User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2023 11:54:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Boy is he a bitter person
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I started reading Martin in the 70s when he was publishing brilliant short stories like "With Morning Comes Mistfall" and the truly haunting novel "The Dying of the Light", which had about as original a setting and premise as I've ever read. I read damn near everything he published from his beginnings up through GOT.
I read GOT when it was first published and was...underwhelmed. But by then I was tired of "Epic Fantasy", especially the neverending series that had become the default setting for maximum extraction of money.
In fact, I've come to really tire of sequelitis in books and movies. Either the protagonist is functionally immortal and thus there are no stakes, or/and the author is lazy/repetitive/unoriginal.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
View Quote

Nah, he just doesn’t bottle up his feelings.

But here’s the follow up rant.

https://monsterhunternation.com/2023/04/20/so-the-cancerous-tumor-on-the-prolapsed-anus-of-fandom-is-upset-with-my-letter-about-george-martins-laziness-fucking-over-a-generation-of-new-writers-oh-well/
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Not at all.  Like was said above, it pulls no punches.  This was partly due to someone panning his latest "Sons of the Black Sword" series without reading it.  Just because he thought that Corriea might not finish it due to "reasons".  
Not good reasons, just really bullshit ones.   SO he panned the series since its not finished.  He cranks out books and are really good.  They align with his world view, and ours.  Its good to support him.

But as he says, he really doesnt need that support at the moment.  New authors do.  Pretty selfless to me.  Opposite of bitter.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#5]
"If you’re that much of a bitch about artists being human just program a chat bot to spit you out a trash book a day and shut the fuck up."

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

He's been writing like this for a long time.

https://monsterhunternation.com/2007/10/09/hk-because-you-suck-and-we-hate-you/
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I don’t get that feeling at all.

Love his novels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ender875:

Not at all.  Like was said above, it pulls no punches.  This was partly due to someone panning his latest "Sons of the Black Sword" series without reading it.  Just because he thought that Corriea might not finish it due to "reasons".  
Not good reasons, just really bullshit ones.   SO he panned the series since its not finished.  He cranks out books and are really good.  They align with his world view, and ours.  Its good to support him.

But as he says, he really doesnt need that support at the moment.  New authors do.  Pretty selfless to me.  Opposite of bitter.

View Quote

I mean, he’s right about fans not wanting to bother with a series until it’s finished, but at the same time the market has changed. For every new tradpub author releasing their first fantasy book of phonebook length, there are five people on Amazon doing rapid releases that average around 350 pages or less. By the time the publisher releases the sequel to said phonebook, the latter authors have established series and fanbases if they’re popular.

Just to put this in perspective, in the same length of time between Larry’s sixth MHI book and now. Nick Cole and Jason Anspach completed a series of 18 mainline books that included numerous spin-offs and started an entirely new series before that one was finished.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The other issue I see is no author wants to do a single book with a complete story but they leave everyone hanging, hoping they can hit a bestseller and milk it for 10 books.  

I look for a single story style book first if possible to check out an author rather than find out the entire book relies on finishing up eight different storylines in the next books.  

They mention Brandon Sanderson who I like but he annoys me that I have to wait two to three years for the next book in a series that may be spanning many more books.   Frustrating thinking I may have to wait ten to fifteen years to finish a series because an author writes one book every ten months and has multiple series he is juggling.   Although I cant blame him as his kickstarter is over 20 million for the four books he wrote during COVID.........
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Didn't know much about him until recently.  I did the free Audible titles Lost Planet Homicide and Ghosts of Zenith. Both were just a couple hours long but pretty fun listens.  The narrator was especially good for this character's POV.  

I'm going to check out the author's other series next.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

He's really not.  He's opinionated.  No reason for him to be bitter, he's a fucking millionaire from his writing.  He's lamenting how difficult it is for new, up and coming fantasy writers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Been reading his stuff since the first MHI book came out.  IMHO great reads. The wife went to High School with him and said he was always a very nice guy.

I haven’t listened to any of his audiobooks but hopefully he fares better than some of the other writers on this site. I tried listening again to another writer from here but damn the voice actor was horrible and made the book uninteresting.  Once I have more time I’ll buy it on kindle or something and read it myself.

Back on topic….anyone who enjoys monsters, guns, and general sci-fi should really give Larry a read.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Goback:
Been reading his stuff since the first MHI book came out.  IMHO great reads. The wife went to High School with him and said he was always a very nice guy.

I haven’t listened to any of his audiobooks but hopefully he fares better than some of the other writers on this site. I tried listening again to another writer from here but damn the voice actor was horrible and made the book uninteresting.  Once I have more time I’ll buy it on kindle or something and read it myself.

Back on topic….anyone who enjoys monsters, guns, and general sci-fi should really give Larry a read.
View Quote

And he's a gun guy, not like that drip who wrote about an alternate history of the Civil War then shit on gun owners.

I've only read MHI books - what else of his is good?

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

And he's a gun guy, not like that drip who wrote about an alternate history of the Civil War then shit on gun owners.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-oZB_fnHvl1w%2FU8XLfZRzYnI%2FAAAAAAAAGLc%2FHzbYLPWfa84%2Fs1600%2FLarry%2BCorreia.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c30d09bf375aa5fa3b856fcd814974c4f49a823c5718de080a578c09613ea6e9&ipo=images
View Quote

His Grimmnoir series is great.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-oZB_fnHvl1w%2FU8XLfZRzYnI%2FAAAAAAAAGLc%2FHzbYLPWfa84%2Fs1600%2FLarry%2BCorreia.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c30d09bf375aa5fa3b856fcd814974c4f49a823c5718de080a578c09613ea6e9&ipo=images

Agreed.  And if you're in the mood for something sprawling and epic, his Saga of the Forgotten Warrior series is shaping up nicely.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked Servants of War (a collaboration with Steve Diamond).
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Croak:

Agreed.  And if you're in the mood for something sprawling and epic, his Saga of the Forgotten Warrior series is shaping up nicely.
View Quote

This!!  Fantastic series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top