So I went to looked over a couple bikes this morning

KLX 300
CRF 300l
XR 150
TW200
KLR 650

I really liked the two Hondas as far as fit for me went

I'm thinking a CRF 300 would make sense
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/IMG_20240417_105025106_HDR_jpg-3190309.JPG

Though the XR150 looks stupid fun too
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/IMG_20240417_104933599_HDR_jpg-3190310.JPG
View Quote
In my opinion, your two choices should be between the CRF300L and KLX300S. Realize the Kawasaki has better suspension components off the showroom floor and is sprung a little stiffer. That's a bigger deal than most new riders would think and gives the Kawasaki an edge for doing dirt bike stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:44:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blueline84:
Check out the KTM 390 Adventure….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/363238/IMG_8690-3189386.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

That's my next bike!

ETA:  Only I will have the high front fender and trim off the rear plate, stop & turns.

This is working for now.  '12 350XCF-W
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:50:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#3]
I have a KLR250 and KLX250s.  One first is home with me and the second is garaged in CO and carbed for altitude.

They are great bikes, but they are not really fun to ride for long when the speed limit is 65+.  I have a sprocket kit for the KLX which will make highways even worse.  The stock gearing is too tall for mountain roads IMO.

Have considered selling the KLR250 and getting something similar but bigger.  Not sure the off-road capability of the KLR250 is worth the small engine.

ETA:  Rode a TW200 years ago at a MSF class.  It was a great bike, but it's niche is slower speeds and trails.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

I love my KTM 500, but it’s way better as a second bike. The maintenance schedule on a KTM is not ideal for an everyday bike.
View Quote

Yeah.... I would have to disagree, those intervals are for race conditions.  Just did a tour of Baja 1000 Miles, only maintenance was lubing chains every day.  Getting ready for the WYBDR, plan on chain lube and air filters max.   Look at the real world results.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By stumpy89:

Yeah.... I would have to disagree, those intervals are for race conditions.  Just did a tour of Baja 1000 Miles, only maintenance was lubing chains every day.  Getting ready for the WYBDR, plan on chain lube and air filters max.   Look at the real world results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gspointer:

I love my KTM 500, but it’s way better as a second bike. The maintenance schedule on a KTM is not ideal for an everyday bike.

What you're describing doesn't sound like an everyday bike to me.

Sounds like one specialty event after another.  But you didn't mention if you're riding it every day in between those events, so maybe that is what you are doing???
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

1000 miles seems to be at the far end of what anyone is doing though. You only have one liter of oil.

As for lubing chains...I quit a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#7]
Love my Yamaha WR250R.  Small enough to haul on a trailer hitch carrier and pick up when dropped.  Big enough to go anywhere and carry whatever I need.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

Do the 300. But I would buy used first. That way it is easily sold at little to no loss if you buy it at the right price.

I have a 150cc motorcycle. I love it. I am telling you to not get a 150.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beamy:

KLX 300
CRF 300l
XR 150
TW200
KLR 650

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/IMG_20240417_105025106_HDR_jpg-3190309.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/IMG_20240417_104933599_HDR_jpg-3190310.JPG

Do the 300. But I would buy used first. That way it is easily sold at little to no loss if you buy it at the right price.

THIS ^

The XR150L isn't the CRF150L (which the States won't see)  but roughly the same power, just carb's. These sub 200cc bikes are 20 seconds + to 100kph. The 300s, WR250R, Easy 250 DS are well sub 10. Even the XT 250 is just over.

Weight capacity is 125 kg v 150 for the CRF300L Rally and 175 for the Versys 300. I don't believe any of them But the relatively capacity is accurate. Sam gave a good run down on suspension at weight for the Rally above,

Like about 5 posters above -  don't be afraid to buy used. I won't engage dealers and have never had an issue.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]

1000 miles seems to be at the far end of what anyone is doing though. You only have one liter of oil.

