Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2024 3:46:14 PM EDT
Does anybody know the ins and outs of the 10 year rule to qualify for P&T?

In 2013 I was diagnosed with a rare cancer that in my colon and had spread to both lobes of my liver. I went in for surgery later that year and they were only able to remove about 95% of the cancer.

Since that time I have been in treatment for the cancer and receive monthly treatments that help control the symptoms associated with this particular disease and slows its spread.

I filed under the PACT act and qualified for 100% simply due to the cancer. I have a host of other GI problem from whatever it was that we were exposed to in Desert Shield/Storm.

Unless they find a cure for cancer the reality is that I will never be cured or in remission, in fact it’s slowly spreading and has started to hit the abdominal wall.

Does anybody in the know, know if the 10 year rule applies to people who have been afflicted with the disease/condition for a decade or do you have to be in the actual VA system for 10 years?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I WISH i KNEW OR COULD HELP , BUT i GOT 0. gOD bLESS.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you P&T? The 10 year rule basically says after 10 years a disability rating cannot be taken away. That's not years of VA care, years since that rating was awarded. P&T are exempt from the 10 year rule... cannot be reduced except for fraud.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have an answer for you, but there's a Veterans benefits subreddit that has a wealth of information on such things.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:44:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrwhy01] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Are you P&T? The 10 year rule basically says after 10 years a disability rating cannot be taken away. That's not years of VA care, years since that rating was awarded. P&T are exempt from the 10 year rule... cannot be reduced except for fraud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:

I am not P&T. I’m trying to figure out how the VA system works.

This year I’ll be slowly transitioning into the VA for medical care since my wife wants to retire in a couple of years; we’re using her private insurance. So I’m trying to figure out this 10 year rule stuff and the 55 year old rule, etc….

I’ve watched a few videos in Youtube but that all seem kind of douchey.

Originally Posted By 12milesout:
I don't have an answer for you, but there's a Veterans benefits subreddit that has a wealth of information on such things.

Thanks. Looks like it’s time to do some reading.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I was once a vso and never saw P&T connected to cancer. However, I've never seen a case where someone has had a cancer for ten years without remission. I feel for you, op. I would put in an intent to file today and get more from pact and secondaries to the cancer, mental health included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top