Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2024 7:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reb0957]
There is a back story here. Looking for 16 year old's first vehicle. Trucks are out of the question price for future problems is crazy. Wife decides 4 door Jeep but was super picky. it later came out, she wanted this as a test to see if she wanted one as her future grandma mobile. Anyway, I really want a Jeep and they hold their value. I can let 16 use it and buy him something later when he decides where he is going in life.
On the Jeep note I kinda miss rowing through the gears. I figure 16 needs to have the ability to drive stick. So a 2 door jeep it is. And Holy crap is there some junk out there. Wife says, she feels safer in a hard top for the kid. I am looking daily and missed several deals. Like traded in and sold same day.  
I have found this Jeep and they won't come below $18k. The owner swears she had it appraised (what?) and it is $18k and that is what she is sticking with. I mean it has a lift and rims and tires.....actuality is a level kit and 18's wrapped in a 33" narrow tire. The thing is mint but I feel like I am being robbed because they won't come off $18k. The level kit made it nose high and that is fixable. What is the consensus on this fro $18k? Edit: I have test driven and seen it in person. It is very much like new.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/305586102408310/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#1]
i don't ever go to fakebook, and would not recommend a Jeep for a 16 year old

find a clean used civic or corolla
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

i don't ever go to facebbok, and would not recemmend a Jeep for a 16 year old

find a clean used civic or corolla
View Quote
The used car market is brutal. Everything here under $10k is trashed. Or on a salvaged title. At 6'4" a corolla or civic is real tight for him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By reb0957:
The used car market is brutal. Everything here under $10k is trashed. Or on a salvaged title. At 6'4" a corolla or civic is real tight for him.
View Quote

sorry, for some reason I thought daughters, I have 2

Good point

I am 6'4" and it's a VERY tight in my daughters corolla

I fit in a civic OK though

the car market and interest rates are insane now

My 1998 TJ was a ton of fun, but a gas hog that was falling apart at 60,000 miles, and kept leaving me dead on the side of the highway

I miss it so  

If I ever get another, it will be a weekend toy, not a daily driver

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It will be a weekend day time toy for the dog and I ! The boy can have it at night and to get back and forth to school and work. School is about 4 miles away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It will be a weekend day time toy for the dog and I ! The boy can have it at night and to get back and forth to school and work. School is about 4 miles away.
View Quote

So in other words you want it for you and not for him?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That jeep's price is about right. I just traded a 2012 with 60K miles, and it sold for a little under $19K.

Mine was completely stock and in basically mint condition, but IMO any JK/JKU older than 2015 you
should walk away from, the engines are time bombs.

Honestly for a new driver, get a car or if you want to go the Jeep route, find an XJ and let him learn
auto repair on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By seek2:
That jeep's price is about right. I just traded a 2012 with 60K miles, and it sold for a little under $19K.

Mine was completely stock and in basically mint condition, but IMO any JK/JKU older than 2015 you
should walk away from, the engines are time bombs.

Honestly for a new driver, get a car or if you want to go the Jeep route, find an XJ and let him learn
auto repair on it.
View Quote
This is what I was looking for! The price is about right. That is crazy they hold their value like that!
Since 2000 I have either owned Dodge Rams or Rams. I have taken so much shit about their quality. I have had almost 0 issues. The only issue was a water pump on a 2005 Cummins. I still think that happened because it became a weekend only vehicle. I am a stickler for maintenance. Even if I buy this one, home boy is going to be changing all fluids, plugs, and filters. And that is before I teach him to drive stick.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I would be very cautious about an XJ, only because it's at that vintage where parts for anything other than basic chassis/ engine repairs are available, but body, electrical, and some exterior and interior parts are unobtanium without deep pockets.

I'm having challenges obtaining some parts that were very commonly available for a reasonable price, keeping inflation factored in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
This is what I was looking for! The price is about right. That is crazy they hold their value like that!
Since 2000 I have either owned Dodge Rams or Rams. I have taken so much shit about their quality. I have had almost 0 issues. The only issue was a water pump on a 2005 Cummins. I still think that happened because it became a weekend only vehicle. I am a stickler for maintenance. Even if I buy this one, home boy is going to be changing all fluids, plugs, and filters. And that is before I teach him to drive stick.
View Quote

He'll be changing more than fluids and plugs if you get this one.

Think heads, valves, camshafts. '12s and '13s had some very serious engine issues. Jeep replaced one head and gave me
a 10 year/100K mile warranty on the other one... 12 years later a valve in the one they replaced was starting to act up,
and that was just 40K after the repair.

For JK/JKU 2015 or later if you want to play it safer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Options
Power Convenience group
Connectivity Group
3.73 axles

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
The price isn't bad considering mileage, but as mentioned: Some of the early Pentastars were plagued with major problems. I don't recall exactly what they were, but I do recall talking to one of the service guys at the Dodge dealer when they first came out and he said DO NOT buy one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By seek2:

He'll be changing more than fluids and plugs if you get this one.

