Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2024 11:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee]
I found this camera on the top shelf in my bedroom way in the back, I had forgotten all about it and haven't seen it in probably 13 or 14 years.

I think I bought that camera in 2009 and only used it a couple of years.

I stopped using it after I my then new cell phone took better pics.

So I opened up the battery cover and realized that I forgot to remove the battery's and thinking the worst I took them out.

No leaks.

The battery's are Energizer Ultimate Lithium.

I was assuming they were dead but for kicks I tested them with my multi-meter, they are rated for 1.5 volts each like any AA battery and I expected them to be completely dead.

Oh was I surprised.

So I googled them:

https://energizer.com/batteries/energizer-ultimate-lithium-batteries/

"Top Innovative Features for Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™ Batteries

#1 longest-lasting AA battery
Superior performance in extreme temperatures from -40 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit – great for use in all seasons
Holds power in storage for up to 20 years (AA/AAA)
33% lighter than alkaline batteries (AA/AAA)
Guaranteed leak-proof (based on standard use)"

So looks like they are good for another ten years.

These are some bad ass batteries.

So I put them back in the camera and turned it on.

Edit: I just realized the 12-2036 on the batteries, good till date? If so that means they were made in 2016? I know I did not change the batteries since long before that. If they were changed one of my daughters borrowed it and replaced them. Even so its still impressive they still have more than the rated voltage after sitting so long.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve been putting lithium’s in my guitars for years
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Now try it with Duracells.

I double dog dare you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I swear those batteries have voodoo magic.

I have a pistol safe that I get into basically daily. I bought the safe at the end of 2017. I put energizer lithium batteries in it...either 2 or 4, I forget.

Still the same damn batteries. Still says 98% which the discharge voltage curve may be different so I'm not reading into the % but it still works perfect and obvious has plenty of juice left.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]
A few years ago I found some L91 Energizers I'd left in a radio that were gold and red, probably from the early 90s,
and they easily had 80% of their charge remaining ~25 years later.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
5 years ago, just before my daughter was born, my friend and I decided to camp out on the back 9 of our acreage.

That night I got up to piss and dropped a Streamlight MicroStream in the dark.

During the eclipse earlier this month, we decided to camp there again with the kids we both now have, and when I got up at dawn to take a leak I looked down and saw it.

The Energizer Lithium in it was just fine, and it still works great. I've been carrying it around as a novelty for the last week or so with the original battery.

It used to be black, but a few years in the elements seemed to have given it a bit of a patina.

It showed what solid products both are.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By anachronism:
Now try it with Duracells.

I double dog dare you.
View Quote

This. Duracells would have spilled their guts in that camera before you closed the battery door.

You were wise to use those lithiums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top