View All Quotes

I'd love to see an OCI at 1500km plus. I know what RFS 450 looked like 3/4 that in @90 ambient. Pushing it

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

I'd love to see an OCI at 1500km plus. I know what RFS 450 looked like 3/4 that in @90 ambient. Pushing it

View Quote

There have been a few in the CRF450L thread on ADV rider, but I wouldn't want to subject you through a few hundred pages of bickering to find them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#11]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

Sounds like one specialty event after another.  But you didn't mention if you're riding it every day in between those events, so maybe that is what you are doing???
View Quote

I think it all depends on peoples thresholds.  The shorter oil change interval doesn't really scare me away, but I fully understand why it's a hard stop for people. Same could be said for burning away 'good' tires on a run to the grocery store.

Last few oil changes on my CRF450 have all been between the 600-1000 mile mark. For the riding that I subject it too, can't say it's really been a hindrance. Certainly plenty of trips/rides/locations where it wouldn't be ideal, but that's the nature of a niche bike that does some things very well at the expense of others.

And the usual disclaimer: This is no way an endorsement for the OP to buy a CRF450 or 500 EXC.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#12]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

There have been a few in the CRF450L thread on ADV rider, but I wouldn't want to subject you through a few hundred pages of bickering to find them.
View All Quotes

Was thinking the newer KTM. And I meant UOA not OCI

From what I recall KTM EXC-F is 10 hours Motorsports and 15 otherwise. 750km.

More than double book, I'd want to see a UOA, but I'm not inclined to push shit. Disclaimer: Not meaning you are, if you are seeing ok results at 1k miles, cool. I'd just want to see a UOA before I did on the EXC

Much of this is because the factory DRZ400 6k km OCI has proven to be awful optimistic. I thought it was just my being hard on it, but it's pretty well established it's not. I thought the oil was fine. LOL Blackstone did not.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Tomorrow if I have time I'm going to head a shop about 30 min away that allegedly has an XT 250 in stock

I'd like to check one out besides the Hondas I looked at today

Plus the XT250 was the bike of Rambo
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Tomorrow if I have time I'm going to head a shop about 30 min away that allegedly has an XT 250 in stock

View Quote

My first dual sport was a TTR225 that I bought an extra set of wheels, DOT tires, and the sprocket for an XT225.

It was very fun on everything except hwy.

For your stated purpose it should be just fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#16]

My first dual sport was a TTR225 that I bought an extra set of wheels, DOT tires, and the sprocket for an XT225.

View All Quotes

Agree. Lot of peeps do Contis or RTW on XT250. Pat Williams is probably the most prominent.

https://www.2ridetheglobe.com/2015/06/

They are cool little bikes  - simple, low, honest. Early were carb'd and no real difference except they were cold blooded. But Beamy, they are soft. Which is great for comfort on road, but if you get jiggy off, you'll bottom out with regularity. As Sam pointed with the CRF300L (which I can't speak to since I've never ridden much, tho I have some time on XRE300s), really more so, you're  gonna need springs. Be fine knocking about a bit tho. It is at the lower end of 250 power, so a bit more sluggish than the newer 300, even stuff like TTR/XR/DRZ 250 -  but adequate. Gears are a bit narrow and only 5.

Going back to the original Serow they are one of my fav bikes for new riders, Low seat height and good balance so confidence. Enough power to be practical - they'll move along at 65, and top out somewhere (10-15) above, but not enjoyable on Super Slab. Simple so maint easy and long intervals and durability is tops. They get used often for hire  and outfitters - I've kept them as loaners.

There were lots of cool variants the States never saw - Supermoto, Lander, Tenere (big tank like the DR250 Djebel), but the Tricker takes the cake - a semi Trials.

YAMAHA TRICKER "viaggio in marocco"

Yammy sponsored promotional highlighting, back when it came out in Europe. As you can see they can be fun.

Can't  stress enough how much better performing bikes in this class are, compared to 150-200 commercial/farm bikes. The newer 300 ADV are more so, but the XT 250 is about what I consider the practical floor for an all arounder DS. Thought Sam Smith had a useful review of the XR150, but can't locate. This seems pretty fair tho.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2023-honda-xr150l-first-ride-motorcycle-review

As mentioned. ADVRider has more info than anyone will need on all this stuff

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
I picked up this 2010 XT-250 a few years ago for my wife. It was an ex-MSF bike with only 1800 miles on it for $2k. It's been a good little bike, sips gas but I find it feels cramped for me with the low seat height (and I'm short at 5'7" w/ a 30" inseam). I'm used to riding taller bikes. With me on it about 60 mph-ish is about all it wants to do, out here our secondary roads are 70 mph and the highways are 80 mph so the 18hp it makes means everyone is tailgating and passing you on the road. It is very nimble on the trails though.