Think heads, valves, camshafts. '12s and '13s had some very serious engine issues. Jeep replaced one head and gave me
a 10 year/100K mile warranty on the other one... 12 years later a valve in the one they replaced was starting to act up,
and that was just 40K after the repair.

For JK/JKU 2015 or later if you want to play it safer.
View Quote

IIRC the only major issue was the casting sand issue with the heads. It affected 12s and only a small portion of 13s. The issue wasn't on the 14s.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone commenting have one?
If I purchase this thing and flush coolant and switch everything to synthetic lube, can I minimize that risk? Or is it 100% mechanical and if it was assembled on a Monday or Friday?
There are tons in the $12k to $13k range but have +125k miles. Is there less inherent risk on a 125k+ mile having engine trouble than a 57k one? If the issue hasn't popped up by 125k miles it won't? I get that may lead to other problems, just maybe not engine failure.
I bring a creeper and a couple of flashlights to everyone I look at. I run at oil leaks, excessive rust, & shitty lift kits.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I only had a 2015. I only sold it when I had moved to Florida.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I put my daughter in a manual TJ to drive in high school, so I like your plan.  It boosted her confidence to be able to drive a stick, when even most of the boys can't.  It keeps them off the cell phone also.  

That Jeep looks really clean, and the 3.8L is a good, reliable engine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hater:
I put my daughter in a manual TJ to drive in high school, so I like your plan.  It boosted her confidence to be able to drive a stick, when even most of the boys can't.  It keeps them off the cell phone also.  

That Jeep looks really clean, and the 3.8L is a good, reliable engine.
View Quote

3.6. The last year for the 3.8 in a wrangler was 2011.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]
This is a bad idea for a 16yr old.  It's a bad idea.
- I don't care how responsible you think your boy is.  The Jeep will end up stuck in the mud.  More than likely it will be damaged.  It's just reality.
-A short wheelbase vehicle drives differently than anything else.  In the ice they will want to swap ends more than stay straight.  In the rain, they like to get squirrely.  
-Jeeps are short in length and relatively tall.  A lift+ tires only makes this worse.  They like to be on their lid if you're light on trail experience.
-Death wobble is a very real thing.  I chased it on my TJ for years.  It is an absolutely terrifying experience if you've never felt it.  Out of balance tires+ worn steering bushings= a not so fun time at 50-55mph.  Maybe the new JKs are less prone to this.  

With that out of the way, I would avoid the 3.8L and look for something a couple years newer...if you're stuck on this Jeep idea.

I had a TJ for nearly 20 years.  I loved to wrench on it.  It was not a daily driver.

My brother had a '12 JK which started to have engine trouble and he promptly traded it for a newer 4-door model.  

I would highly recommend a used Camry
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

View Quote

The TJ came with the 2.4 or 4.0
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

View Quote
Ah, yes.  Even better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By rob78:

The TJ came with the 2.4 or 4.0
View Quote

Talking about the Wrangler in the OP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]
It will not be lifted any more than it is. It is on some Pmetric version of a 33" tire a leveling kit that over leveled the truck.
We don't have ice but we do have rain.
Yes, boys will jack stuff up. The Jeep will probably be easier and cheaper to repair than a Camry.
Learning to drive stick and not being able to be on the damn phone is the goal.
Yes, I have experienced death wobble in a 2003 2500 Ram doing 80mph. Yes, I sharted. Yes I fixed the problem.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
My first car was a 92 Wrangler. Thing wouldn't get above 65, 70 going down hill. Loved it.

It kept me from speeding which I did a lot of in my next vehicle. I was in a front on collision with an F150. I was stopped in a turn lane and he hit me head on at about 40 MPH after he got hit from the side. The jeep had a tow bar that destroyed the F150 and left me and the girlfriend at the time pretty intact.

I thought it was a great starter vehicle and taught me how to drive a stick.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Double check the wheels. Looks like factory backspace, which means more than likely with 33" tires it has a set of spacers.

I can't comment on the 3.6, as when I was looking for my jeep I was explicitly looking for the 3.8L. The 3.73 gearing should match up decently well with the NSG370 and 33" tires, gas mileage will be 14-16 mpg, maybe a touch better.

As others have said the short wheelbase will get all kinds of squirrelly with slick roads or an appreciable crosswind. A steering damper will help smooth out the front end twitchiness from crosswinds, just make sure you keep an eye on steering components.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#25]
offer 15k, listen to engine around heads for loud ticking, specially when being started up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reb0957] [#26]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
offer 15k, listen to engine around heads for loud ticking, specially when being started up.
View Quote
I offered $17k, they told me to pound sand.
I said listen I can write a personal check or I can have a cashier's check here tomorrow.
They said that Jeep will sit there a long time before $17k. I could have sold for $17k yesterday.
The wife is now saying she had it appraised for $18k. Who appraised it? I did hours of market research for similar Jeeps across the US. You aren't adding in the mods and wheels and tires!
Ma'am it is a leveling kit, 18" wheels, and Pmetric tires that are 33" tall but not even 10" wide.
I have been using KBB for every car I have purchased. This vehicle swings $400-$700 difference in value per day. I only get above $18k if I add a winch. I don't consider skinny 33's off road tires but I do give for premium wheels and I have the build sheet so every box is checked.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#27]
Camry.

