BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By @realwar:
Apple just laid off 600+ people from their CA location. More coming..
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

"Lost $4 Billion" - $.99 Cents Stores Close 371 Locations Nationwide Due To Crime & Inflation
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Sailboat:
I don't see an issue?
View Quote

The rear door emergency manual door opener is just bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Janus:
Releasing the new Model 3 and it not being eligible for the tax credit has to be a significant contributor to their demand issues.
View Quote

Maybe not.  Model 3 sales may not be high regardless of the tax credit that should be ended for all EVs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
It's going to be interesting to watch smaller EV manufacturers, like Rivian and Lucid.  Rivian is eliminating a shift.

Evidently EV's are no longer a "growth" business.  
View Quote

I keep reading that but would like to see consumer sales data to support it.  Note that EVs produced but sitting on lots awaiting purchase should not be counted in end user sales figures.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

A motor and transmission in a $60k Sprinter would be somewhere around $50k. As in more than the car is worth the day you drive it off the lot. An engine and transmission hasn't been $5k since 1979 or so.

Vehicles are disposable after warranty.  ICE/EV/diesel/poptart powered. Buy, warranty, sell. If it has value at the end, good. Maybe it doesn't.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Janus:
Releasing the new Model 3 and it not being eligible for the tax credit has to be a significant contributor to their demand issues.
View Quote

Yep, that was pants on head retarded.  Not having the Model Y Juniper ready to go was also an amazingly retarded move.

Elon could cut the price of FSD (in half) and it would still be Way The F overpriced...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
That’s about 14,000 people. That’s a big layoff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
But I was told the economy is strong and everything is fine.

Run bull, run!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:40:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#9]
View Quote
My thoughts - they said they would be doing that this year.

Tesla dealer lots...  They sell direct in Texas - there are no cars for sale at the dealer lots, ever.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
It's going to be interesting to watch smaller EV manufacturers, like Rivian and Lucid.  Rivian is eliminating a shift.

View Quote

Rivian lost a hilarious amount of money in their last quarterly announcement. Like 4 billion...lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Gee, didn't see competition coming.

View Quote

They’ve been ramping for YEARS.

Cyber truck assembly line just started delivering.
Optimal time to trim the fat
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, look who's posting about Tesla! Will this thread make it over three years like the last one did?   Any day now!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

Depends on the compensation package.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Crazy.   I admire Elon, but sure wouldn't want to work for him. In Any capacity.

Jobs ads actually state that salaried positions are expected to work late nights, weekends and holidays. In addition to your 9-5.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Apple just laid off 600+ people from their CA location. More coming..
View Quote

Tons of companies have been doing layoffs for the past 6-8 months. The media isn't talking about it much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

I keep reading that but would like to see consumer sales data to support it.  Note that EVs produced but sitting on lots awaiting purchase should not be counted in end user sales figures.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Tesla deliveries for the past ~18 months are flat.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Verizon is laying off a ton of people and moving their jobs to Ireland.  Where are the articles and memes about that?  Ahh yes, that's right their CEO is on the board of blackrock so we can't talk about that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, Tesla did halt Cybertruck deliveries for a week yesterday - missed that news.  But halting delivery does not equal halting production.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:23:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FistPeso] [#18]
Originally Posted By Yor:

Is that a a battery reference?
View Quote

Sounds like a terminal reference to a highly charged situation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Jobs ads actually state that salaried positions are expected to work late nights, weekends and holidays. In addition to your 9-5.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Crazy.   I admire Elon, but sure wouldn't want to work for him. In Any capacity.

That’s a fair and needed warning for a certain type of applicant which companies like Tesla and SpaceX tend to attract.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#20]
With Tesla there is plenty of demands to share the pain, sacrifice, change the world etc.. Rubber meets road and they are just like any other corporation, probably worse.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Tesla has great deals on leased vehicles for employees.  Tesla subsidizes about half the monthly lease payment on a ~36 month lease.  
When an employee is terminated, Tesla's subsidy ends, and the employee is on the hook for the full lease payment.  

'I have bills, I have a life' | Tesla workers left shocked after sudden layoffs at Austin factory

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:

Yep, that was pants on head retarded.  Not having the Model Y Juniper ready to go was also an amazingly retarded move.

Elon could cut the price of FSD (in half) and it would still be Way The F overpriced...
View Quote

That just happened last week, at least for the subscription model....$199 / month to $99 / month.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Tesla has great deals on leased vehicles for employees.  Tesla subsidizes about half the monthly lease payment on a ~36 month lease.  
When an employee is terminated, Tesla's subsidy ends, and the employee is on the hook for the full lease payment.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2aLeoZlsbY
View Quote

How is that news?  It's a perk of employment....it's provided to employees....it's not surprising that someone who doesn't understand that is no longer employed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#24]
The whole EV thing has run its course for now, and it actually ran a lot longer because of .gov subsidies and mandates.

Made quite a few people wealthier along the way thanks to FJB spending a Trillion fucking dollars on the EV/green energy shell game.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By walther1978:
What once was Positive is now Negative
View Quote

A shocking situation, to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Wow, way to go TESLA!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By taliv:

Just did
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:
This should be good for Tesla stock. Time to buy

Just did

Well I paid $165 for it on the 15th and watched it drop to 140 the next week and then it hit $195 today and I had to bail.  Prob miss a $300 run as it will prob be $500 by mid summer but hey, 30 points and 18% isn’t bad for two weeks.  I just regret not doubling down at 145.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Additional layoffs announced.  

