Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2024 10:24:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LurchAddams]
Oh well.  

Over the years, we have grown rapidly with multiple factories scaling around the globe. With this rapid growth there has been duplication of roles and job functions in certain areas. As we prepare the company for our next phase of growth, it is extremely important to look at every aspect of the company for cost reductions and increasing productivity.
   As part of this effort, we have done a thorough review of the organization and made the difficult decision to reduce our headcount by more than 10% globally. There is nothing I hate more, but it must be done. This will enable us to be lean, innovative and hungry for the next growth phase cycle.
   I would like to thank everyone who is departing Tesla for their hard work over the years. I'm deeply grateful for your many contributions to our mission and we wish you well in your future opportunities. It is very difficult to say goodbye.
   For those remaining, I would like to thank you in advance for the difficult job that remains ahead. We are developing some of the most revolutionary technologies in auto, energy and artificial intelligence. As we prepare the company for the next phase of growth, your resolve will make a huge difference in getting us there.

Thanks,
   Elon

https://electrek.co/2024/04/15/tesla-lays-off-more-than-10-of-its-global-workforce/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy.   I admire Elon, but sure wouldn’t want to work for him. In Any capacity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
What once was Positive is now Negative
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Crazy.   I admire Elon, but sure wouldn’t want to work for him. In Any capacity.
View Quote

Depends on the compensation package.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:28:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JG_Wentworth] [#4]
This should be good for Tesla stock. Time to buy
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Gee, didn't see competition coming.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
My employer laid off about 1% earlier this year.

It happens unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The times they are a changing....

Are you prepared for it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By walther1978:
View Quote

Is that a a battery reference?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
That’s about 14,000 people. That’s a big layoff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By walther1978:
View Quote

Such is life with DC...
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#11]
10% is a big layoff, sucks but I cant say I'm surprised.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that more or less than he axed at Twatter?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:
View Quote

Yeah... I don't know.  I've been riding the TSLA roller coaster and started to sell off in the last year.  The electric car market is getting crowded.  I think people are going to find that a used Tesla isn't terribly valuable (due to the battery replacement costs), and TSLA is going to lose some luster.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

nailed it

not a fan of the 'eccentric genius' personality type

i can respect it -- but can't imagine having to 'tolerate it' in the workplace
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Just did
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Some will blame the UAW.............
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Apple just laid off 600+ people from their CA location. More coming..
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
View Quote

A lot less than Twitter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:47:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gspointer] [#19]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Gee, didn't see competition coming.

View Quote

The competition being the Whitehouse subsidizing unions.
ETA with our tax dollars
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nope.   It really doesn’t.    He’d have to pay me 5 million a year to proof-read / edit his tweets, with a guaranteed 2 year contract.

He hasn’t called me yet for that job, and there isn’t another job I can think of that he could offer.  
I’d fly a plane for him, for the same compensation, but that’s more than his whole flight department earns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Since Biden got in hiring is slim lay offs on rise.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Chinese domestic car sales collapsed and the government is heavily subsidizing production, so they're exporting their EV's at bottom dollar and flooding foreign markets.  China is pushing their people into domestic brands for practically everything because their overall exports are sharply falling despite the EV's, in retaliation for US/global tech sanctions, and likely to reduce the shock of a complete severance of trade if Taiwan comes to a head in a few years. Europe couldn't afford the subsidies any more and largely let them lapse.  Nearly all the people in the US who wanted an electric car already got one, everybody else wants ICE or hybrid and the Biden administration isn't yet willing to beat them with a stick to gain compliance in an election year.  And somehow people in the US still won't believe the White House and the press when they insist that the economy is fantastic.

It's a tough market.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Nope.   It really doesn’t.    He’d have to pay me 5 million a year to proof-read / edit his tweets, with a guaranteed 2 year contract.

He hasn’t called me yet for that job, and there isn’t another job I can think of that he could offer.  
I’d fly a plane for him, for the same compensation, but that’s more than his whole flight department earns.
View Quote

I rest my case!
If I could pull in enough short term to make up for what I'd be giving up I would consider it. Going in knowing it would be short term and success driven. I would never let my kids work on the line, however.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder howuch of that is the solar company.  One of my friends works for a giant solar power company and they just announced they are cutting 30+ percent of the company.  My friend says it looks like they are aiming for closer to 50 percent by the time the dust settles.  Sales have absolutely tanked on solar the last two years

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I wonder howuch of that is the solar company.  One of my friends works for a giant solar power company and they just announced they are cutting 30+ percent of the company.  My friend says it looks like they are aiming for closer to 50 percent by the time the dust settles.  Sales have absolutely tanked on solar the last two years

View Quote
China is also flooding the solar market.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I haven’t met a happy employee at Tesla.  Turnover is high.  In many areas they seriously lack headcount and it shows (service, parts, warranty).  If you know someone who has had to deal with them it’s a nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

Yeah... I don't know.  I've been riding the TSLA roller coaster and started to sell off in the last year.  The electric car market is getting crowded.  I think people are going to find that a used Tesla isn't terribly valuable (due to the battery replacement costs), and TSLA is going to lose some luster.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

Time is coming soon. Older Teslas are getting up there in miles.   I think it will largely depend on Tesla's batter production and if they can get the cost of replacements drastically reduced.  If they can get a battery swap down to 5k similar to a motor and transmission replacement in a shop they'll be able to retain some value.