A 2 door Jeep is a horrible vehicle for a kid, especially if he isn't paying it for at least half of it. Frankly, also too nice of a vehicle for a kid, especially if he isn't paying for half of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
My 1st vehicle was a 79 cj7 4spd.

Nothing wrong with a jeep for a 16yr.

Do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#29]
The low mileage on that one is why she is asking so much.  Should be a pretty nice ride once you delete the mods and return it to stock.

Your kid only gets to be a teenager once and a manual jeep wrangler is a pretty awesome ride for a high schooler.   I say do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I said listen I can write a personal check or I can have a cashier's check here tomorrow.
They said that Jeep will sit there a long time before $17k. I could have sold for $17k yesterday.
The wife is now saying she had it appraised for $18k. Who appraised it? I did hours of market research for similar Jeeps across the US. You aren't adding in the mods and wheels and tires!
Ma'am it is a leveling kit, 18" wheels, and Pmetric tires that are 33" tall but not even 10" wide.
I have been using KBB for every car I have purchased. This vehicle swings $400-$700 difference in value per day. I only get above $18k if I add a winch. I don't consider skinny 33's off road tires but I do give for premium wheels and I have the build sheet so every box is checked.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526601/1000007675_png-3195241.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526601/1000007675_png-3195241.JPG

This 2013 3.6 is a crap shoot though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Have arfcom's resident coonass used car dealer Midcap get your kid a beater car.

Because if a 16 year old gets ahold of that $18K Jeep.......within a few months it will be a $10K Jeep.

Within a year....Midcap will be buying it at some auction lot for $2500.00

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you got an insurance quote for a 16yo driving a Jeep?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:56:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I have walked away from a few vehicles over $500 to 1000 difference, I have regretted all of them.

If you feel it's worth 17, just pay the 18. Is the 1000 extra going to break the bank? Is it worth looking at 5 or 6 other jeeps to figure that you saved 1k? Just driving around looking at vehicles is annoying to me and wastes a lot of time and gas.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Did you test drive it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#35]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Have you got an insurance quote for a 16yo driving a Jeep?
View Quote
I agree. Definitely get a few insurance quotes.

Any vehicle requiring full coverage insurance will be very expensive for a teenager.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Manual WRX.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rob78:
This is a bad idea for a 16yr old.  It's a bad idea.
- I don't care how responsible you think your boy is.  The Jeep will end up stuck in the mud.  More than likely it will be damaged.  It's just reality.
-A short wheelbase vehicle drives differently than anything else.  In the ice they will want to swap ends more than stay straight.  In the rain, they like to get squirrely.  
-Jeeps are short in length and relatively tall.  A lift+ tires only makes this worse.  They like to be on their lid if you're light on trail experience.
-Death wobble is a very real thing.  I chased it on my TJ for years.  It is an absolutely terrifying experience if you've never felt it.  Out of balance tires+ worn steering bushings= a not so fun time at 50-55mph.  Maybe the new JKs are less prone to this.  

With that out of the way, I would avoid the 3.8L and look for something a couple years newer...if you're stuck on this Jeep idea.

I had a TJ for nearly 20 years.  I loved to wrench on it.  It was not a daily driver.

My brother had a '12 JK which started to have engine trouble and he promptly traded it for a newer 4-door model.  

I would highly recommend a used Camry
View Quote

+1000

buy your kid a reliable car

buy yourself a jeep to fuck up

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
Manual WRX.

View Quote
A Subaru WRX with a Manuel transmission is definitely fun to drive. My oldest son has a 2020 WRX.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Let us know how this turns out OP.  I am considering a JL Wrangler stickshift for my 16 year old son.  The manual will force him to concentrate on driving and not on his phone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Did the OP survive?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#41]
OP must have caught the death wobble.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
OP must have caught the death wobble.
View Quote

Safe thread?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Jeeps sucks to daily drive.  One with suspension & big tires even more so.  
Get him a used crown vic.  Or if you want some reliability get a used Mazda or a Subaru.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
Get him a used crown vic.  Or if you want some reliability get a used Mazda or a Subaru.
View Quote

As a onetime owner of many Jeeps......THIS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

View All Quotes

Sounds like you two should have spent more than what your Rough Country lifts cost.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Get out of here
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

That depends if your daily driving is highway or in town. I never had any issues daily driving in town.

Highway was different, never felt like it had enough power. (the 3.8 V6)
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Day 10
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#49]

That depends if your daily driving is highway or in town. I never had any issues daily driving in town.

View All Quotes

Mine runs 70-80mph no problem and gets there with ease. (3.6 V6)

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#50]

3 Jeeps destroyed in 3 seconds!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top