Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPTCARL] [#1]
Do it.  30,000 miles on this bike.  Each one of this miles has been awesome.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a GREATLY increased chance of dying. Think of your wife and kids.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Adventure bike is what you need.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Classic master race checking in

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_5304_jpeg-3210052.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

Scrambler master race checking in...

https://i.imgur.com/BxO65xz.jpg

You win, but modern classic master race checking in.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Lol, nice. And now we have left 98% of the thread behind.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Within the last 3 weeks; a nephew in a bike crash broke a leg, hip, arm, lost spleen, lots of internal bleeding, one night had 9 units of blood to counter internal bleed. Then in-law in another state had a bike wreck also, broken back; paralysis is a possibility time will tell.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:

You win, but modern classic master race checking in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163640/20231028_134540_S_jpg-3210063.JPG
View Quote

Another waiting on the back burner. I may get to it before I die, but at 48 I doubt it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Who's the poster that deals with legit analogue cars?  Stutz something?  Bet he knows at something about early bikes!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Not talking anyone out of buying a bike.
Very high probability I'll be buying this tomorrow.
My KLR has been a great bike.  Hate to get rid of it but four bikes would be too many.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Found an old pic on the web.
My T-100 in Opal and Tangerine.

I'll clean her up a bit and get her running again in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I know it's a Road Bike,

I broke my back and right ankl in two spots.

I used to be 6'2". I'm now 5'11"
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#12]
One of my good friends in Smithfield was killed due to a driver in an oncoming car swerving into his lane. The dude who hit him was arrested the prior year for reckless driving and excessive speed.

News release
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Pretty hard to kill yourself on a trials bike, but I'm trying.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Arcwn:
My KLR has been a great bike.  Hate to get rid of it but four bikes would be too many.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254821/87D42375-6121-4976-9606-5B14C3927135_jpg-3210092.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:57:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#15]
Originally Posted By JDennis:
I sold my Harley and stopped riding about 12 years ago.  This year I got the itch to get in to dual sports and adventure bikes. We have lots of gravel, level B and trails. I wish I would have gotten in to this type of riding long ago. It is insanely fun.  It is slow, technical, and quite the work out.  

Last week though I did buy a Ninja 500 from a friend though to tool around my fairly small town.

Meh dual sports are kind of a dud. There is never anything exciting like cross walks and freeways.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_7694_jpeg-3210007.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_7529_jpeg-3210010.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_6308_jpeg-3210013.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191077/IMG_6286_jpeg-3210014.JPG

@Canoeguy

That sure looks like Tikal but that angle makes it look oddly compressed. Took me a second. Hope you got to spend the day there, pretty cool place.

How far south did you get on that trip? Solo?

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I rode for years.   When the kids were born.  I sold the bikes.   Now that my youngest is graduating college.  I am half tempted to ge another bike.  But.  Then I think about how great my life is at the moment.    

Rather keep it that way.   Almost top off the jeep season.  

That keeps me happy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve lost 3 friends and one cousin due to motorcycle accidents. Only one was the fault of the rider.

One hit a deer
One got run over from behind while stopped at a stop light
One Tboned a car that pulled out. 90 yo lady said she didn’t see him… witnesses said he was likely going the speed limit…
One laid it down taking a turn to quick and was shredded by the guardrail.

The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Full disclosure:  have my ppl and I’m looking at buying a Pitts or Eagle next year.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wilki:
Wife and I rode for 15 years and took a 20 year break until last year.  Our last bikes were KLR650's.  After us dreaming about it for 6 months, last April we bought two new KLR650S's.  Put about 200 miles on them and both came to the conclusion that the spark was gone. The bikes were great but we just didn't get the excitement from the act of riding.   We were lucky and only lost $1000 on each.  I tell myself that at least it wasn't a RV.

My advice is to rent a bike and see if you still have the spark.

View Quote

Same thing I posted on P1. Old and jaded, don't know what it was but it just didn't bring back "the feel".
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By -Omega-1:
I had my bike about a year and a half, just did the old trade the bike for a Jeep thing. I liked it, but I wasn't excited about it, plus all the distracted drivers. I'm really more of a Jeep guy anyway.