She's 5' 1" and only 110lbs so it works for her.

My wife on new bike day

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Ok... extend it out 40 days of riding mixed street/dirt, still not the demand of a 1000 mile trek through extremes, like BAJA.  I have tested the OIL at 750miles and of sand, dirt, and gravel.  The oil was at 40% of life, even check with the ADV Rider rider crowd.  

https://rtwpaul.com/ktm-500-exc-build/

I usually change out at 500, but will not change out on the WY BDR this year.

I think it all depends on peoples thresholds.  The shorter oil change interval doesn't really scare me away, but I fully understand why it's a hard stop for people. Same could be said for burning away 'good' tires on a run to the grocery store.

Last few oil changes on my CRF450 have all been between the 600-1000 mile mark. For the riding that I subject it too, can't say it's really been a hindrance. Certainly plenty of trips/rides/locations where it wouldn't be ideal, but that's the nature of a niche bike that does some things very well at the expense of others.

And the usual disclaimer: This is no way an endorsement for the OP to buy a CRF450 or 500 EXC.

Exactly.  I rode for 400 miles in Big Bend for 3 days, and the filter was a pretty as could be, didn't even change/clean the skin.  KTM intervals are flat out race inspired, not even tour demanding real.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
So I just looked over an XT250
Attachment Attached File

I'm now in-between either it or the CFR300L

The Yamaha seems to fit me better
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Agree. Lot of peeps do Contis or RTW on XT250. Pat Williams is probably the most prominent.

They are cool little bikes  - simple, low, honest. Early were carb'd and no real difference except they were cold blooded. But Beamy, they are soft. Which is great for comfort on road, but if you get jiggy off, you'll bottom out with regularity. As Sam pointed with the CRF300L (which I can't speak to since I've never ridden much, tho I have some time on XRE300s), really more so, you're  gonna need springs. Be fine knocking about a bit tho. It is at the lower end of 250 power, so a bit more sluggish than the newer 300, even stuff like TTR/XR/DRZ 250 -  but adequate. Gears are a bit narrow and only 5.

Going back to the original Serow they are one of my fav bikes for new riders, Low seat height and good balance so confidence. Enough power to be practical - they'll move along at 65, and top out somewhere (10-15) above, but not enjoyable on Super Slab. Simple so maint easy and long intervals and durability is tops. They get used often for hire  and outfitters - I've kept them as loaners.

There were lots of cool variants the States never saw - Supermoto, Lander, Tenere (big tank like the DR250 Djebel), but the Tricker takes the cake - a semi Trials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9F_6ND3k4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKJrDfBktPk

Yammy sponsored promotional highlighting, back when it came out in Europe. As you can see they can be fun.

Can't  stress enough how much better performing bikes in this class are, compared to 150-200 commercial/farm bikes. The newer 300 ADV are more so, but the XT 250 is about what I consider the practical floor for an all arounder DS. Thought Sam Smith had a useful review of the XR150, but can't locate. This seems pretty fair tho.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2023-honda-xr150l-first-ride-motorcycle-review

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9F_6ND3k4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKJrDfBktPk

Thanks for the info, I'd say I'm now between the CFR300L and the XT250, I'm probably favoring the XT a little bit
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]

KLX 300
CRF 300l
XR 150
TW200
KLR 650

View Quote

The reviews on the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 have been hitting YT in the last day or three, it looks like something you might consider. My wife rode the original Himalayan  800 miles across the Andes in Colombia when I first met her on a guided adventure tour and she really like it. This is a ground-up redo and a much better bike from all accounts. I gotta be honest, it looks impressive and the price is certainly right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Thanks for the info, I'd say I'm now between the CFR300L and the XT250, I'm probably favoring the XT a little bit
View Quote

Have you been able to find a local Crf300L low version? I wonder how much lower they made it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I have a 125cc motorcycle and I love it. I’m with you in telling him to not get a bike that small as an only bike as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of the ones you listed I would buy the Kawasaki.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I run a motorcycle school and currently operate two XR150L Hondas.

