Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst]
Mother in law has a Kia Sorento. Something like 2010. It's got an odd one I've never come across.

When turning the steering wheel it make a light knocking sound. Can start it up and run lock to lock and it makes noise as long as the steering rack is moving. Can feel a slight vibration at the same frequency as the knock. Stop turning the steering wheel and it goes away.

Seems to happen when driving or stationary.

There is some grease, oil, whatever on the boot on one side of the steering rack but power steering fluid is full but a little dirty. I'm almost wondering if the PS pump is dying.

Not something I've come across before. Ideas?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Could be a dozen different things.

Get the front end in the air to unload the suspension, see if it still does it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Strut mount bushing I'd bet. Pretty rhythmic?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Narrow down when it happens.

Sprinters get a good pop pop pop when you turn exactly every 90 degrees. The slip in the steering shaft sticks and pops as the u joints go around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Strut mount bushing I'd bet. Pretty rhythmic?
View Quote

Extremely rhythmic. Doesn't really seem to vary with the speed the steering wheel is spun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Could be a dozen different things.

Get the front end in the air to unload the suspension, see if it still does it.

View Quote

That's the next step.

At this point it doesn't matter if the vehicle is moving or not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
Narrow down when it happens.

Sprinters get a good pop pop pop when you turn exactly every 90 degrees. The slip in the steering shaft sticks and pops as the u joints go around.
View Quote

Happens the entire time there is steering input. If the steering rack is pushing the knuckles one way or another it happen.

Vehicle can be stationary or moving. Doesn't seem to matter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Possibly a steering wheel coupler? It was a common issue on Kia and Hyundai, happened to my wife's Sonata. It was only a $7 part but took hours to tear apart the dash and steering column to replace.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By blt-2-drg:
Possibly a steering wheel coupler? It was a common issue on Kia and Hyundai, happened to my wife's Sonata. It was only a $7 part but took hours to tear apart the dash and steering column to replace.
View Quote

I thought about that. Haven't been able to look at it again.

With the steering damper or tie rods I'd expect to hear or feel play with the engine off. Nada. I've only been able to hear the noise with the engine running.

Still need to lift the front end and take dog in more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top