User Panel

The F-100 Supe Sabre (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

Would love to have seen how the 106 would have done in nam,  if they kept it up at altitude and didn't turn fight,  just kept the high ground and dived down and fired and ran.   A very advanced fighter.
View Quote

The Gordon video I posted explains a lot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By crusaderf8u:

Wouldn’t that have been difficult with how the F-106 was tied in with the ground radars and controllers? It was really more of an interceptor much as I love the F-106. My favorite AF jet, save for maybe the F-101.
View Quote

Gordon said the real reason they weren't sent was they didn't want to deal with installing radar warning systems for the SAMs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By seeker28:
My Dad was a Misty pilot. They flew the F100F in North Vietnam and Laos.  As mentioned above,  Bury Us Upside Down and Misty books are great books on their mission.  There is also a PBS documentary.  30% of them were shot down.

View Quote

Thought the Fs were the wild weasel model too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried to find a Video of Bob Hoover doing the Saber dance at an airshow.   Evidently, youtube doesn’t have it.    Did find this however.   Interesting.   That’s 2 F-100’s that he crashed.  

Bob Hoover F-100 Super Sabre flat spin
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5j1wGaTO4

Bruce Gordon is a national treasure IMO
View Quote

Lives right up the road from me, did a seminar on the Japanese attack on Midway at our local library. Cool guy, flew in addition to the F-100, the F-102 and F-106. Both Delta's were pretty maneuverable for the time, as was the Navy's F-8.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
The F-100 Supe Sabre (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top