I cannot offer any advice regarding off road.  We operate these on pavement exclusively.

I liked the sub-$3000 price on the Xr150.  They are fantastic little training bikes.  But there are faults:  They are incredibly cold blooded, and a pain in the ass to start.  And while they handle well, the parts are really less than inspiring:  Front fort tubes, for example, are much smaller than a normal dual sport.  I have not run these long enough to have an accurate opinion, but I have doubts about life span.

My understanding is these are basically "made for third world" machines that are now being imported as low dollar entry bikes.  I would be far more enthusiastic about a Yamaha XT or a competing 250/300 cc yamasuzikawahonda.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#26]
Edit became dupe...
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#27]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

The reviews on the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 have been hitting YT in the last day or three, it looks like something you might consider. My wife rode the original Himalayan  800 miles across the Andes in Colombia when I first met her on a guided adventure tour and she really like it. This is a ground-up redo and a much better bike from all accounts. I gotta be honest, it looks impressive and the price is certainly right.
View Quote

I considered picking up a Himalayan 450 later this year, but my heart is set on a CF Moto 450 Ibex. It was just unveiled officially in the Phillipines and all the 50ish reviews are positive.  Can't wait to get my hands on one. Have my CF Moto rep snagging one when they are released here in the states late this year.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Holy shit! What a way to meet a wife. My hat is off to you, sir.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#29]
Originally Posted By frozenny:
I run a motorcycle school and currently operate two XR150L Hondas.

I cannot offer any advice regarding off road.  We operate these on pavement exclusively.

I liked the sub-$3000 price on the Xr150.  They are fantastic little training bikes.  But there are faults:  They are incredibly cold blooded, and a pain in the ass to start.  And while they handle well, the parts are really less than inspiring:  Front fort tubes, for example, are much smaller than a normal dual sport.  I have not run these long enough to have an accurate opinion, but I have doubts about life span.

My understanding is these are basically "made for third world" machines that are now being imported as low dollar entry bikes.  I would be far more enthusiastic about a Yamaha XT or a competing 250/300 cc yamasuzikawahonda.
View Quote

XR150L fit into the low cost commercial end of sub 200cc, delivery, runabout, cheap transport.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tho not having features traditional ag bikes have had, shrouded chains, multiple racks, drums, rampantly dated systems for simplicity, they've become popular in OZ, mostly replacing the CTX200 for stockman (hence the Kawa KL250 name) and cattle stations.

Attachment Attached File

In almost all "3rd world" markets, the carb'd XR isn't desirable any longer. In ASEAN markets the CRF125L and CB150X/R (exactly what they sound like)  and in Brazil the various CG160 are PGM-FI and take its place - the NXR above is prolly the top 160. In Europe the CB125s are the A2 license bikes - and definitely more sophisticated.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#30]

Holy shit! What a way to meet a wife. My hat is off to you, sir.
View Quote

Actually, I didn’t meet her there-I met her in HER sport touring riding club a few months before that trip was scheduled…. Her son sent her as a gift and she had no idea what Adventure riding was, lol. She saw the ad and thought it was some “riding adventure” and as someone with a shitload of riding it just sounded like fun because she grew up in Mexico and swapped kids with two mexican families thru the year as a kid Fortunately, a friend of hers in the club is this badass GS Trophy girl from Russia (She’s as tough as woodpecker lips) that had a course in her back yard and arranged an enduro for her to learn some dirt technique before she left.

Get this….. she was 67 years old at the time… That R1200R I rode down to TN was hers and she also has a Triumph Street Triple 765RS (her favorite bike ever) and a tricked out SV650 with fork cartridges, a Penske shock and CBR1000 brakes.

She came with her own riding lawn mower, gun safe, ammo, and two trailers too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#31]
The specs of the two look fairly close and for what you are wanting to do probably either would work. Looking at specs it seems like the Honda is more modern. Inverted forks and quite a bit more travel front and rear. Six speed might be nice but I'm guessing with the power these have it's not as big a deal as it is on bigger faster/more powerful bikes. The extra half gallon of gas on the Yamaha is nice.

