Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2024 11:37:51 AM EDT
Always considered myself a car guy. Now it’s time for my midlife crisis/ have disposable income car.

I had an FD Rx7 back in the day. Been on a Volvo kick for a while as well. Currently have a 2004 v70r. While it’s fun it doesn’t have that wow factor. It has common catastrophic issues. Parts are expensive. Upgrades make the catastrophic issues far more likely etc.

Then
Attachment Attached File

Now

Attachment Attached File

I have always dreamed of having an imported Rhd jdm car. Like everyone else I’d rather have a skyline/supra/nsx. But those come with a hefty price tag. And since I live in a place where a car like that might be used 4-5 months a year it’s probably not worth it.

So I’m looking at evos. Still a “jdm legend” if you will. But at a fraction of the cost of the skylines and Supra’s of the world. Also a more practical car with 4drs and a as a wrc car that I could drive in the winter(idk if I will).

I’m looking mainly at the evo 4/5/6(5 and 6 preferred for the updated front end that I think looks better; but wouldn’t pass on a 4 for the right price.)

I know I could get a 7/8/9 for about the same price. But it doesn’t fulfill my childhood dream of having a jdm car. And the 4/5/6 is what I grew up seeing in games magazines etc. Also idk if it’s just how Americans treat their cars vs Japanese. But most 7/8/9 that have spent their life here are pretty beat at this point. Where as the 4/5/6 being imported all seem pretty clean. Maybe they just don’t import the beat ones. Though I have seen a few.

I know the 4g63 doesn’t have the best reliability reputation. But I don’t think it could be anywhere near as bad as my 13b in the Rx7. I’m hoping a lot of that is stemming from people modifying and beating on eclipses and then acting surprised when they blow up.

I’d probably do a few mods. But nothing crazy. Just enjoy the car.

A lot of my friends had DSMs back in the day. Don’t recall a lot of catastrophic issues and they all seemed to have fun with them. One even had one running sub 10 second quarters. And that was back when that was quite an achievement.

So anyone got anything I should know before getting involved in the evo/4g63/imported rhd car game?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No real input. A kid my brother knew in highschool bought one of the first Evo MRs in the state. It was fast, silly fast for a kid. Pretty sure he was a drug dealer
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the input. Very close to pulling the trigger on an evo 4.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:01:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Awdroadracer] [#3]
I've owned/built a handful of RHD/Imported vehicles.

I currently have an evo.

I would not recommend a RHD car over a LHD.

CONS :

1) They do not hold their value compared to a LHD

2) Parts are a pain the ass to get. Literal PITA.
(must import everything /months on end of waiting to receive parts)

3) So many shady importers / rust

4) Finding pdf/mechanical friendly information is a struggle

5) Shifting with non-dominant hand isn't preferred

6) Drive through / Pay stations require you to unbuckle belt or exit vehicle and walk around

7) Imported cars are less desirable in the market place AKA harder to sell

8) If you can't wrench yourself, you will find issues finding any places that can help you with it
- Shops will have problems sourcing parts
- Shops will have problems finding data

The only real competitor on the streets is a R35 GTR / Audi R8 / Z06 compared to the evo.

If I were you, I would sit on the California / Vegas evo pages and snag a low mileage 9. There are a good amount of superb condition evo's for sale on them. The hype of a RHD is cool for the first few months, but it will fade on you. The hassles will start kicking in and you will grow tired of it. You can keep a mint 9 for the upcoming years. Drive it. Mod it. Still make money on the appreciation value if you ever want to sell.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I totally get the the being a novelty that will be a pain in the ass. But I still have to experience it for myself.

Going down to the lower 48 to buy a evo 4 this weekend. Going to store it in Arizona for a few months. Have a shop go over it. Replace the fluids timing belt etc. then take it on an epic road trip back to Alaska.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool, I've always wanted an Evo!

I dont *think* the parts situation will be that bad, as lots of parts will be the same as a Mirage.

However, I did see in some threads on evolutionM.net that parts for that gen are getting hard to find?  

Looking forward to the grand reveal!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
An engineer I work with is a big car guy that dealt with his power cravings with an old Camaro. Then he sold it and bought one of these to take it's place.

