a project underway, and have AeroLEDs Pulsar NSP wingtip lights and a Suntail sitting on my work bench.  Have a landing/taxi light housing ordered that comes with bulbs, but I’m 99% sure I’m going to just replace them right away with sunspots.  The price of these lights is shocking, but it’s not like I’m going to do this a bunch of times in my life…
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish they were available when I had my Aztec.

A friend installed Sunspots in his Warrior and holy shit does it make a difference. It's the difference between a candle and a Q-beam.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By erud:

They are so cool, I love seeing airplanes with them.  I’ve got a project underway, and have AeroLEDs Pulsar NSP wingtip lights and a Suntail sitting on my work bench.  Have a landing/taxi light housing ordered that comes with bulbs, but I’m 99% sure I’m going to just replace them right away with sunspots.  The price of these lights is shocking, but it’s not like I’m going to do this a bunch of times in my life…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By erud:
Originally Posted By jmt1991:

Another thing that really makes visibility a whole lot better is the wig-wag.
It just makes the aircraft so much easier to spot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top