Are you only looking at new bikes? 
So I just looked over an XT250
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/IMG_20240418_132245878_jpg-3191236.JPG

I'm now in-between either it or the CFR300L

The Yamaha seems to fit me better
View Quote

View Quote

What fits better?
Originally Posted By buckstrucks:
Out of the ones you listed I would buy the Kawasaki.
View Quote

How come?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#32]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

How come?
View Quote
Better suspension components, a bit more power and less weight, and the aftermarket is probably better.

The Kawasaki is the better dirt bike.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#33]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Better suspension components, a bit more power and less weight, and the aftermarket is probably better.

View All Quotes

How come?

Can you elaborate on the suspension? I have no knowledge on these bikes I just looked at the specs and the Honda hat a lot more travel and inverted forks seems to be the more modern setup.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:04:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#34]

Can you elaborate on the suspension? I have no knowledge on these bikes I just looked at the specs and the Honda hat a lot more travel and inverted forks seems to be the more modern setup.
View All Quotes

How come?

The KLX300 also has inverted forks and comparable travel. However the Kawasaki has forks that are damping adjustable, and a piggyback reservoir rear shock that's preload, damping, and rebound adjustable.

The CRF300L only has a a preload adjustable rear shock with no piggyback reservoir. And non adjustable forks.

Basically the Honda has much more entry level suspension and it's also sprung softer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#35]
Also a point in the XT250’s favor is the fact that it is supported by Cogent Dynamics for suspension.

Fantastic suspension.

It’s more speedy than many may consider but talk about transforming a bike!

ETA: looks like they also have a rear shock for the CRF300L
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Also a point in the XT250's favor is the fact that it is supported by Cogent Dynamics for suspension.

Fantastic suspension.

It's more speedy than many may consider but talk about transforming a bike!

ETA: looks like they also have a rear shock for the CRF300L
View Quote
Yeah but keep in mind that's just getting those components to a somewhat more usable point. The stuff that comes on the KLX300 is still superior to that, and is easily serviceable and can be revalved to your needs as well.

This is what you're getting from the factory with Kawasaki.

Attachment Attached File

I've ridden a KLX on a motocross track and some pretty gnarly trails and I was impressed with what it has stock in the way of suspension.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah but keep in mind that's just getting those components to a somewhat more usable point. The stuff that comes on the KLX300 is still superior to that, and is easily serviceable and can be revalved to your needs as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200145/IMG_2046_jpeg-3192256.JPG

I've ridden a KLX on a motocross track and some pretty gnarly trails and I was impressed with what it has stock in the way of suspension.
View Quote

Ah’ you think Cogent is just more usable? It is essentially custom USA made stuff that is top notch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:58:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#38]

Ah' you think Cogent is just more usable? It is essentially custom USA made stuff that is top notch.
View Quote
If you don't have a piggyback shock, your fluid temp will raise quickly off road. This will also make needing suspension service more frequent as you're cooking the oil. And that cogent shock is still a non piggyback and smaller overall unit to the stock Kawasaki shock.

The XT cogent stuff looks like it's just your typical cartridge emulators a lot of companies make for open bath conventional forks.

I'm not saying it's bad stuff. It's just that the Kawasaki is objectively the better dirt bike in stock form due to the components it has.

Edit: after looking at that CRF cogent shock it's only rebound and preload adjustable. No damping. So it's still a pretty basic shock with less features.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The KLX300 also has inverted forks and comparable travel. However the Kawasaki has forks that are damping adjustable, and a piggyback reservoir rear shock that's preload, damping, and rebound adjustable.

The CRF300L only has a a preload adjustable rear shock with no piggyback reservoir. And non adjustable forks.

Basically the Honda has much more entry level suspension and it's also sprung softer.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200145/IMG_2046_jpeg-3192256.JPG

View Quote

Does that apply to the XT250 or are you suggesting OP get the KLX 300? He said he was looking at the XT250 and CRF300L
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#40]

Does that apply to the XT250 or are you suggesting OP get the KLX 300? He said he was looking at the XT250 and CRF300L
View Quote
The XT has conventional forks and even more basic overall suspension than the CRF. I'm merely pointing out some of the differences in the models that are often overlooked by new riders.