When I asked him how he liked it after a couple months he said "It is an uninspiring replacement".
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I can see how he can think that, an awd turbo car can be a lot more tame feeling than a high hp V8 rwd car.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations!

So, how do you like it so far?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s cool. Some hiccups in the buying process and some delayed/canceled flights that really made the whole thing a nightmare and take away some of the “wow I just made a childhood dream come true” feeling.

Was easier to get used to rhd than I figured. What might be even weirder than driving it is riding as a passenger on the left side.

Knowing kph to mph conversions is gonna take some time.

The headlights are absolutely horrible. Once it got dark I would just pick a semi truck and follow it.

Did have the clutch slave cylinder start to go/go at the tail end of the 500 miles I drove it. Was able to get it to its destination. But a lot more stop and go traffic and it likely would have been a tow truck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
It’s cool. Some hiccups in the buying process and some delayed/canceled flights that really made the whole thing a nightmare and take away some of the “wow I just made a childhood dream come true” feeling.

Was easier to get used to rhd than I figured. What might be even weirder than driving it is riding as a passenger on the left side.

Knowing kph to mph conversions is gonna take some time.

The headlights are absolutely horrible. Once it got dark I would just pick a semi truck and follow it.

Did have the clutch slave cylinder start to go/go at the tail end of the 500 miles I drove it. Was able to get it to its destination. But a lot more stop and go traffic and it likely would have been a tow truck.
View Quote

Could be worse I think, good you got there on its own power.

Headlights will suck being RH traffic, Mirage lights will fit or do a retrofit?

Looks like a GSR, everything working on it like the AYC?  It looks like it has at least suspension mods too?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#12]
Originally Posted By g300d:

Could be worse I think, good you got there on its own power.

Headlights will suck being RH traffic, Mirage lights will fit or do a retrofit?

Looks like a GSR, everything working on it like the AYC?  It looks like it has at least suspension mods too?
View Quote

Gonna look into a retro fit. At least to get it back here. I don’t plan on driving it in the winter and it’s light out all summer long here so headlights won’t be a big deal. But to get it here they were absolutely horrible.

Intermittent ayc light. Gonna have an evo shop look at it. But plan to replace it with a more rs style lsds in the future. Systems like that are cool but become a real pain as they age.

Has some coilovers on it. Not sure what brand. It’s how it came from Japan. Doesn’t ride bad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:

Gonna look into a retro fit. At least to get it back here. I don’t plan on driving it in the winter and it’s light out all summer long here so headlights won’t be a big deal. But to get it here they were absolutely horrible.

Intermittent ayc light. Gonna have an evo shop look at it. But plan to replace it with a more rs style lsds in the future. Systems like that are cool but become a real pain as they age.

Has some coilovers on it. Not sure what brand. It’s how it came from Japan. Doesn’t ride bad.
View Quote

I just realized your bumper holes for the lights are vacant, another way to get more light.  Personally conflicted with doing a retrofit as I think projectors might make the front look weird.  Also I think the lens is fluted and affect the beam.

Yeah I think you would know about cool systems that become a pain as they age with your Volvo experience.  I was leery of anything with Four-C.

Any power mods plannned?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:09:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rosta97] [#14]
Originally Posted By g300d:

I just realized your bumper holes for the lights are vacant, another way to get more light.  Personally conflicted with doing a retrofit as I think projectors might make the front look weird.  Also I think the lens is fluted and affect the beam.

Yeah I think you would know about cool systems that become a pain as they age with your Volvo experience.  I was leery of anything with Four-C.

Any power mods plannned?
View Quote

Yeah idk how they would look. But do need something just for function.

The factory fogs are in the trunk. One lens is broken. Previous owner put a stm intercooler in and claims they wouldn’t fit with it. I didn’t check to confirm.

Not initially. Some gram lites will be the first mod. Most likely white. Maybe eventually get it into the 400hp range. But nothing crazy.

I actually have never had a 4c issue surprisingly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I was wondering about that intercooler, it didnt look stock but wasnt sure.

Subbed to see how it goes, enjoy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top