However it pans out competition probably isn't a worry.  The other manufacturers will never be able to come close to Tesla's battery price since they don't produce the cells. Teslas competition is going to have shit for high mile value in comparison and further boost Tesla as the only legit ecar option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
View All Quotes

Their panels are Chinese.  They only sell and install them.  People just arent buying .  Nobody willing to invest more on a new home build with current mortgage rates as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tamu94:
I haven't met a happy employee at Tesla.  Turnover is high.  In many areas they seriously lack headcount and it shows (service, parts, warranty).  If you know someone who has had to deal with them it's a nightmare.
View Quote
In their service shops they are always looking for paint and body guys.  Top tier techs won't work there because they demand weekends and overtime hours. Pay is good but we aren't doing that. So they end up with young inexperienced guys and a high turn over rate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Wonder what most of them make
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Time is coming soon. Older Teslas are getting up there in miles.   I think it will largely depend on Tesla's batter production and if they can get the cost of replacements drastically reduced.  If they can get a battery swap down to 5k similar to a motor and transmission replacement in a shop they'll be able to retain some value.

However it pans out competition probably isn't a worry.  The other manufacturers will never be able to come close to Tesla's battery price since they don't produce the cells. Teslas competition is going to have shit for high mile value in comparison and further boost Tesla as the only legit ecar option.
View Quote
There have been several claims of battery tech breakthroughs in the past year.  Toyota said they can halve the cost or double the range with one they expect to enter production in a year or two.  Couple of credible labs say they've got revolutionary batteries cooking.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I’ve been through a layoff of this percentage.

The first 5 is easy, second five is harder but doable.

They will be fine and stronger for it.  

Seems like they do this every few years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#35]
We make some stuff for SpaceX here, probably more at some of our other divisions (additive and exotic alloys like C-103 niobium alloy).   The only interaction I’ve had with any of his employees was a french or canadien guy who came here for a quality audit .  
I was not impressed.   But I have disdain in general for all such quality systems/ quality auditors.  I’m surprised Elon would allow someone so dull to be hired , but who knows if the guy lasted long.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Time to buy more shares
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:

A lot less than Twitter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:

A lot less than Twitter.

Not by percentage.

I wonder how much of this has to do with AI and automation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
We make some stuff for SpaceX here, probably more at some of our other divisions (additive and exotic alloys like C-103 niobium alloy).   The only interaction I’ve had with any of his employees was a french or canadien guy who came here for a quality audit .  
I was not impressed.   But I have disdain in general for all such quality systems/ quality auditors.  I’m surprised Elon would allow someone so dull to be hired , but who knows if the guy lasted long.
View Quote

A dull quality auditor doing a subcontractor audit.

Crazy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard] [#39]
Automotive as a whole is hurting, not just Tesla.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#41]
There have been several claims of battery tech breakthroughs in the past year.  Toyota said they can halve the cost or double the range with one they expect to enter production in a year or two.  Couple of credible labs say they've got revolutionary batteries cooking.
View Quote

The "battery breakthrough!" has been "just around the corner - coming soon!" Every.  Single. Year...for at least 20 years now. So, the wise person takes those annual "breakthrough!" claims as the vaporware that they are.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#42]
The novelty is wearing off, and most people who want an EV probably already have one.  Government mandates are only good for the life of the sitting government, and not popular with the public.  Future buyers will be those who have had such a great experience with their current EV that they will go out and buy another, and who knows how big that pool will be.  Probably not very.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#43]

I rest my case!
If I could pull in enough short term to make up for what I'd be giving up I would consider it. Going in knowing it would be short term and success driven. I would never let my kids work on the line, however.
View All Quotes

I rest my case!

It must be fun being Elon.  Everyone has their price.  .   …just saying, I’d be perpetually scared of losing my job. (Even moar than I am already).
It’d be a terrible way to live.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:01:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By midmo:
The novelty is wearing off, and most people who want an EV probably already have one.  Government mandates are only good for the life of the sitting government, and not popular with the public.  Future buyers will be those who have had such a great experience with their current EV that they will go out and buy another, and who knows how big that pool will be.  Probably not very.

View Quote

The government did a very stupid thing, in denying the $7000 tax credit credits, from the very people who pay most of the taxes.    Just when I think they can’t get any greedier, they surprise me all over again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Now matter how much people here say "it's nor a car company, it's a tech company",, it is a car company, subject to the same market forces as any other car company.

Layoffs are common in car companies, btw.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Now matter how much people here say "it's nor a car company, it's a tech company",, it is a car company, subject to the same market forces as any other car company.

Layoffs are common in car companies, btw.

Layoffs are common in tech too, and nearly every other sector, outside of Government.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:08:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#47]
These layoffs are going to add to Calif Gov Gavin Newsom's woes, it affect right away, but it will affect Kali because those 14,000 are very well paid. The Dems dependence on high-tech, high-paying, non-polluting jobs are starting to backfire big time. Many of those high-tech firms are cutting back on employees, and Newsom is facing a $68 billion budget deficit.

BTW IMHO, I think the budget deficit in reality is way bigger, because Newsom is hiding some expenditures, such as future pensions. For those on the state of Kalif teat, they had better brace themselves for cutback. I know that Newsom has funded medical care for illegal aliens, btw this is not just Latin people in the mix, it is all kinds of of nationalities. And of course welfare, K-12, CSU(Calif St Univ)s, & UC(Univ of Calif)s. So much for single party rule. There is currently a recall against Newsom, and I am going to sign the petition. FJBrandon.

ETA: During Jerry Brown's rein, he also had this problem . The people/voters are not getting off that easy, expect a rise in various taxes, vehicle reg fees etc. Government doesn't generate wealth, it just redistributes it. Remember the old saying from GB's PM Margret Thatcher, “The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.” ― Margaret Thatcher.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder what their attrition rate is, and whether they need to layoff or just reduce via that attrit rate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Mighty fine engineering here...

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#50]
A big company laying off people in a time of economic stagnation?

No way!

This is elons fault.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top