Their entire Supercharger team (500 employees) is being laid off.  Most of their New Vehicles team is being laid off.  
https://electrek.co/2024/04/29/tesla-conducting-more-layoffs-including-entire-supercharger-team/

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
The whole EV thing has run its course for now, and it actually ran a lot longer because of .gov subsidies and mandates.

Made quite a few people wealthier along the way thanks to FJB spending a Trillion fucking dollars on the EV/green energy shell game.
View Quote

It's good tech and worth of being developed, but at a natural rate instead of prematurely rammed down our throats by a moronic government.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Well I paid $165 for it on the 15th and watched it drop to 140 the next week and then it hit $195 today and I had to bail.  Prob miss a $300 run as it will prob be $500 by mid summer but hey, 30 points and 18% isn’t bad for two weeks.  I just regret not doubling down at 145.
View Quote

and it's down $12 from where i sold yesterday.  should i FO again?  or too soon?  ugh
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

A motor and transmission in a $60k Sprinter would be somewhere around $50k. As in more than the car is worth the day you drive it off the lot. An engine and transmission hasn't been $5k since 1979 or so.

Vehicles are disposable after warranty.  ICE/EV/diesel/poptart powered. Buy, warranty, sell. If it has value at the end, good. Maybe it doesn't.
View Quote
That's bug fuck nuts.  

There is easily 100% markup in that number.  Is that dealer labor at $300/hr or something?  A reman 3.0 sprinter diesel is 10K and 15 hours to R&R. So at $150/hour your 12ish for a new engine.   If you are buying Mercedes crate motors you're getting fucked.  

I mean if you own a Mercedes you're getting fucked but I digress...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:

View Quote

where would it be without gov subsidies and mandates?

Meaning there is a lot more baked into the cost of a Tesla than the sticker price.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By xd341:
That's bug fuck nuts.  

There is easily 100% markup in that number.  Is that dealer labor at $300/hr or something?  A reman 3.0 sprinter diesel is 10K and 15 hours to R&R. So at $150/hour your 12ish for a new engine.   If you are buying Mercedes crate motors you're getting fucked.  

I mean if you own a Mercedes you're getting fucked but I digress...
View Quote

Diesel tech labor rate at the stealership is $285 an hour where I live.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By -Blue-:

Diesel tech labor rate at the stealership is $285 an hour where I live.
View Quote
Ok...still.

Is that just diesel stuff or is that shop rate for everything?  

Diesels aren't any more difficult to work on that gas engines. Hell I'd rather work on a diesel.

Merc is fucking someone hard and dry.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Ok...still.

Is that just diesel stuff or is that shop rate for everything?  

Diesels aren't any more difficult to work on that gas engines. Hell I'd rather work on a diesel.

Merc is fucking someone hard and dry.
View Quote

Just diesel. I can't remember what the gas labor rate is, but I know it's a bit cheaper than the diesel guys.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Gee, didn't see competition coming.

View Quote

They are trying to help their competition with open patents among other moves.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

Tesla products are selling fine.  They are a niche item and will never be the universal mainstream vehicle...but in their area, they are ideal to the limits of current tech.  

View Quote

They are 4.2% of the US car market.

More market share than Subaru.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Now in the 4th week of job cuts.  So many managers have been fired - Elon Musk now has 35 people reporting to him.  
https://www.businessinsider.com/more-tesla-layoffs-workers-post-2024-5
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

P20ee/207f what's your first move
View Quote
check the quality of the DEF? or the pump/injector?

Shitty DEF is a thing so are bad sensors.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Whelp on the Civil Construction side the chopped about 55 employees but they had way too many that we dealt with.  Overall construction of the new Data Facilites and manufacturing buildings is full steam.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Tesla deliveries for the past ~18 months are flat.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126713/temp_jpg-3189455.JPG
View Quote

Thanks.  That is excellent data.  Does your source allow going back perhaps another three years?  Maybe the "growth spurt" has reached an equilibrium point.  In other words, they are at their long-term sales point until subsidies end and US regulations forcing EVs end.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Elon's got a marketing problem, Tesla is now the left's Bud light.

Laugh at them, but from a business perspective people who think climate change is a big issue are an important segment of the EV market, while Elon has become a conservative activist online, so now they are not going to buy his cars

I own a Tesla, I like the convenience of charging it in my garage, and I like the acceleration and honestly I like the tech based concepts (bit of a nerd). But I can't see how Tesla is going to survive by alienating its customers.

CEO's should probably try and stay out of politics and just focus on delivering products people want.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:
Elon's got a marketing problem, Tesla is now the left's Bud light.

Laugh at them, but from a business perspective people who think climate change is a big issue are an important segment of the EV market, while Elon has become a conservative activist online, so now they are not going to buy his cars

I own a Tesla, I like the convenience of charging it in my garage, and I like the acceleration and honestly I like the tech based concepts (bit of a nerd). But I can't see how Tesla is going to survive by alienating its customers.

CEO's should probably try and stay out of politics and just focus on delivering products people want.

View Quote
That sounds like a good theory, except nobody can give EVs away now.  Cars in general are not selling well and EVs are selling the least well.  His politics might play a part, might not, but either way the pool of buyers where the venn diagram of acceptable use case and willing to spend that money overlap is about tapped.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top