Bike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123512/04_19_2024-3193304.jpg

Jeep.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123512/1960-3206708.jpg
View Quote

Me too! Nice Jeep but I suggest you work on a better tie-down system.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Vanquish:
Recently I’ve been kind of wanting to buy a bike. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve owned one, and now I’m getting the itch to ride again. Please tell me why this is a bad idea, I’m not getting any kind of real resistance from my wife. Haha

Pic of my last bike. I only had it for about 2-1/2 years but during that time I put almost 16k miles on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58041/IMG_0985_jpeg-3209636.JPG

View Quote

Motorcycle deaths are 28 times higher than regular vehicles. You can’t get me on one after an accident as a youngster. But you do you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:02:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#21]

View All Quotes

No pre-unit no care

That's just so isolastic.  Norton, not Triumph but well...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ruark:
View Quote
Indeed.  My wife said to think of her and the kids - buy a really fast bike with really poor handling and brakes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:09:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
If you’re looking to be talked out if it, you probably don't have enough  confidence to ride.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Vanquish:

Not sure. I’ve been looking online at stuff like Ducati monsters, BMW adventure bikes, Triumph and some sport bikes. It would mainly be for fun and long trips.
View Quote

I just got back in after 10 years off.  Picked up a lightly used Yamaha Super Tenere.  Yamaha version of BMW's GS of which I have had two and loved them.  Started searching for another GS and had a couple of my old GS friends tell me I should look at the Yamaha.  Much less expensive and much larger dealer network.  I love the bike.
There's one for sale on the Super Tenere  forum.  A 2013 with 24,000 miles on it for $4500.  Looks well set up and very clean.  Wish it had popped up a month sooner as I paid $7200 for my 2014 and thought that was a pretty good deal based on prior Cycle Trader and other sales.  That 2013 is a steal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I was thinking I was losing the desire to ride starting a couple of years ago.  Just wasn't feeling it.  Add in back problems and related nerve damage to both legs didn't make riding any fun.  (A two level laminectomy last year was wildly successful and the nerves have somewhat repaired themselves.)

In 2018 I couldn't wait to get the new smaller, lighter, slightly more powerful, and full-of-tech DCT Goldwing to replace my ST1300.  Great bike but relatively poor at hustling through the fun roads.  I was thinking the problem was me.  Decided to sell it.  Then decided to get something more fun but still decent for LD trips to give riding another chance.  Sold it, bought my current bike, and confirmed it was the Goldwing not being fun for me and not me losing the desire to ride.  The change was like going from a Cadillac to a Corvette in a world where a liter bike is the Ariel Atom of motorcycling.

The trip I took two weeks ago was a blast.  With the remaining nerve damage to my legs, it was a clown show crawling on the bike as each day wore on.  Rather than thinking I ought to hang up LD-ish trips, I realized I need to hit the gym religiously - and I am - a noticeable improvement in only two weeks.      

The point of this CSB is if you are thinking you are done riding maybe it is time to try another style of bike before giving up because it might be as much the bike as it is you.  And improving fitness is certainly not going to hurt.

If you are stopping riding for safety concerns then it is probably time to hang it up.  A different bike isn't going to help unless you are going to ride off-road maybe.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

@Canoeguy

That sure looks like Tikal but that angle makes it look oddly compressed. Took me a second. Hope you got to spend the day there, pretty cool place.

View Quote

Yea, it's a weird angle, as you know it is much larger when you are there. I rode down to Bocas del Toro, Panama. I wish I had spent another month in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know anyone personally that has died on a bike. A time or two removed through the grapevine I may hear about someone, but no one close. I knew a guy who got banged up pretty bad but honestly he shouldnt have likely been riding at all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wilki:
Wife and I rode for 15 years and took a 20 year break until last year.  Our last bikes were KLR650's.  After us dreaming about it for 6 months, last April we bought two new KLR650S's.  Put about 200 miles on them and both came to the conclusion that the spark was gone. The bikes were great but we just didn't get the excitement from the act of riding.   We were lucky and only lost $1000 on each.  I tell myself that at least it wasn't a RV.

My advice is to rent a bike and see if you still have the spark.