And I was reaping to your question "How come?" When that other member said they would chose the Kawasaki out of the bikes OP listed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#41]
If you don't have a piggyback shock, your fluid temp will raise quickly off road. This will also make needing suspension service more frequent as you're cooking the oil. And that cogent shock is still a non piggyback and smaller overall unit to the stock Kawasaki shock.

The XT cogent stuff looks like it's just your typical cartridge emulators a lot of companies make for open bath conventional forks.

I'm not saying it's bad stuff. It's just that the Kawasaki is objectively the better dirt bike in stock form due to the components it has.

Edit: after looking at that CRF cogent shock it's only rebound and preload adjustable. No damping. So it's still a pretty basic shock with less features.
View Quote

Don’t underestimate the value of well developed valving…. I’ve found hat the difference in good suspension to be the sophistication of the damping in the initial portion of the stroke once spring rates are right. People making suspension were getting that right long before Piggyback suspension came along.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#42]
TW200 is always the right answer.  

I have 2 of them.  One that I ride around the backstreets, and to work when the weather is nice, and one that stays at the farm to ride the Forrest service roads and the logging roads on my property.

I'm 6' 2" 230 and they get me anywhere I need to go.

If you need to ride 60+ MPH for extended miles, get something bigger.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#43]

Don't underestimate the value of well developed valving . I've found hat the difference in good suspension to be the sophistication of the damping in the initial portion of the stroke once spring rates are right. People making suspension were getting that right long before Piggyback suspension came along.
View Quote
Heat build up off road is a much bigger factor than other forms of riding. Which is why every performance dirt bike suspension uses a piggyback reservoir shock. It's been that way for decades.

I'm not saying valving doesn't matter. But starting with better components will always have an advantage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Trail Riding a 50cc Honda Ruckus outside of Homer AK
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I first bought a KLX 400 and really liked it.  A friend had a CFR250L and it was a much more comfortable bike to cruise around the back roads and gravel roads.  Kept both a while then sold the 400.  The 250 just does not have grunt to get up and over things like small trees across the trail or little creeks and ditches.  Give the throttle a quick twist on that thing and the front end came up and over the obstacle while the rear just bounced over.  250 will not do that.  I wish I had a bigger bike again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Robertpistol] [#46]
I'd say at least a 700cc. Even if you don't plan on abusing it and going like a bat out of hell, that extra power can save your life. You don't want to be crowded by cars and trucks if you can help it. Having the ability to get ahead quickly is worth it.

Off road however, a 300 would be OK imo.  Even the 50cc Honda Ruckus that was posted two posts above mine is even adequate for trails if you can tolerate being capped at about 40 to 50 mph tops. Those are cool as hell and very fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#47]
The XT has conventional forks and even more basic overall suspension than the CRF. I'm merely pointing out some of the differences in the models that are often overlooked by new riders.

And I was reaping to your question "How come?" When that other member said they would chose the Kawasaki out of the bikes OP listed.
View All Quotes

Right but I hadn't seen OP mention the KLX which is why I was confused about the suspension comment because he had asked between the CRF and XT.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Omega-1] [#48]
Yesterday at the lake.

Still in the break in period. Have almost 800 miles on it, have had it up to 65 on some back roads for short periods, didn't seem to struggle to maintain it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#49]
So 2400 miles
View Quote

At 2401 the engine explodes and the wheels fall off.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

I have a Himalayan Scram 411, like it a lot, but wish I had held off for the new Himalayan.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/New_Bike_jpg-3189389.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Let me just throw this out there…my DR650 very lightly modified weighs about the same.

But I think the CRF is likely a fine bike like most every bike nowadays.

Do consider the new Himalayan though…it’s looking pretty interesting.

I have a Himalayan Scram 411, like it a lot, but wish I had held off for the new Himalayan.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/New_Bike_jpg-3189389.JPG

A Scram411 would suit OP right down to the ground.  I love mine.  And there are dealers out there desperately trying to move them (new model coming).  Get one, they're cool bikes.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top