View Quote

In motorcycling's defense, you were on a KLR.😁.  I owned one so I can joke about it.  In seriousness, it was the bike I owned for the shortest period of time.  Bet I didn't put 1000 miles on it.  And this was when I was riding 12,000 + miles a year.  Just couldn't connect with that bike.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#30]
In nearly half of motorcycle accidents the bike is the only vehicle involved.
The Statistics of Street Survival on a Motorcycle
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Get a sport tourer. In fact, get both. I've had cruisers, sport bikes, and sport tourers. I loved my Kawasaki Concours and would get another but they don't make them anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a bimbo pull out in front of me resulting in me laying my bike down and sliding down the street in shorts and a t shirt. This was circa 2004 before smartphones. I can only imagine the level of retardation a rider witnesses these days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By:
I had a bimbo pull out in front of me resulting in me laying my bike down and sliding down the street in shorts and a t shirt. This was circa 2004 before smartphones. I can only imagine the level of retardation a rider witnesses these days.
View Quote

In fairness there was some retardation on your part as well
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#34]
OP I've been riding since I was 5.  I ride everything, off road, sprot, vintage, even a Harley.

Go ride OP.  It requires a standard of health and wellness that may not be there when you are older.  Get out there and have fun OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Arcwn:
My KLR has been a great bike.  Hate to get rid of it but four bikes would be too many.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254821/87D42375-6121-4976-9606-5B14C3927135_jpg-3210092.JPG
View Quote
I'm currently riding the Tiger Sport 660, but I was looking at the '24 900 GT Pro when I was at the dealership getting service the other day. I need to hurry up and get my car paid off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

One of the locals who coaxed me back into riding has a few. I'm always trying to bum a ride.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:09:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rbass] [#37]
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:
View Quote

It's no different now than it ever was. People really like to exaggerate the situation, and say things like everyone is trying to kill you. Yes, you keep your senses up and head on a swivel, but no, "everyone" is not trying to kill you. No one is trying to kill you, some drivers just suck. Same as it's always been. Smart phones have not changed that fact, and it's not gotten the million times worse people like to think since the phones came around. There will always be bike accidents, just as there will always be car accidents. Even if one person knows several people who've had bike accidents, that doesn't mean everyone is bound to be hit by a distracted driver. This is also like people saying you are 100% going to drop your bike. No, everyone doesn't drop their bike. A bike wreck is going to suck, but lets keep some sense of reality. Those who quit or don't start because of "how bad it's gotten these days" were going to quit or never start anyway. That's fine too, nothing against them if they know they shouldn't be out there. Knowing yourself and your limits is a very good skill to have, and staying within those lines is always the best decision.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#38]
No matter how good you are the other idiots in cars do not pay attention and will kill you then stand there and say they did not see you. While you are bleeding out in the street. Buy a Miata and call it good
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Rbass:

It's no different now than it ever was. People really like to exaggerate the situation, and say things like everyone is trying to kill you. Yes, you keep your senses up and head on a swivel, but no, "everyone" is not trying to kill you. No one is trying to kill you, some drivers just suck. Same as it's always been. Smart phones have not changed that fact, and it's not gotten the million times worse people like to think since the phones came around. There will always be bike accidents, just as there will always be car accidents. Even if one person knows several people who've had bike accidents, that doesn't mean everyone is bound to be hit by a distracted driver. This is also like people saying you are 100% going to drop your bike. No, everyone doesn't drop their bike. A bike wreck is going to suck, but lets keep some sense of reality. Those who quit or don't start because of "how bad it's gotten these days" were going to quit or never start anyway. That's fine too, nothing against them if they know they shouldn't be out there. Knowing yourself and your limits is a very good skill to have, and staying within those lines is always the best decision.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Originally Posted By QwikKotaTx:

It's just blame shifting. Watching a lot of crash videos show that 99.9% of riders absolutely refuse to accept any responsibility for their own contribution to the crash.  Doing 100+ down the highway and screaming at cars for "cutting you off", cold tires, helmet to tight and getting dizzy, etc. Hell, look at that girl down in TX that was doing well over 100mph at night and crashed. She immediately started blaming the car and then lied to the police and paramedics about how fast she was going.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:27:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#40]
View All Quotes

How does the widely reported stat, that with a gun in the home, your children aged 5 to 14 11 times more likely to be killed than American home without guns. Compared to other high-income countries, American children aged 5 to 14 are 21 times more likely to be killed with guns. Women's are roughly 6 times more likely to be a victim of violence and almost twice as likely to die if a gun in present in the home. Think of your wife a kids . . . If you own a gun.  

Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Motorcycle deaths are 28 times higher than regular vehicles. You can't get me on one after an accident as a youngster. But you do you.

No, they aren't.

'23 there were roughly 44k peeps killed in traffic  - about 6k on motorcycle. The stat that's often referred to is - this from Forbes -  "Motorcycle riders are 28 times more likely to die and four times more likely to be injured in an accident".

Is the 28 times an expression of deaths per driven mile, per unit owned, some other measure? Or fatality resultant when there is an accident? Some calculation entirely different then these? Because motorcycle deaths aren't  "28 times higher than regular vehicles."
I'm curious your take on this as perhaps you meant something different than you posted. It's ok many journalists misuse this stat so don't feel bad.

I get many peeps are simply trying to point out the risks. I could do without the snark and smarm, but you do you.

Once you factor in that roughly a third of all fatalities are unlicensed for class, about half involved excessive speed, and almost half alcohol (realizing all 3 is often the case) -  how does avoiding all impact risk. GREATLY . Which is why if you have DUI, moving violations - especially reckless and excessive speed/aggressive driving and sometimes at fault accidents, you'll generally pay more for life insurance. But not for merely riding. Odd if there's inordinate risk.

Here's some stats reported often. 70% of unhelmeted riders die at the scene. States with helmet laws had a 33% lower head-related fatality rate than states without helmet laws from 1999 to 2019. Studies estimate that wearing a helmet reduces the risk of dying in a crash by 37%.  

So with ALL gear AND avoiding the big 3 dumb ass behaviors - how much have we reduced risk? Nobody really knows because the stats are produced by type of orgs and and used for the same reasons gun risks are calculated and promulgated. The use on this board always seems antithetical to me.

My fav is when some morbidly obese dude tells me I'm gonna end up a road smudge or die in some horrifically dangerous foreign country - like Argentina or Chile. Tho possible - but he certainly doesn't understand risk, or won't control it.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:
Get a sport tourer. In fact, get both. I've had cruisers, sport bikes, and sport tourers. I loved my Kawasaki Concours and would get another but they don't make them anymore.
View Quote

Love me a good sport touring bike, even though I'm on the CRV of bikes now, DL650.  

Something like the Suzuki Bandit would be a fun one as well.  Throw a few bags, have fun!  Sadly I don't think they make them anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Be prepared to be in an accident.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Meh. Everybody dies.

Not everybody lives.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Love me a good sport touring bike, even though I'm on the CRV of bikes now, DL650.  

Something like the Suzuki Bandit would be a fun one as well.  Throw a few bags, have fun!  Sadly I don't think they make them anymore.
View Quote

If I could find a nice minty Bandit 1200s it would be sitting in my garage right now. Such a great bike!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:53:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MetalChef] [#45]
If you are willing to accept the risk, do it.

Me?

I had a motorcycle in my 20s and I was almost ran down too many times. I hung it up 20+ years ago and I won’t put myself back on a bike ever again As people are too distracted  and will use you for a speed bump without even thinking about it.

With my luck, some soccer mom trying to text drive and smack her at the same time will crush me. Then Over and over, she will say “I did not see him. It was his fault”.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#46]
The itch NEVER goes away.

But with three kids, I'll never own a bike again.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Nope...  I can't

I honestly put a pot of thought into it

Can't do it
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By:

Peak retardation was back in the 1970s in Celina Ohio when one of the local idiots decided to streak naked past a popular downtown bar.  Popped a wheelie, went over backwards and slid down the street.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Yea, it's a weird angle, as you know it is much larger when you are there. I rode down to Bocas del Toro, Panama. I wish I had spent another month in Mexico.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

@Canoeguy

Cool trip, I recall you mentioning at least one (solo?)  Central American round but couldn't recall destination.

Attachment Attached File

Not Triumph, but kinda esoteric. Crazy what you find getting done in back alley courtyard workshops in odd parts of the world

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#50]
OP, you should make a poll. It seems that the people that are advising you not to get a bike have never ridden, or ridden very little. It also seems that the non-riders have a disproportionate number of friends that have been killed on a bike. I’d just have 4 options
1. Have you ridden more than 10,000 miles in your life (keeping total mileage down so even the most casual riders will be included 1=get a bike, 2= don’t. 3&4 are the same, but for people that really haven’t ridden
Page / 6
Top Top